Guitar Neck Hangers, looking for reccomendations...

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 am

I am putting my guitars on the wall of my new office. They are old plaster lathe walls, so I am looking for some input on the best neck hangers to use as well as anchor systems.

Anyone have experience to share?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Guitar Neck Hangers, looking for reccomendations...

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am

i like the off the wall hangers the best, and put the in the studs. if you want to put them between the studs, do 2 rows, and put the row with the in-between hangers on a 2x4 you mount on the wall across to the studs and mount the hangers on the 2x4. i prefer staggering the guitars when in 2 rows, instead of all an the same plane, much more protection from the upper row's bodies bumping into the lower row's necks, at least here with earthquakes and all.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:41 pm

I have been using the "String Swing" brand of hangers for about 8 years. They are very sturdy, and haven't caused any damage to the neck finish on any of my guitars.

Installation: Using a "stud finder," I mount each hanger to a stud. In most cases, studs are 16" on center from each other allowing enough room for most guitars. I usually stagger the installation so that the second hanger is 12" lower, the third hanger is at the same level as the first, and so on.

I'm not sure if 16" spacing will work out for your lathe & plaster walls, but it would be easy to check. String Swing also manufactures rail systems that might work out better for you.

Check out their site: https://www.stringswing.com/index.php

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Lefty wrote:I have been using the "String Swing" brand of hangers for about 8 years. They are very sturdy, and haven't caused any damage to the neck finish on any of my guitars.

Installation: Using a "stud finder," I mount each hanger to a stud. In most cases, studs are 16" on center from each other allowing enough room for most guitars. I usually stagger the installation so that the second hanger is 12" lower, the third hanger is at the same level as the first, and so on.

I'm not sure if 16" spacing will work out for your lathe & plaster walls, but it would be easy to check. String Swing also manufactures rail systems that might work out better for you.

Check out their site: https://www.stringswing.com/index.php

you stagger them height wise, but i mean staggering depth wise, so if they swing side to side they do not hit each other. or yo can install bumpers between the bodies and necks.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey Patrick,

I went with the hercules hangers for my room. I have been very happy with all of the other hercules products i have - these are no exception. The fact that they lock your guitar into place was the primary reason i went with the hercules, you really have to lift the guitar up and off the wall for it to release from the hanger.... Even if my girls touch the guitars i know they won't pop out :shock:

I have seen them for a pretty reasonable price on amazon, definitely worth checking out.

Good Luck
Scott

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Ya man....I'll second the Hercules hangers. Half my guitars are on hercules which are on a 1x3 anchored to the studs. The are the most secure of all. I bought 6 for an outside wall and it keeps them safe and away from the cold outside wall. I also have 4 on a short inside wall. The rest of the guitars are on steel yoked hangers on a 30 degree bend that shows them off when you come in the room. I am always scared the guitars will come loose with a bump. The Hercules have to be lifted methodically to get the guitar out to play. I love that. At around $17 each it is safe insurance to get Hercules. I highly recommend them.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm

i tried the hercules, and also the "off the wall', and the off the wall is much better construction imnsho. it is perfectly secure, the guitar has to be lifted just like with the hercules, but it is way more solid. it also self adjusts for headstock that are asymmetrical. like a tele, where the 2 sides of the hanger has to be offset.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 pm

what's the price difference of the 2 Louis

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

green swirl wrote:what's the price difference of the 2 Louis
not much. 3-4 bucks maybe.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I have 4 4' lengths from Diamond Life Gear.
My brother-in-law purchased a wall set up for a booth presentation and recommended them..
I bought black.
They can hang any type of guitar and you can easily move the hangars around.
They work great!

http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html

Kate

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm

fraidykat wrote:I have 4 4' lengths from Diamond Life Gear.
My brother-in-law purchased a wall set up for a booth presentation and recommended them..
I bought black.
They can hang any type of guitar and you can easily move the hangars around.
They work great!

http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html

Kate

in earthquake areas the free swinging back and forth with the overlap would be a concern for me.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I went for this Hercules:

I'm screwing the hanger into a stud and with the hangars that have three screws in a triangle shape (like this Herc:

) I doubt my ability to get all three screws in the stud.