Re: Cure for Cigarette Smoke in Guitar Cases!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 am

I will do the experiment and report on it since I haven't done the shampoo yet. Thank your brother Bob for the insight.

- Jos

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:When it becomes saturated, you put it in the oven on low heat & use it again. Works great!

Follow-up question: How do you get your oven to stop smelling like cigarette smoke after you're done? :lol:

Ken

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 pm

KenC wrote:
Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:When it becomes saturated, you put it in the oven on low heat & use it again. Works great!

Follow-up question: How do you get your oven to stop smelling like cigarette smoke after you're done? :lol:

Ken

no doubt , you'll only want to that one when the wife is gone ....lol

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:
KenC wrote:

Ken

no doubt , you'll only want to that one when the wife is gone ....lol

and when she gets back just tell her "honey, you know i always smoke after sex..ooops."

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Howdy Folks:

In the Wednesday Lunch Report, the subject of cigarette smoke in guitar cases came up. As you know, a store gets a LOT of used guitars...and to say we received our fair share of smoke laddened cases is an understatement. I know my brother had a "secret" method, and he would take care of them. I didn't know what he did. So I called him at his home in the Portuguese Azores to get the answer. This is unbelievably easy and I had to ask if he was joking. So here's the solution in a nutshell. So here's what he said word for word and he swears it works!!

There is a product that I bought at Home Depot. It's a bag of volcanic rock. You put it inside the case, it absorbs the odor. When it becomes saturated, you put it in the oven on low heat & use it again. Works great!

So there's the magic answer. Now I know how all those Martin, Collings, Taylor, G&L's, Gibson, Fender, etc. cases wound up smelling A-OK!

Tim

you still have to shampoo first, as the source of the smell is the layer on the lining. otherwise you keep the smell down, but as soon as you take out the rocks, the smell comes back.