Just picked up my amp

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 pm

just got my 1971 Kustom Sidewinder back from the repair shop (my G & L dealer ) and what a difference !! ..... long story short as possible , I received this amp used from the late 80's on a trade .... I got hurt at work and was down for awhile and had to sell my Ovation acoustic/electric guitar to a friend because I was out of money .... being hurt the only thing I could do with out pain was play my guitar so it was a double whammy selling it .... anyway months down the road the same guy offered me this amp and old Epiphone guitar if I would put a clutch in his truck ( I was a mechanic at the time ) .... so I installed a clutch kit on a older chevy PU at home on my back with a cast on my foot to get get this package , well I could still play anway so it was good .... the amp has always had a good hum when you were not touching the guitar but I lived with it and mostly played un plugged and then in the early 90's I bought another Ovation witch I still have today ......

now that I have the elctric guitar bug I decided to send in the old Kustom out for a tune up plus I didn't know much about it anyway ..... I just picked it up today and man it sounds good , Larry installed a new cord with ground plug , replaced two bad caps and replaced the " on" light .... anyway I'm really stoked to have it fixed and thought I would share some picts of the Kustom and my new/used fender super reverb

the fender

Re: Just picked up my amp

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 am

I would LOVE to have your super-reverb !!! How much does it weight ?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:25 am

Good to hear it is all fixed. I am going to retube mine tonight! -- Darwin

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 am

surprising the Kustom with a single speaker is heavier than the Fender with 4 speakers ...lol... I would guess the Fender 60 to 65 pounds and the Kustom 80 to 85 pounds ..... I'll have to weight them but I'm not sure if I really want to know , lol , it might hurt my back thinking about lifting them if I knew what they weighed

I just started a major clean up on the Kustom , haven't really messed with it much in the last 20 years , I was surprised how good it cleaned up already ....

The Fender is pretty nice other than I poked a fargin hole in the screen on the way home :( darn it , thats how things go when you buy something old and expensive and want it to stay mint , just fugg it up on the way home is how I do it

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 am

You're right, not knowing is sometimes better (if you don't have some roadies :lol: ).
I'm in love with 4x10 fender amps, but I live on the 3rd floor (without an elevator of course) so 60 lbs qualifies as backbreaker :shocked028:

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

supereiv wrote:You're right, not knowing is sometimes better (if you don't have some roadies :lol: ).
I'm in love with 4x10 fender amps, but I live on the 3rd floor (without an elevator of course) so 60 lbs qualifies as backbreaker :shocked028:

hit the gym ;)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
supereiv wrote:You're right, not knowing is sometimes better (if you don't have some roadies :lol: ).

hit the gym ;)

Or make a point of hauling the amp up and down the stairs daily. Within a few months it will feel like 6lbs. :evilgrin:

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 pm

you two must have been military :lol:

ce qui ne nous tue pas nous rend plus fort

which doesn't kill us makes us stronger :BangBang:

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

supereiv wrote:you two must have been military :lol:

ce qui ne nous tue pas nous rend plus fort

which doesn't kill us makes us stronger :BangBang:

Marche ou crève!