anybody familar with Line 6 Floor Pod Plus ?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi guy's , I'm hoping one of you experts will know how to tune in a clean channel or by-pass pre-set settings to play straight amp ??

only been playing with the Floor Pod Plus for a week and it seems everything is pre-programmed or if its not, I am not able to find it and read , reread the instruction book many times with no luck

been playing the floor pod plus with my Peavey Classic 30 if that matters

thanks , Eric

Re: anybody familar with Line 6 Floor Pod Plus ?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 pm

i can't understand using the floorpod with the classic 30, that is such a great amp, why screw it up with a digital signal f***er upper? unplug from the floorpod and straight into the classic 30 input. there you have it, perfect bypass.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 pm

To get a true clean sound, you'll need to have a hardwire bypass, so as a variation to the above, why not use a loop switcher? When you want the digital effects, just engage it and when you want the clean channel, disengage it.
It's possible to dial in a clean patch by modifying an existing patch in the Floor Pod so that there was no processing and then saving it, but even when you do that, just having the signal pass through the Floor Pod will colour the sound.
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can build a loop switcher in an afternoon really cheaply :thumbup:

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 pm

thanks ..... un-plug it sounds easy enough ..lol.... your right Louis it does sound better with out the gizmo's

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:thanks ..... un-plug it sounds easy enough ..lol.... your right Louis it does sound better with out the gizmo's

did you know it is a mortal sin to put the guitar through a/d d/a conversion before going into a tube amp?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm

no I didn't .... also don't know what a/d d/a conversion either .....

its not all bad , I really got the floor pod to plug into head phones and mp3 with-out amp for when the wife doesn't want to hear me practice , I also thought it would be fun to play with the effects but noticed right away I couldn't get the Classic 30 sound when I wanted while plugged in wich is why I asked the question

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

analog to digital and digital to analog.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm

can you recomend a few effecs that would make my lead sound better with tube amp and not sound digital ???...... I have a MXR distortion box I haven't used much in 30 years not totally sure I know how to use it correctly and would like to get a wah pedal , even though I've owned a electric for 30 years I consider myself basically new at electric , lead playing and don't know much about effects or stuff

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm

the mxr distortion is fine, also maybe an mxr carbon copy delay. an xotic ep boost works nicely to kick the front of the amp into submission as well.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm

thanks , I'll get the mxr carbon copy delay and xotic ep boost this weekend , is there a certain brand or type of WAH pedal I should be looking at ??

thanks , Eric

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:53 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:thanks ..... un-plug it sounds easy enough ..lol.... your right Louis it does sound better with out the gizmo's

did you know it is a mortal sin to put the guitar through a/d d/a conversion before going into a tube amp?

Going to move a few of my digital pedals (Strymon) out front just because this is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:46 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Going to move a few of my digital pedals (Strymon) out front just because this is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

strymon is very different. the dry signal doesn't go through a/d d/a , only the effected signal.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 pm

^Damn,

You are just a wealth of information dude. All I know is every time one of their pedals lands on my board it doesn't leave. 3 there now (their compressor is awesome).

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

sirmyghin wrote:^Damn,

You are just a wealth of information dude. All I know is every time one of their pedals lands on my board it doesn't leave. 3 there now (their compressor is awesome).

i love strymon stuff.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:thanks , I'll get the mxr carbon copy delay and xotic ep boost this weekend , is there a certain brand or type of WAH pedal I should be looking at ??

thanks , Eric

Eric,

My tastes run a bit differently than most electric guitar players, but IMO you can't beat a Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass Filter for an all-around wah-type effect. Technically it isn't a wah (the filter is low-pass instead of band-pass), but it's in the ballpark soundwise. Anyway, with an expression pedal it can give a couple of very different wah-type sounds depending on which input jack you use. Without the expression pedal, it's a world class envelope follower or resonant filter. Run it alongside a Moogerfooger Ring Modulator, and you have an infinitely tweakable auto wah. It gives some wonderful effects, but to my ears it's even nicer just adding some resonance and lightly filtering a bit of high end on a guitar. If you play bass at all, the MF-101 is unreal on the bottom end.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's 100% analog and true bypass. It also has a "drive" knob to add a bit of edge to the signal - not distortion or overdrive, but the touch of grit and warmth Moog synthesizers are famous for.

Ken

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 am

I like a Ibanez tube screamer it works well. It 's great for kicking the tube amp up especially with single coils. It does boost the mids . I like to use it on solos, really makes those tubes light up. I have both a old TS808 and a TS9 there is a little difference between them but both work equally as well.

Cuzin Willy

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 am

thanks Ken , willy and everyone that responded .... I got a lot to learn and this site helps a bunch !!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

cuzwilly wrote:I like a Ibanez tube screamer it works well. It 's great for kicking the tube amp up especially with single coils. It does boost the mids . I like to use it on solos, really makes those tubes light up. I have both a old TS808 and a TS9 there is a little difference between them but both work equally as well.

Cuzin Willy

That mid boost gives some of the best ballsy cutting sound out there though, something I know folks like to overlook/get out of but damn... I run a BYOC OD2, can give a full boost, the traditional, or a bass boost. I tend to keep it in traditional (as it has a full boost on its own independently anyway). I am using a Mark (boogie) so the bass boost is consigned to useless. Slamming bass in the front of a Mark is not the best idea. The presence a screamer adds is wonderful, some cut a bit of bass but that is what keeps them from flubbin out.