Is there a bigger pain in the a** than restringing a Bigsby

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Guys:
Had to restring my 335 with the Bigsby Vibrato tonight and realized why I hate doing that so much. If there is a bigger pain in the a** than restringing a Bigsby, I haven't found it yet. Even wedging something under the strings at the posts doesn't make it easy. Easier, yes. Easy, no.

When I looked at the old package of strings (10-46 SOS Pure Nickels) it showed a date of October 16, 2009. These strings stood up to tough play for Oct.-Nov.-Dec.-Jan.-Feb.-March. Six months out of a set of strings is pretty darn good.

But, restringing that darn Bigsby makes me want to take it off the guitar and go back to the stop tailpiece. Glad that job is over for 6 months (I hope).

Take care. Just had to belly-ache a little.
Deuce

Re: Is there a bigger pain in the a** than restringing a Bigsby

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 am

I totally agree. My old Tele Thinline had a double-roller Bigsby, and with the slotted tuners, it was a major pain. The scars are deep--that was forty years ago, and I still feel the anguish! LOL!!! I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Bigsby-equipped guitar.

Locking tuners can be a big help; but if you don't lhave them, I'm told a capo can be an asset.

And then there's the trick of putting a fairly sharp bend in the the string just above the ball-end with a set of pliers.

I always thought an octopus would be a big help, but he kept running his tentacles up my girlfriend's leg, drinking my beer, eating my chips, messing with the TV remote, and fiddling with my amp's tone controls. Just didn't work out. Eight arms and ADD--not a good combination.

Good luck!

Bill

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Ya know, Bill, I pulled out all the stops last night and things just got worse and worse. I used wedge of leather under the holding pins, I used the capo up the neck to hold the strings and NOTHING seemed to help much. It was just a painful experience.

What really ticked me off was that right out of the package (SOS Brand Pure Nickel Strings) the high E string had a kink in it. After all that struggle and to get near the end and have one bad string!!! Well, it worked out ok. I'll be playing the Bigsby Equiped ES-335 at the gig tonight and am looking forward to it.
Take care.
Deuce

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Duece...what I do is this.

Take a set of needle nose pliers and make an "L" in the string at the ball end. That should allow you to put it on the post and if you keep a slight bit of pressure on the string, it shouldn't slip off. I then thread the string into the tuner hole while keeping it taut so it doesn't slip off.
I used to put a capo on to keep the string tight until I could string up, but I've gotten where I didn't need it.

Hope that helps!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:36 pm

I did it for 29 years. Yes it was pain, but of course now I would love to have it back!

"enjoy" it while got it!

Gary G :sign0011:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Gary, is that a Starfire??

I've been looking at Guilds lately. I'd like to find a DeArmond equipped Guild at some point.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:21 am

Yep. 1966 Starefire III. I owned it from 1974 - 2003.

Loved it. Can't imagine what I was thinking when I sold her.... :shock:

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:42 am

I have several Bigsby equipped guitars. Les Paul, Gretsch, Tele, and a home brewed ASAT Special with the saddle lock bridge. I have worked up a means of changing strings so that it is not too horrible.

1st, I use an ironing board for my work surface. It is reasonably high up, and I can work on all sides. 2nd, I prop the guitar neck up on a rest, in my case I use a rocking neck rest from StewMac. 3rd, I put the guitar so that the neck is to my left.

I start with the low E string, and I change the first 4 strings one at a time. I put a kink in the string near the string ball, and I pull the string somewhat tight. I use my right elbow to hold the string down to the fret board. This way I can use both hands to worth with the string, post, & knob.

One thing that I have found that makes my life easier is to remove the B & high E strings together, and put on the high E string first, then the B.

Later,

edg

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Anyone who owns a Bigby needs tricks to get it all the moving parts together long enough that they actually stay together.

My trick/regimen follows (you may want to adapt for simplicity, religious or legal reasons):
(It has always been my belief that a Bigby is like a Russian tank, it is designed for a certain body type. It also seems that that body type doesnt play guitar.).

I only start without 3 nights of heavy medicated sleep.

I remove 5 of the strings, keeping the skinny (high E) 1. It appear by keeping 1 string attached that the Mojo remains intact. By removing all the strings, the Mojo can become fractionated.

