Gibson - why?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 am

Funny that one of the largest, best known guitar companies that no doubt employs some very talented people could release this eyesore. What were they thinking?!?!

Re: Gibson - why?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 am

It would look charmingly rustic without the pick-guard; sorta like a school woodwork project. :lolno:

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:17 am

Does the case come with a built in amplifier?

I have 3 guesses why.

1. Because Les Paul has passed and they can now exploit his name.

2. Because the Firebrand series of the past was so succesful they want to replicate it.

3. Because precious attempts to break into the Fender market have failed but this time, well this time it will be different. Introducing the Fender killer!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 am

Why, because Gibson wants ALL THE UGLY.

IT wouldn't be half bad without the pickguard. I like that the bridge isn't ToM.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 am

"Good" use for all those unwanted L6-S maple necks...

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am

Why are they using trumpet mouthpieces as strap buttons? (Edit: Oh I see, is has a B-Bender) And why 3 controls? Yuck ...

- Jos

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 am

Is it a bender? Those are just Dunlop straplocks there Jos.

Ahh yes, I see it now.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 am

Remember what today is! -- Darwin

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 am

darwinohm wrote:Remember what today is! -- Darwin

No joke here Darwin. See e.g. this Sam Ash website entry.

- Jos

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 am

OMG :sick:
Kill it with Fire!!!!!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 am

of course it's clearly not the best thing they made... but come on guys ! it's not that ugly !...

damn i really have to try a B-bender one of these days ! :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 am

WoW, it is no joke!! Actually it is one of the best they have come up with in a long time. Hopefully it will do better then the original issue blue/silver burst Robot that collectors jumped all over!-- Darwin

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:18 pm

On reflection, I could possibly fancy an L6-S, with Mississippi Queen P90-alikes instead of buckers, and a Hipshot on the back.
Gibson could do worse than produce something like that.
But not this runt of a thing, I really don't get it at all.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 pm

the shape is like a PRS Starla with out the Bigsby ...

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

But it's, it's, a "hand selected slab of ash!" I mean, Gibson hand selecting a slab of ash with all the other stuff for a mere $1,400? If only I'd seen that before I bought the ASAT Junior II...

I had to find it on Gibson's site. It doesn't use the "slab of ash" phrase that Sam Ash does, but: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... ender.aspx

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 pm

asphalt-abate wrote:3. Because precious attempts to break into the Fender market have failed but this time, well this time it will be different. Introducing the Fender killer!

:happy0007:

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 am

That bridge looks familiar:

I too thought that's a joke, at least by Gibson itself, but it seems to be real:

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Ouch! That sounds evil, and not in a good way.
It doesn't help that some of the notes don't speak, some are out of time, and some are out of tune. That is fairly common for 21C internet guitarism.
But the instrument is sadly short on character, although the demo hardly gives it any sort of chance. The only really musical tone is at the beginning, just a light valviness like a fat Tele; right after that it made me turn the mac down quick in case my missus thought I'd had a (late) midlife weirdness moment.
And (edit) anyone contemplating a B-bender should know that it sounds wonderfully better than that revolting effort in the video; that was just insultingly casually downright horrible.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm

NickHorne wrote:in case my missus thought I'd had a (late) midlife weirdness moment.

Oops, I'm sorry, I should have warned you. :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 pm

It looks like a guitar I could make with parts found on my floor .( I'd do better )

Here's a cool article...maybe with a little less testosterone Gibson might find some
graceful lines again.

Laura the Luthier / KPLU article

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Miles, that video is brilliant!

A lot of tasteless 'nu-country turds' who give not only country music but music in general a bad name are playing Les Pauls and telecasters, and I imagine that this is aimed at that market with the intention of skewing it in Gibsons favour.

Here's a particularly heinous example of BAD music. Seriously, it doesn't get much worse than this. Watch at your peril.
[youtube]Rh_NKFid9Gk[/youtube]

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 am

I don't see why all the negative comments here about this guitar. I think it's kind of a gutsy move for Gibson. I'll probably get one down the road when I find a good used one.

What's not to like? You've got P90's, a B Bender, Tele/Strat kind of bridge, maple fingerboard...Who cares about the pickguard?

The P90's had me at hello.

Will

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 am

Those were my thoughts also Will. I think it is the coolest Gibson I have seen in quite some time although I would like it better without a pickguard.-- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 am

helle-man wrote:I don't see why all the negative comments here about this guitar. I think it's kind of a gutsy move for Gibson. I'll probably get one down the road when I find a good used one.

What's not to like? You've got P90's, a B Bender, Tele/Strat kind of bridge, maple fingerboard...Who cares about the pickguard?

The P90's had me at hello.

Will

+1

i'm with you... :thumbup:

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 pm

darwinohm wrote:Those were my thoughts also Will. I think it is the coolest Gibson I have seen in quite some time although I would like it better without a pickguard.-- Darwin

Hey, my Nighthawk is cool too. :D

I guess, under the pickguard is some space for the B-Bender. There's no routing for it on the back side.

Picture is stolen from here:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... ender.aspx

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Here's the writeup on the Gibson site: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Music-City-Jr-B-Bender.aspx

Not bad! :shock:

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm

helle-man wrote:I don't see why all the negative comments here about this guitar.

It's pretty much just the aesthetics, it would probably be a nice enough guitar to play. I just find it funny that a team of people would have worked on developing this guitar and market testing it and that the best idea for a pick guard shape was "just use the same one what's on a telecaster".

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:33 pm

helle-man wrote:I don't see why all the negative comments here about this guitar.

Just a chance for some light hearted humor, that's all. :lol:

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I think it's ugly, but like Will, I think it has some potential. I really miss my old 1975 LP '55 Special with its P90s. I may have to give this a try.

But it is still ugly!

Bill

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Miles Wrote:
Hey, my Nighthawk is cool too.

It is Miles, I had looked at them in the past and they're cool.

I guess, under the pickguard is some space for the B-Bender. There's no routing for it on the back side.

I agree, I would like to see how the bender is hooked up but it has to be under that pickguard. -- Darwin