Re: What a cool idea.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 am

+1 - It would sure keep a lot of G&L folks from taking their guitar apart to date it! ;)

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:
Check out this Gibson headstock! "Made in USA - 2011" > No doubt there!

yup,
I gotta take some issue with the aesthetics of prominently branded serial numbers that exceed 7 or so digits.
It's like..."yay, I have one of a limited run of 11 billion and 53" ... :crazy:

I'm not too hip on the UPC barcode in the sacred neck pocket while we're talking numbers.
Maybe they could laser it right into the heel finish instead...instead of a soft piece of paper of who knows what thickness
placed randomly in a place where geometry is a concern. I know I'm being finicky, but these are Made in the USA MUSICAL
instruments
...not an Xbox that was sent over in a railroad container.

hrumph!!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Elwood wrote:
Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:
Check out this Gibson headstock! "Made in USA - 2011" > No doubt there!

yup,
I gotta take some issue with the aesthetics of prominently branded serial numbers that exceed 7 or so digits.
It's like..."yay, I have one of a limited run of 11 billion and 53" ... :crazy:

I'm not too hip on the UPC barcode in the sacred neck pocket while we're talking numbers.
Maybe they could laser it right into the heel finish instead...instead of a soft piece of paper of who knows what thickness
placed randomly in a place where geometry is a concern. I know I'm being finicky, but these are Made in the USA MUSICAL
instruments
...not an Xbox that was sent over in a railroad container.

hrumph!!

haha, too true.

Gibson has even taken it further now and the implant an RFID tag into the necks of new Les Pauls (not sure if they do that to all of them yet)

There are also problems with doing the engraved SN though, especially for bolt-on neck instruments. Like which part do you date (neck, body, both?)? what if a piece sits in the factory for a few months? You would want to engrave them early in the process to help with inventory and assembly management, plus if you hosed one its not so much a loss.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote: Gibson has even taken it further now and the implant an RFID tag into the necks of new Les Pauls (not sure if they do that to all of them yet)

It seems the microwave plate would be ideal for a RF tag...won't be long before GPS is an option :shocked028:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 am

Elwood wrote: I seems the microwave plate would be ideal for a RF tag...

Nope, it's removable. Should be in the wood and as the neck is removable, it should one in the neck and one in the body. :ugeek:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Elwood wrote:
bloodied_fingers wrote: Gibson has even taken it further now and the implant an RFID tag into the necks of new Les Pauls (not sure if they do that to all of them yet)

It seems the microwave plate would be ideal for a RF tag...won't be long before GPS is an option :shocked028:

Whats the microwave plate? Google-fu fails me on that one..

Miles Smiles wrote:
Elwood wrote: I seems the microwave plate would be ideal for a RF tag...

Nope, it's removable. Should be in the wood and as the neck is removable, it should one in the neck and one in the body. :ugeek:

I agree. Then on the build cert have both rfid s/n

I'm sure the disposables (the tags) would be pretty cheap, but the NRE might be prohibitive.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:

It's our tongue in cheek name for the new G&L headstock ID plates

LOL..I can see how googling "microwave plate" will bring up lots of items...none of them guitar related :)

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Elwood wrote:
bloodied_fingers wrote:

It's our tongue in cheek name for the new G&L headstock ID plates

LOL..I can see how googling "microwave plate" will bring up lots of items...none of them guitar related :)

hahaha...

gimme some credit, I did try 'guitar microwave plate' - I made some progress too -> http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/inde ... 30555.html

:D

I thought it was some slang term for the plate the bolts on the back

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:hahaha...

gimme some credit, I did try 'guitar microwave plate' - I made some progress too -> http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/inde ... 30555.html

hehehe...it's a b*tch when the "magnetron gives up the ghost" .

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 am

once in college I built a coil gun using the transformer from a microwave. Those things generate like 2kV. We had six 400v 1 farad capacitors.

We blew up several highly rated SCRs with it but it could launch a NIB magnet like nobody's business...

It would be cool though if more guitar makers did engrave at least the 'Made in ....' on their guitars though. Forgery, part substitutions and so on contribute to the aftermarket phonies. If they just stamped necks and bodies with something distinctive that would help. But idk if the tributes and US made guitar parts are even swappable (beside hardware) someone told me the USA models have slightly differnet dimensions.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I love the G&L ID plates, they're so, I don't know..."industrial," I guess. Like something you'd see on a period Detroit muscle car.