Re: A story and where my brother now lives....

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks for posting Tim. I enjoyed that greatly.

I've been to Portugal before (love the place) but, being an islander myself, the Azores look even more appealing.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Gorgeous Tim, as well as Bob's pics. Funny, but the Gitaarsalon happens to be about 10 miles east of where I was born, in a place where I spent many summer afternoon swimming in het IJselmeer.

- Jos

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:26 am

Pretty cool, Tim. I wondered where Bob was living.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:07 am

Tim, great story and some beautiful photos. Thanks for posting. -- Darwin

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Cool video! Steve White has a very pleasing, story telling voice--tasty guitar chops too!

Did your Bro ship stuff there? Or just start over? I'm curious because I'm in the process of moving from California to Montreal (after living in the same house for 15 years) and it's a PROJECT!

--GDub

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

tim, that is a great song, and a great player. thanks for posting, i was not aware of this guy.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:15 am

Tim,
Nice song. My father's parents emmigrated from the Azores. He's been to visit a couple of times and the pictures were always beautiful. Hope your brother enjoys his new home.

Jeff

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

What a beautiful song and performance! It reminds me of an album from the '80s by Lee Oskar I believe named "The Immigrant," or something like that. I always thought that the harmonica was somewhat one dimensional until that album open my eyes to what a harmonica can do played by a virtuoso.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Hi GDub:

My brother sold his home in California and packed up the majority of their worldly belongings into a 20 foot container. Like you, several decades in the same house. And he gave away some (I'm looking at a D-18 I got out his moving!) and took those that "made sense" given the size of the home, etc. Keep in mind those containers aren't air tight, so you also have to wrap things up and put those silica gel packs in drawers and such to keep it dry. Moisture on the ocean is a challenge.

In his case, the container had several delays. First, it sat on the dock as Homeland Security was concerned as to whether dirty clothes was hazardous to the environment or worried about him smuggling IKEA furniture to Portugal. :) This delayed the ships departure in San Diego, so it hit "boat traffic" and was delayed at the Panama Canal, then landed on the wrong side of the Iberian peninsula late where it missed the connection (like an airlines!). Where it then waited for a boat to head toward the USA (East Coast) so it could stop at the Azores and drop it off.

Due to the boat delays, he got to sleep on the floor for 2 months ~ probably not fun at 70 years old! And then there were permits to set a container on the property so you could unload and some forms to fill out, etc. Of course he did have all his paperwork - resident Visa, etc. all in line. He said the folks in the Azores were really nice (didn't hurt to have the permit guy having left the USA to live in the Azores as well so language wasn't an issue!). Rather exciting, but I do miss my big brother and looking forward to his visit around Christmas.

As for Canadia ~ My daughter last April married a great guy from Canada, and they had to move all her things back to where they live (30 miles outside of Ottawa). Sounds like it was similar in that visa/permits/etc. had to be all filled out. She's getting used to it, lucky for her she speakers English and French fluently, not to mention some Japanese and Spanish.....she's real smart. I'm hoping to visit next year if I save my pennies. In her case, her new in-laws drove here for the wedding (held in California) in a motor home that was pulling a trailer (empty). They put the bulk of her things into both and drove it back to their town while she was on her honeymoon. A couple of things were shipped but it's real expensive to send things there which I haven't figured out why.

Hope your move goes well!

Regards,

Tim

Helluva story Tim! Good on your bro. Hopefully he's sleeping on a comfy mattress now! We are in the throes of an international move. It's a pain in the a**, but it's all good!

--GDub

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

GDub wrote:We are in the throes of an international move. It's a pain in the a**, but it's all good!

Welcome to the Globetrotters, GDub. Can tell you I've been there done that. Twice! And you're right; it is a 'douleur royale' as they may say in your soon to be new neck of the woods. Are you bringing any pets along? Because that turned out to be a hassle for us all in and by itself.

- Jos

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Wow, looks like a nice laid back place to live. Great song too. That man appears to have had some serious talent. Too bad he is gone but he sure left a nice mark on the world it would seem.