If Hellman played YOUR guitar.....

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 am

Over the last couple of years, Will Ray has played my ASAT Trinity and my SC-2 Reissue. He, naturally, dazzled me and others by exposing new sounds I'd never heard before from them. Somehow, they took on a new aura after hearing all that. Kinda made me want to put him in a room with the entire harem and lock him inside for a while. Same thing happend once when Slick worked out on a white ASAT S-3 I had. I was on the fence about trading it, but after he had his way with it, I decided in the right hands it was a far better axe than I'd given it credit for. Anyone ever played YOUR guitar and you came away appreciating it more when they finished?

Re: If Hellman played YOUR guitar.....

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 am

Anyone ever played YOUR guitar and you came away appreciating it more when they finished?

Just about everyone Jay! :happy0007:

Will can pretty much wring the full potential out of any guitar out there. If it's got a decent note or tone in it, Will will find it. Our very own Jim P is another person that can bring out the possibilities in an ASAT. He was getting some pretty damn good stuff out of his at the MI Jam.

RickT

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 pm

That's a very nice thing for you to say, Rick! Thanks! Just know that I can say the very same of you, my friend!

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm

RickT wrote:
Anyone ever played YOUR guitar and you came away appreciating it more when they finished?

Just about everyone Jay! :happy0007:

RickT

I guess I'd concur with what Rick says. Bryan T is another that can definitely make a guitar sound good. The two that I have bought from him sounded much better in his hands than in mine. OK, gotta get back to work.

Lates,

Connor

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Unfortunately, just about anyone playing my guitars sound better than me.
I'm more or less the Steve Martin character in the "jerk" when it comes to playing.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 pm

If Will played my guitar, i'd probably have to burn it :crazy: it would be all down hill for it. :scared0016:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am

Jay, I have one simple rule - If I play your guitar, then it's mine, and you have to send it to me when you're done toying with it.

I'm still waiting....

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:05 pm

If Will wanted to play one of my guitars, then Hell will have surely frozen over.

Of wait, I think it already has. I can tell by your avatar. You standing in front of a Mic? I remember a time when that would have never happened. :happy0007: :shock:

Gary G

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 pm

If Will Ray played my guitars............................

...............well, that gives way to lots of answers. Depending on how Will likes his guitars set up (high action, low action and etc.) he's might like some of my guitars and dislike some.

Gauging from what I've seen Will play he'd like my ASAT III a lot. It's a great playing and sounding guitar. He probably wouldn't like any of the semi-hollows, but I do think he'd like my Tele and my PRS CE. Just guessing here.

I KNOW Will would love my Banjitar. Now there would be a new tone for his arsenal and something different after playing so many "regular" shaped guitars.

If Will played my guitars the guitars would be mighty let down when I came back to play.

Take care.
Deuce

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:35 am

Legasat wrote: You standing in front of a Mic? I remember a time when that would have never happened. :happy0007: :shock:

Gary G

I stand in front of a mic a lot these days. I host a Tuesday night jam in a local club out here in Asheville.

Just leave your G&L's out for me tonight. I'm like the anti-Santa Claus - I'll be around after midnight to pick up your guitars.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:45 am

Gary, Deuce - I'll be by tonight for the guitars. I don't care how they're set up, I don't care how they look, I don't care how they play; Just leave them out and I'll pick them up after midnight. You can also put out some milk and cookies for me too.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 am

I guess i'm lucky that you don't play bass.LOL ;>)

It might be worth a guitar or two just to meet you.

I would love to hear you play "Crossroads" on Emmit's banjitar!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 pm

bassman wrote:I would love to hear you play "Crossroads" on Emmit's banjitar!

Ha! Me too!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Ha! Me too!

Well, Mr. Will Ray, why don't you come on UP to God's Country about the first full Weekend in November and participate in the Michigan Jam? We'd love to have you and I guarantee you I'd bring the Banjitar Just For You to play. Last year we opened the Jam with a Dixie Chicks song called "Long Time Gone" that featured the banjitar. It was cool beans.

Give it some thought. There's no time like the present.

Take care.
Deuce

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Oh, you mean the "other" God's Country, after Asheville. Actually, I've been trying for years to get G&L to sponsor a clinic out that way during your MJ's, but so far no luck.

We'll see...Hey - I thought you guys did it in December?

Re:I've actually had that happen

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Here's Will with my Z-2. He can't have it though, even for a brand new shiny $100 bill. :arrow:
[youtube]v=py59nV3LfeM[/youtube]

Re: Re:I've actually had that happen

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 am

just-a-guy wrote:Here's Will with my Z-2. He can't have it though, even for a brand new shiny $100 bill. :arrow:
[youtube]v=py59nV3LfeM[/youtube]

Here's your youTube video:

[youtube]py59nV3LfeM[/youtube]

You only need the video ID string, just leave out the 'v=' and you are good to go.

Thanks for sharing!

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm sure Will would do a fine job on any of my guitars, but our styles are SO different.

When I was gigging up in Wrangell, Alaska back in the late 1970's, I had a guy come in the bar and he asked to play my banjo. He was working on a NOAA ship that was in port for a few days, and I had the only live music gig on the island.

I normally don't like to let people I don't know play my instruments, but several people vouched for him. Turned out that the guy was probably the best bluegrass banjo picker I've ever heard, to this day. Blew me away, and made my banjo sound the best that it ever has.

And I really don't think I could ever appreciate my guitars any more than when I'm in front of a crowd and the band is rockin'. And on those nights when there's no one to talk to, and it's just my guitar to be my best friend and confidante.

Bill

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Happens all the time... Other guys will get up and play my rig, and the tone they get completely changes. No dials were touched . everything was set the same as when I play it, yet they get a totally different tone... Just goes to prove, tone is in your fingers....

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:21 pm

I remember I was at a small North Hollywood guitar show, sharing a booth with some friends who, like me, were selling some of our guitars we had tired of. My pal John Jorgenson stopped by and picked up an old Kay guitar I was selling, and when he played it he made it sound way different than when I played it. After he left I decided not to sell it and promptly put it back in its case and took it back home.

But the thing is - back at home I played it the way I always did, and it still didn't excite me anymore, so I kept it a while and sold it a few years later.

The point is, other players are always going to bring things out in your instruments and play them different than you can. If an instrument no longer brings out something in you, I say cut it loose and make room for one that can.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Nothing could be finer! Hell-man would make them all sound great, something that I never will and I would like him to go through each one on the wall. It would raise the value of them all, and I would bring the increased investment value to Ginnys attention and she would tell me to get more guitars!!!!! Tell me that isn't a winner.--- Darwin.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I played my ASAT Special with Will at a G&L clinic some 7 years ago. It still has mojo from the experience!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I think Will has played all of my guitars at one time or another.

So far Frankie has been able to stop me from starting the always threatened bonfire in the backyard.

Thank you, Frankie. I love you for that!

And Thank you Will for always reaffirming that I should have taken up some other hobby.

:)

Brian

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Well, it would mean he's in Chicago, and we know that never happens. ;-)

p.s.: I made my teacher laugh when I quoted him from a demo video where he deadpanned, "I need a big pedalboard so I can play clean."