I next install new strings.

To begin install the new strings I always bend the string near the ball end. Ive found that slamming down the string on a late '50s Dodge trunk lid works best for this.. A 2 door seems to work best for this, but a 4 door will yield satisfactory results. A thread on a guit forum said that pair of round nose pliers may also used but I can confirm that. I dont mess with success.

I then hold the ball end with 1 hand, with my second hand I feed the string on the fret board & I tighten the string with my third hand (Anti anxiety, religion & holding you tongue just right seems to help with this step). For those who havent evolved a third hand, a capo may be used to hold the string to the fretboard. Once the first string is completed, your may rejoice. You have lost time in your life, that you will never get back. You may however take pleasure in the fact that you only have 5 hours to go until youre done.

ANOTHER HAPPY Bigsy OWNER

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm

To answer your question , YES... Ever restring a mandolin or a Banjo????

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey Kev:

Yup, I've done both (mando and banjo) and for my money, the Bigsby is the WORST!!! Short of getting someone upstairs to help me hold the strings in place, I've used every trick mentioned and it is still a PITA.

So, I'll make you a deal: I'll restring all your mando's and banjo's and you restring my Bigsby's.

Deal????? :D

Take care.
Deuce

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Come to think of it... I don't think I have ever strung a Bigsby.....

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, my very good friend, the next time you come over I'll let you string them all. I wouldn't want to deprive you of the experience. It is NOT to be missed. :D :D

Take care and come on over.
Deuce

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Since I thought that the Bigsby trems were a bit unsightly and clunky, so I never bothered with them. Man , Sounds like I did myself a favor.
Best of luck gentlemen,

Deno-F100

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Try restringing an Autoharp! That's some good fun! :sick:

I did couple when I worked in a music store. 45 strings or so and then you have to tune the sucker!

I have a fake Bigsby I was thinking of putting it on my Gretsch. I think I'll leave the trapese tailpiece alone.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Duece...

Here's a video that might help.
This is how I do it. I don't have any problems with the string coming off.
Help this helps.

[youtube]7jHUg--teQE[/youtube]

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Shawn:

Thanks for that video. I can see that I have TWO MAJOR problems in restringing my Bigsby's.

1. I did not put a tight bend in the end of the string. If that is all it takes to hold the string in place with NO OTHER pressure, we'll be "good to go". I've been putting a bend in the end, but NOTHING as tight as the bend he put on that string. I also put it up a little higher on the string and I can see where he put the bend will add more "staying in place power".

2. I have NO tattoos. I think the real key, beyond the bend in the string, is having hands and arms full of tattoos. I guess, if I intend to keep these guitars around that have Bigsby tailpieces, I'll need to gets me some tats, pretty quick. :D

Seriously, thanks for the post and the demo. I'll certainly give that tight bend a try next time. I sure hope it works as this would solve a lot of my problems in restringing these guitars.

Take care.
Deuce.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Well, I do have tats, and I have no problems stringing my Bigsby, so you may be on to something!

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 pm

shawn500 wrote:Well, I do have tats, and I have no problems stringing my Bigsby, so you may be on to something!

I neither have tattoos nor Bigsby's. What am I supposed to do now :?:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
shawn500 wrote:Well, I do have tats, and I have no problems stringing my Bigsby, so you may be on to something!

I neither have tattoos nor Bigsby's. What am I supposed to do now :?:

Get a tattoo of a Bigsby??

Gets Ya-self Some Bigsby's

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 am

I have 3 Bigsby units to contend with. Here are pictures:

Two Gretsch Juniors (Orange 6120JR-2 on Left, Brown 6122JR on Right):

And action shots:

Gibson ES-335 Dot:

And an action shot prior to installing Bigsby:

I'd love to see pics of YOUR Bigsby equipped guitars.
Take care.
Deuce

Re: Gets Ya-self Some Bigsby's

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 am

Deuce wrote:I'd love to see pics of YOUR Bigsby equipped guitars.
Take care.
Deuce

Ask and ye shall receive....
Here's the big brother to your 6120.

It's a 2003 6120-60. I replaced the stock Filtertrons with TV Jones Classics, and replaced the stock bridge with an aluminum Tru-Arc bridge (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) The handle on the Bigsby is the old style 50's thicker one, not the "butterknife" they put on them now.

