Redux: New Hamer in the house ....

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 am

I've had several Gibson guitars over the past few years, all of them exquisite examples of that specific model of Gibson. While I liked them well enough, I never truly bonded with them. I purchased a Collings 360 with mini-humbuckers a short while back. It is one of the finest examples of an electric guitar bar none. But, I just couldn't get the knack of playing it. I've narrowed it down to my inability to cope with separate volume controls for the different pickups. I like the simplicity of the Strat / Tele layout. I've been playing the strat layout since 1973 and I guess I'm too old to change now.

Anyway, I took my Collings to Fat Sound to do a little horse trading. I had narrowed by tonal selection down to a P-90 equipped guitar and really narrowed that down between a Grosh Electrajet and a Hamer Newport 90. While it was difficult to truly claim that one was superior over the other, the Hamer eventually won me over because it is extremely lightweight and the tone was more of a vintage sound than the Electrajet.

RickT

Re: Redux: New Hamer in the house ....

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:37 am

I was always interested in P90's, but I have never owned a guitar with them, and thus not much experience with them.

Looks like a great guitar! Hope the P90's work out for you.

Gary G

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Rick,

How big is the guitar, 335 or 339 size body?

Thanks

Jamie

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Nice Hamer, congrats ! Is it fully hollow or does it have a centre block ?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Nice pickup on the Hamer Rick! I'll bet is sounds as good as it looks!

Lates,

Connor

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:Nice Hamer, congrats ! Is it fully hollow or does it have a centre block ?

It's got the block in the middle but the guitar still weighs only 6.2 lbs. I was thinking that it might end up being neck heavy so I tried it out at the store with a strap. It's right on the verge of the dreaded "neck dive" but not so much it was a deal breaker.

RickT

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Jamie _D wrote:Rick,

How big is the guitar, 335 or 339 size body?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It's smaller than a 335. I'm not sure about the dimensions on a 339

RickT

Re: New Hamer i

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 pm

TNX Rick,

Guitar looks great.

Know you'll have fun with it through your amp collection.

Jamie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

I would love to have a go on that guitar. Nice!