iPad recording - anybody have experience?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 pm

OK, so I decided it was finally time to start recording some tracks. I've thought about it for a while, but honestly just enjoy playing more than creating some "lasting" bit of music. My most recent attempt at recording was about three years ago, with a Tascam US-144 I got a good deal on. It didn't get along well with the laptop I was using at the time, and I eventually lost interest in struggling with it. I also didn't like the user interfaces on the couple of DAWs I tried, and especially having to use a mouse to arm tracks, etc. while holding a guitar or bass.

I have an iPad, and figured that the touch screen would be more to my liking. The availability of relatively simple DAWs like Multi Track make it seem like a good way for me to go. I stopped by Guitar Center last weekend to look at their options, and got a very strong recommendation from one of the salesmen in pro audio for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Aside from his recommendation, it was one of the few I've come across in my research that provides 1/4" and XLR inputs on two channels for less than $200. I want to be able to run a synth or drum machine into the interface at the same time as a guitar or bass, and also to be able to input stereo signals.

It turns out the Focusrite 2i2 is not designed to work with an iPad, despite what the salesman said (surprise, surprise). The website for Multi Track DAW (which is an iPad app) lists it as compatible hardware, and I have read several threads on other discussion boards that report getting it to work by connecting it through a powered USB hub and an iPad camera adapter, so it must at least be possible to make it work. I picked up the hub yesterday and a camera adapter tonight, but still need to run back out for the right USB cable. This is seeming really excessive to me, but I haven't been able to track down any other interfaces that would give me the flexibility I want and are designed for easy connection to an iPad. The couple that looked promising at first (including the Alesis iPad dock and a Tascam interface, which only work with older versions).

Does anybody have recommendations for a good iPad interface? Or at least one that would make more sense than the Focusrite I'm trying to set up now? Any input would be appreciated!

Ken

Re: iPad recording - anybody have experience?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Ken, sounds like an interesting project. Apple's partner in the audio interface world is Apogee, but like most Apple products you'll pay through the nose for them. An Apogee interface will probably be far less painful than getting the Scarlett to work though.

Apogee link here

MOTU products have always been pretty Apple friendly too. Perhaps one of these would do the job?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:36 pm

+1 fpr Apogee.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 pm

your mistake was getting an ipad. the way you are doing it will give you painful latency. not having a usb connection and expendable storage makes the ipad pretty worthless.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 am

I'm gonna have an iRig HD+amplitube for my birthday (August 31st) that I'm gonna use with an iPad.
I'll give a report if you're interested.

Browse a little bit on http://www.ikmultimedia.com/

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 am

I think that it is essential to have resources for recording, meaning memory , disk space and a firewire or at least a USB. I was trying to get by for a small budget when I was shopping but eventually decided not to take chances. Even at that my platform has been changed so my system is considered obsolete. It is six years old and I am not going to upgrade anything.-- Darwin

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies everybody. I considered the Apogee products, but the at $650 for stereo recording they were beyond my budget. There are quite a few decent looking iPad interfaces in the $50-$150 range, but they were all either mono or had one guitar input and one XLR. Since I want to be able to grab clips from a synth, stereo was essential for me.

I eventually realized that despite user's claims on the web, the Focusrite product I had just wasn't going to work with the iPad. They have an iPad-specific interface, but as with most others it has one quarter inch and one XLR input. I guess singer/songwriters are the target demographic for these products.

Tonight I picked up a Roland Duo-Capture EX. It loaded right up in Multi Track DAW, and gave a decent sound running the L-1500 straight into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing will do with other instruments.

Louis and Darwin, I do realize the severe limitations that an iPad will present. I didn't buy it for recording. In fact, I didn't even think of using it to record until last week. It frees me up from carrying a personal laptop along with my work laptop when I travel, and keeps me occupied while I am on a bus stuck in DC traffic for 2-4 hours per day. If I try to construct anything more than 1-2 simple tracks, I will go over to the computer.

Ken

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Glad to hear you got it sorted Ken!