..and here it is in action.

[youtube]MTUH6QHVxlk[/youtube]

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Well, I do put the kink in the string. And I do have a tat, but it's on my back, not my arms. Can I still be in the club? :confused0007:

edg

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Well, I do put the kink in the string. And I do have a tat, but it's on my back, not my arms. Can I still be in the club? :confused0007:

edg

Yep!

:elguitar054:

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:46 pm

LOL! :cry: Cry me a river, my brother! Stringing bigsbys sucks, no way around it. It's probably been mentioned but if you change them one at a time and use pliers to turn the ends it helps. I assume you have a string crank? Of course you do...what am I thinking? :happy0007:

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Poor Poor Pitiful Me.

Don't have a Tat. Only put a little kink in the string. NO WONDER I had so much trouble.

I can't wait for one of these guitars to need new strings now, so I can practice my newly learned tricks!!! I'll post a full report.

Take care.
Deuce

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Y'all, y'all...restringing a Bigsby is a piece of cake - try restringing a Rickenbacker 12 string with the "R" tailpiece!

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Hang in there Duece, Bigsbys are becoming in fashion again. Even Taylor now has one. Even if you didn't play it you can just sit and look at as they are killers for looks. I would like to have a 335. I have seen some Gretsch beauties here recently. I do not kink the string but put a nice rounded bend in it. Here are my Bigsbys.

Hate to think of it but I will deal with the prices going up due to demand!!!!--- Darwin

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Darwin:
Those are some VERY nice looking guitars. Congrats. You have quite a collection. Of the four, which one do you play the most? I don't think I've ever seen a Z-3 with a Bigsby before.

Take care.
Deuce

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:16 am

Keeping one in tune was always fun for me if I used it.

I'm not a fan.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:30 am

Duece, thank you. I play the Orange Gretsch a lot. I also like the Z3 and the Country Gent. I found the Z3 used and in pristine condition, or it may have found me. I sold an American Deluxe Tele Bigsby that I had done to buy the Z3. If I had to sell any in the picture it would be the 52 Reiisue Tele. I can do one of those any time I want. I would like to have a 335 at some point. That is a beautiful ASAT in your Avatar. Have a nice Easter. Thanks, ------Darwin.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 am

Darwin:
I completely understand about your "I can find a '52 Reissue anytime" comment. You certainly could find a new one or a used one any time you like as they are plentiful. I must be "binging" on tremolo equipped guitars. Seems like the ones I want to play all have a tremolo of some sort. I find non-trems "confining" at this time. Just a phase I'm sure.

Currently I have:
Gretsch 6120JR2 with a Bigsby
Gretsch 6122JR with a Bigbsy
Gibson ES-335 with an EZ-Mount Bigsby
Fender Deluxe Strat with Trem
and a PRS CE-22 with Trem

The ASAT LE in my Avatar is gone now. I owned it twice and SHOULD have kept it. It is the guitar that was created by the GbL website back in 1999 or 2000, I believe. Great guitars. Semi-hollow ASAT III based made out of mahogany. The neck was perfect for me with an ebony board. It was, however, a very bright guitar and I tired of that brightness and sold it.

Take care.
Deuce

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Duece, you explained exactly how I feel. Non trems are missing something and it is not hard to figure out what?. Thanks---- Darwin, By the way you have a nice group of gits!!!

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Dar:
I'm a piker compared to a LOT of collections. Yours included. Now there's some seriously nice guitars.

In my collection I have some serious playing categories:

Most Played: Gibson ES-335 or Gretsch 6120-JR2
Least Played: Fender Deluxe Strat
Most Versatile: G&L ASAT III or PRS CE-22 w/5way Rotary Switching
Least Versatile: Gibson Les Paul Standard
Oddest Instrument: Deering Boston B-6 Banjo-Guitar
Oldest Instrument: 1987 Taylor 510 Acoustic
Newest Instrument: Godin Nylon String SA
Best Looking: Gretsch 6122-JR
Instrument That Adds The Most In A Band Setting: Taylor T-5 12 String
Best Neck Feel: Heritage H-576

The categories just go on and on.
What are some of the highlights from your collection?
Take care.
Deuce