anybody ever played through a Fender Greta 2 watt ?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 pm

was wondering if this would be a good low volume tube amp ?? has anybody ever heard one of these in action ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Greta-2- ... _755wt_932

what do you guy's think of this little amp compared to the Greta

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FENDER-FSR- ... 2774wt_932

Re: anybody ever played through a Fender Greta 2 watt ?

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 am

it's not gonna be that low volume. a 2 watt tube amp is still very loud. about half as loud as a 20 watt amp.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:23 am

i only have 2 (other)forum mates who tried the greta... they both found it sounds like s***... but i think it's a bit exaggerated... even if i didn't try it yet...

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 am

as there such a thing as a good low volume tube amp ?? , wanting to get some overdrive with out waking everybody up ... have Peavey Classic 30 right now 30 watt

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

Fumble fingers wrote:as there such a thing as a good low volume tube amp ??

Yes, it's called 'The Deacy', the most famous 1-Watt amp I know. And what tones and memories it has produced!

- Jos

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 pm

I still want to try a Yamaha THR10C for my home music room.
Taking gear we've used successfully on stages and in studios, and just turning it down, even with power soaks (though a bit of soak can be OK for little gigs) is never going to do it.
Louis is right, 2W is loud at home!
And I wonder if the THR also has pro-grade recording uses?I wouldn't be surprised.
The proof would be when I get back to my "real" amps, whether there's a readjustment to be made. Perhaps there won't be. I've been impressed by the musicality of Yamaha gear ever since my first encounters in the 1970s.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Is the Deacy amp available ??

I'll ck the THR out too

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 pm

you can always use a pedal to get dirty tones at low volume. one great thing about my two rock is that it sound the same loud or quiet. i can practice 3 in the morning, and it sound great clean or dirty.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Impressive!
That has to be favourite option of all.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:43 pm

When I needed a little amp for quieter late night/early morning tone exploration and practice I just use either my vox amplug (if you want to go headphone style) or a Pignose I recently picked up.

But then again I like playing the pignose cleanish :3

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 am

louis cyfer wrote:you can always use a pedal to get dirty tones at low volume. one great thing about my two rock is that it sound the same loud or quiet. i can practice 3 in the morning, and it sound great clean or dirty.

haha ! :lol: two rocks are so not into the same price range, it's senseless to compare !

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 am

meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:you can always use a pedal to get dirty tones at low volume. one great thing about my two rock is that it sound the same loud or quiet. i can practice 3 in the morning, and it sound great clean or dirty.

haha ! :lol: two rocks are so not into the same price range, it's senseless to compare !
i don't see where i made a comparison. he said if there is such a thing as a good low volume tube amp. i was answering that question.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 am

louis cyfer wrote:
meursault wrote:

i don't see where i made a comparison. he said if there is such a thing as a good low volume tube amp. i was answering that question.

indeed...

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

have any of you tried or heard of Bugera V5 5W 1x8 ?? ..... looks like you can select .1 watt , 1 watt or 5 watts ..... is this something that would work ??... is Bugera a good amp buider ???.... I realize this is a lower priced unit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bugera-V5-5W-1x ... 278wt_1170

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:have any of you tried or heard of Bugera V5 5W 1x8 ?? ..... looks like you can select .1 watt , 1 watt or 5 watts ..... is this something that would work ??... is Bugera a good amp buider ???.... I realize this is a lower priced unit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bugera-V5-5W-1x ... 278wt_1170

if i were you, i'd get an attenuator for the classic 30. tube cube is great, and it also gives you a line out. if you want power tube crunch at a low volume, that is just about the only way to go.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm

you can attenuator by it self ??...... sure sounds like what I want .......

edit ..... I found some ebay , is there a particular brand to get or stay away from ??

thanks, Eric

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:04 am

Fumble fingers wrote:you can attenuator by it self ??...... sure sounds like what I want .......

edit ..... I found some ebay , is there a particular brand to get or stay away from ??

thanks, Eric

my favorite is the tube cube. it can handle several different impedances. the hot plate is popular, but i don't like it, it overheats, and you have to buy a different one for each impedance.