tube amp question

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

you guy's are smarter than anywhere else on the web so I thought I would ask this here

I just bought a used Peavey Classic 30 amp ...... it seems to get real hot after its been on for a couple hours ..... is that normal or hurting anything ??.... should I turn it off if its going to sit for 30 minutes in between practice sessions ??

....... my other amp is a early 1970 Kustom amp that seems to be able to be on all day and not get hot or maybe I just don't notice it getting hot but its been working great for 30 plus years

Re: tube amp question

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 pm

From what I've heard thats normal for the Classic 30. I have a Laney LC30 that gets very hot too, they're very similar amps. I've read about people installing a fan in the back of them to help cool it down, and that's a pretty good idea, but if its just for home use you could simply use a standard cheapo desk/pedestal fan.

Turning it off is up to you. IMO you might as well, if you're not using it why leave it on? You don't leave your car running if you're going to use it again in half an hour do you now?!?! Some will argue it will cause the tubes to fail quicker and there's probably SOME truth in that, but unless you're a touring guitarist playing it cranked every night for several hours then carting it thousands of km's on the road it's not going to matter that much.

And enjoy your new amp :thumbup:

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:you guy's are smarter than anywhere else on the web so I thought I would ask this here

I just bought a used Peavey Classic 30 amp ...... it seems to get real hot after its been on for a couple hours ..... is that normal or hurting anything ??.... should I turn it off if its going to sit for 30 minutes in between practice sessions ??

....... my other amp is a early 1970 Kustom amp that seems to be able to be on all day and not get hot or maybe I just don't notice it getting hot but its been working great for 30 plus years

Kustom made tube amps ? :think:

for what i know from my own experience, EL84 and 6v6 tend to be very hot...

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 pm

It seems like Blarg is spot on. A quick google search shows many similar discussions.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf ... ATFdF4HMZU

My old ampeg jet get's hot enough to cook on, but that's an old class A amp that I expect to be hot.
(they are great for unheated winter jam rooms).
It sounds like your Peavey is good to go, I would bet that the caps, plastics, etc. will break down a bit quicker than a cooler amp...but that probably won't be for another 5-10 years . Inspecting and maybe swapping a tube might be a good thing every couple years....but if it sounds good, play play play !! :thumbup:

elwood

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

the classic 30 is a great amp. hot is ok. just switch it on standby if you are taking a break, turn it off when you are done.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 am

There's a good chance it does not have a standby switch.
Here's an interesting article by Hartley Peavey discussing why Peavy amps do not have standby switches.
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... pter_6.pdf

Much of it is over my head, but it is an interesting read anyway.

If you are only going to be away from the amp for 30 minutes, I would just leave it on.

Back in the '60s all the radar/radio/navigation systems on aircraft were vacuum tube operated. They would fly for 6-12 hours at at time with the tubes cooking the whole time---not to mention the ground navigation systems which would operate 24/7.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 am

suave eddie wrote:There's a good chance it does not have a standby switch.
Here's an interesting article by Hartley Peavey discussing why Peavy amps do not have standby switches.
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... pter_6.pdf

Much of it is over my head, but it is an interesting read anyway.

If you are only going to be away from the amp for 30 minutes, I would just leave it on.

Back in the '60s all the radar/radio/navigation systems on aircraft were vacuum tube operated. They would fly for 6-12 hours at at time with the tubes cooking the whole time---not to mention the ground navigation systems which would operate 24/7.

i know mine had a standby switch.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:43 am

hum... did Kustom made tube amps ?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 am

meursault wrote:hum... did Kustom made tube amps ?

They still do. They had a line of amps called the Coupe a couple of years ago - seem to have evolved into the DEFENDER line now - and a hyper-gain metal amp. I tried the Coupe 72 and 36 out on a few occasions but didn't ever find a good sound in them. They sell VERY cheap on the used market, hence my interest in them - plus they look cool! Coincidentally, they were designed by the same guy responsible for the Peavey Classic line! Kustoms new SS amps, however, are about as good as SS gets.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:45 am

Elwood wrote:....but if it sounds good, play play play !! :thumbup:

Thats some good, good, good advice :clap:

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
meursault wrote:hum... did Kustom made tube amps ?

They still do. They had a line of amps called the Coupe a couple of years ago - seem to have evolved into the DEFENDER line now - and a hyper-gain metal amp. I tried the Coupe 72 and 36 out on a few occasions but didn't ever find a good sound in them. They sell VERY cheap on the used market, hence my interest in them - plus they look cool! Coincidentally, they were designed by the same guy responsible for the Peavey Classic line! Kustoms new SS amps, however, are about as good as SS gets.

in the 70's they were known for their solid state... i didn't know that they made tube amp back in the days...

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 am

mine gets pretty warm

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am

i know mine had a standby switch.

I wasn't sure as I have never owned a Peavey amp. I was going by what Mr. Peavey said in the article (which is dated 2006).
I've seen that article referenced on various other forums whenever the question arises regarding the use of standby switches and whether or not leaving an amp on for extended periods can cause harm.

I still think that if you're only going to be idle for short periods of time--up to half an hour perhaps, it's better to leave the amp on. The repeated "On/Off" is more harmful to the tubes.

Think of a lightbulb--generally they will blow immediately upon turning on, not during extended use.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies :happy0065:

mine doesn't seem to have the stand bye switch , it looks a little different than whats on Peavey's web site so it must be a little older ... I won't worry about it for now , if I do I'll get a small fan for it

I assume my Kustom is a tube amp ??, over the years I've been told it was by different people but I have never had a reason to remove the rear cover so you got me wondering now , its 30 inches by 30 and weighs over a 100 pounds , it does "start up" a little quicker than the Peavey by about 10 seconds , the Kustom seems to sound real good turned up or down , it doesn't lose anything at low volume where as the Peavey seems to lose the lows at low volume ... the wife wanted it out of the family room and its too heavey to carry in/out everytime I play so thats why I bought the Peavey and so far I like it

thanks for the replies , Eric

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm

but I have never had a reason to remove the rear cover so you got me wondering now

Hmm.....it seems unlikely that a tube amp would be sealed......as you have noticed, tubes produce quite a bit of heat and need ventilation.

I played a Peavey Classic 30 once and I thought it was a pretty cool amp. Have fun with it.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm

it's not totally covered and it does produce heat , the darn thing has "tuck and roll" upholstry lol , just you got to watch where you put your hand on the Peavey , you guy's have me curious now , I'll check it out the Kustom when I get home tonight ... I am happy with the Classic 30 though , for small and light it packs a punch

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:it's not totally covered and it does produce heat , the darn thing has "tuck and roll" upholstry lol , just you got to watch where you put your hand on the Peavey , you guy's have me curious now , I'll check it out the Kustom when I get home tonight ... I am happy with the Classic 30 though , for small and light it packs a punch

i don't think the kustom is tube. you would see the tubes without having to remove anything. they are usually freely accessible for removal.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

yep , your right !! ..... I pulled the back cover and its just speaker in there .... the top four inches must be the solid state amp head ..... I still like the amp , wish it weighed half of what it does

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 pm

As i said, old kustom are solid states... In fact I think it was their main marketing argument... With the look of course ^^