Kudos To Will Ray And The Hellcasters

Mon May 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Okay folks, I have been living in a cave. I recently upgraded to high speed internet and can now watch u-tube. I have been watching all my old favorites and there aren't many clips of those old dudes but last night I was looking for something new. I thought of Will Ray. I had never seen him and I pulled up some of his stuff, mostly instructional videos. Wow, this guy can play!! So I got to thinking about the Hellcasters. I thought the name Hellcasters would be some heavy metal band or I wasn't sure what to expect. The first video I pulled up was Back On Terra Firma and Sweet Dreams. I was blown away! These guys can play! Were can you see three guitarists together that can play like that??? I then found Inspector Gadget. Wow! I then checked out The Beak/The Claw. This is unbelievable. I love this stuff and these three guys can all do different things. So now I am familiar with the Hellcasters. Jerry bending above the nut, Will with the bender and slide work and I had seen John with Desert Rose in the late 80's. Anyway, I want to apologize to Will for not finding this stuff sooner but you guys really cook! I was a big fan of Chet and Jerry Reed but you guys have diverted me with some terrific stuff and I love it. Sorry for not finding it until yesterday.-- Darwin

Re: Kudos To Will Ray And The Hellcasters

Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm

All 3 hellecasters albums are numbing bud as is Will's solo invisible birds & Jerry's telecasting.
+1 :thumbup:
Last edited by The Black Page on Sun May 12, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Darwin, I can't believe that someone who actually worked in IT and spent as much time online as you do could be satisfied with dial-up internet until now. I can't even imagine browsing this site, as photo intensive as it is without some sort of high speed connection. I just did a search, and as of a year ago, only 6 per cent of internet users still were on dial-up.

Welcome to the 21st Century. :happy0065:

Now that you have discovered YouTube, you will never get offline. It is amazing what has been uploaded.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Suave Eddie, I wasn't on dial up. I upgraded from that 8 years ago but I had basic DSL and it would not download fast enough to watch videos. I did work in computers since the inception but when I left it 11 years ago I really left! I still get mad when Ginny asks me to work on her Windows systems. We have a Win 98 , Win Me, and she now has Windows 8 on a new laptop. I am a Mac guy and haven't looked back. I am also recently a u-tube fan but most of all I am RETIRED!!!!! I don't want to work at this, I just want to watch WR and The Hellcasters! -- Darwin

Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Nice discovery Darwin, there are definitely some solid tunes there. Reminds me I need to track down those albums, been itching for some guitar music lately.

Funny an ex-IT guy would go mac, a company that is notorious for harbouring people who don't want to learn to use a computer, and locking you in pretty tight.

The Hellecasters!!!

Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Note the correct spelling ;)

In 1998, while John was touring with Elton John, Will and Jerry and the rest of the band: Steve Duncan (drums) and John Davis (bass),
played at McCabe's in Santa Monica, CA. I video taped the show and released the following 3 YouTube videos. They ended up using the
soundtrack from my video and released an Authorized Bootleg CD. Check Will's website for information on getting a copy.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Someday, the full concert might be released on DVD, right Will?

Last year, the Hellecasters headlined with a reunion show at Dekes Guitar Festival NAMM 2012:

phpBB [video]

Each are amazing on their own, but together they are just awesome!!!

:ugeek:

Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I just got back from a day out of town and viewed these videos. Thank you for posting them Craig and you are right. Individually, each are great but as a group, they are awesome. I will order some of this stuff.

I apologized for being late to the game and now i apologize for the spelling of the band name. I am now a seasoned Hellecasters fan. Thanks again Craig! Any of these guys could show me how good my guitars could really sound!!!! :oops: -- Darwin

Tue May 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanx for the kind words, guys. It means a lot.

Incidentally, I have a crazy cousin who also plays guitar too. Whatever you do, don't let him near your cigars......

Will

[youtube]7hAegtmhuug[/youtube]

Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

a g&l cigarbox. awesome.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

"If you're not man enough, you can go play some Brittany Spears licks or get a Justin Bieber record or something." CLASSIC!!!

Ken

Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 am

Great video Will, thanks for posting!-- Darwin

Fri May 10, 2013 1:47 pm

darwinohm wrote:Great video Will, thanks for posting!-- Darwin

+1

Re: The Hellecasters!!!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:50 am

Craig wrote:Last year, the Hellecasters headlined with a reunion show at Dekes Guitar Festival NAMM 2012:
phpBB [video]

Was fortunate enough to have attended this show. Unreal.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for posting this one LT. More awesome stuff!-- Darwin

Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm

There is supposed to be a live DVD to come out of that Jan 2012 Deke show. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Will

Sat May 18, 2013 12:36 am

Unexpectedly stumbled upon you and a couple confederates in the lobby of the Eden Roc later that night, Will; seemed you were trying to get the night man to stow that Rivera amp you'd played at the gig behind the front desk for you. Anyway, thanks for being patient with, and gracious to, an admirer of your playing while he fumbled out an impromptu compliment.

Sat May 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Lacking Talent wrote:Unexpectedly stumbled upon you and a couple confederates in the lobby of the Eden Roc later that night, Will; seemed you were trying to get the night man to stow that Rivera amp you'd played at the gig behind the front desk for you. Anyway, thanks for being patient with, and gracious to, an admirer of your playing while he fumbled out an impromptu compliment.

I sorta remember meeting you. My mind was hazy at that hour.

Paul Rivera Jr came by the next day and picked up the amp. Venus 6 I believe. Great amp!

Ah yes, the old Eden Roc. That place holds many tales...

Will

Tue May 21, 2013 10:35 am

helle-man wrote:There is supposed to be a live DVD to come out of that Jan 2012 Deke show. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Will

Blu-ray and DVD versions of Deke's Guitar Geek Festival 2012 is available here: http://www.dekedickerson.com/shopping/merch3.php.

:ugeek: