Question for Will Ray

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

Will, long ago there was a thread on here about blues guitarists and you said something like "LIstening to Mike Bloomfield taught me what I needed to know about harmony." I think that's what you said. What was it that struck you about him and that you learned? You can be specific or even technical if you like. We'll try to keep up. I ask because I'm finally starting to try to learn to solo "over the changes," and I think this must be what you meant.

Re: Question for Will Ray

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

+1

I'd like to hear that myself, and please, be as technical as you like!
:thumbup:

Playing over the changes and not just sticking in one key does open up a whole new world. Still trying to get comfortable with it myself.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Bump. Will?

Your answer, sir....

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:16 pm

First of all, I really liked Bloomfield's energy on the instrument. He seemed to throw out bursts of fast moving phrases that melded Elmore James with jazz. I think he played mostly out of the Dorian mode on Paul Butterfield's debut album. I sat down and spent about a year lifting every single solo of that album.

When their 2nd album East West came out, it was as if he were a completely different player. "The Work Song" from that album made me actually sit down and figure out scales. It just blew my mind as a young player, and continues to inspire me even to this day. There's a fluidity and wonderful recklessness to his playing on that song. I probably spent 9 months alone deciphering that tune alone. And learning scales along the way.

The song "East West" is in another direction entirely. Very much "international" with his Eastern scales.

I dunno, some guys get his playing, some don't. But I guess that what makes the world go 'round. As a youth it forced me to teach myself music, even if it was a very winding road. But it's those turns and winds that provide the "character" in one's playing.

Does that answer your question? Sorta?

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Great answer, yes indeed! Thank you.

There's a "How to play like Bloomfield" feature in Guitar Player this month, btw.