Recommend me some guitarists to listen to...!

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 pm

I've been listening to the same guitarists for years :oops: . Most of them English, or they are guys who are internationally famous and have been around a long time.

I know there are lots of great guys over in the USA we have never heard of this side of the pond. And with the miracle that is Youtube it's easy for me to check them out. :alright:

You'd maybe be surprised who we haven't heard of here; I only found Johnny Hiland and Brad Paisley this week! (I don't personally know anyone here who listens to country type music apart from a bit of Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson... I only found Brad because I just ordered one of his signature OD pedals... at least I ordered it because I really liked the sound of it, not because of his signature on it. :o )

I'm more partial to blues/rock blues than anything else but whatever genre your favourite guitarists play in... give me your recommendations guys - who do you think is great to listen to :?:

All your suggestions will be much appreciated by my jaded musical ears :cheers:

Re: Recommend me some guitarists to listen to...!

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:31 pm

joe bonnamassa, gregor hilden, eric gales, guthrie govan, robben ford, matt schofield, allen hinds, the john mayer trio (not the band), just to name a few.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Goat,

My jaded musical ears enjoy listening to this guy's improv's on Youtube. I don't know what genre you'd call it, but there's not too many notes, which is usually what makes me tired when listening to guitar players.

[youtube]F5QcwQvBklc[/youtube]

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Philby: I know what you mean. I don't much enjoy machine-gun fast playing that sounds robotic, even if it's technically accomplished. I like more of an emotional/soul inspired sound than a purely technical one. I certainly don't mind 'too many notes' if they are combined with spellbinding feel, but for that I often favour listening to classical guitarists. Your linked video was very mellow.

Louis: I'm looking forward to checking all of those guys out. Bonamassa is quite well known here, and I've already looked up Matt Schofield after you mentioned him in another thread. I really like his playing. I've heard of Robben Ford but never checked him out. The others are all new to me so a musical adventure awaits me. Thank you Louis.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

I just listend to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik from Guthrie Govan and it transported me back to Steve Morse's 'High Tension Wires' album! His playing feel on everything I've listened to generally reminds me of Steve Morse. (Yes, I'm a major Deep Purple fan :) )

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Jack Pearson

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:23 pm

John McLaughlin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 am

Goat wrote:I just listend to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik from Guthrie Govan and it transported me back to Steve Morse's 'High Tension Wires' album! His playing feel on everything I've listened to generally reminds me of Steve Morse. (Yes, I'm a major Deep Purple fan :) )

deep purple started me on guitar, and i love steve morse, but i figured you already knew him. govan is like morse squared. his technical ability is out of this world, yet still plays with a lot of feeling. btw, i learned morse's tumeni notes, quite an exercise actually.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 am

Deep Purple started me on guitar too! :)
Tumeni Notes blew me away when I first heard it. I wouldn't even attempt the first bar. Props!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 am

You may not be into country music but Junior Brown is pretty amazing chickin picking

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Clarence White, Bill Frisell, Ry Cooder, Roy Buchanan are always in my car, and played the most.
(edit: also any Fairport Convention that has Jerry Donahue on it - Fairport 9, Rosie, Fairport Live Convention.) Hendrix Experienced and Axis (after that the light's not bright any more for me).

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Guys, I'm really enjoying some of these suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

Nick - cool - I have Ry Cooder in my car CD at the moment too; a result of seeing 'Crossroads' again recently. :)

(Yep... I've seen 'Hungarians do shred' Louis! 8-) :thumbup:)

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Goat wrote:Guys, I'm really enjoying some of these suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

Nick - cool - I have Ry Cooder in my car CD at the moment too; a result of seeing 'Crossroads' again recently. :)

(Yep... I've seen 'Hungarians do shred' Louis! 8-) :thumbup:)

i also plaid the rondo a la turka by mozart back in school on classical, that he plays earlier in the movie. it's actually my teacher from college playing it, he is the one that transcribed it for guitar. the close ups are his hands. william kanengiser.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Jim Campilongo, especially his stuff with the Little Willies
[youtube]NHK_HttgkmU[/youtube]

If you're British you'll certainly know him. Thing about Shadows songs is that there's nothing in them to tie your fingers in knots but NOBODY even comes remotely close to Hank when it comes to the way those notes are played. He is the master of touch.
[youtube]EriCZdLjw7o[/youtube]

Wilco, guitaist Nels Cline
[youtube]ZzkxSkGblUc[/youtube]

I generally dislike 'shred', but make exception for Yngwie. Not everybodies cup of tea, but he's definitely having fun and thats something I find lacking in most show-off music.
[youtube]TbHc5i4O2tc[/youtube]

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Here's a good interview with Hank Marvin where he talks a bit about his string guages, pickups, amps etc. And the Hellecasters get a mention at the end too! :)
http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/interview ... arvin.html

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm

My favorites:

Blind WIllie Johnson, Robert Pete William, Skip James, John Lee Hooker, Freddie King, BB King, Albert King, Buddy Guy, John McLaughlin, Hendrix, Clapton, Carlos Santana, Frank Zappa, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Neil Young, Duane Allman, Mick Taylor, Mark Knopfler, Debashish Bhattacharya, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Paco de Lucia, Tomatito, Boubacar Traoré etc.

I listen to a lot of Derek Trucks and Kelly Joe Phelps at the moment (I love them!)

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

I also really like Bill Frisell and, well, many of those mentioned.

I'll also add Greg Koch to the list. I don't think he gets anywhere near the recognition he deserves, and his playing is inhuman. He also has an uncanny ability to sound like just about anyone, then can go in his own direction.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks tbp - enjoying checking out some of the guys I've not heard of!

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 am

I'll see if I can throw you some more off the wall ones that I enjoy that havent been mentioned..

Leigh Stephens - guitarist for Blue Cheer's first 2 albums but had some great solo work, especially Red Weather.

Jerry Garcia - A known entity, but check out his solo work as well.

Walter Trout

Jack White - and his various bands

The Greenhornes - the whole band is very talented

Muddy Waters of course :D, especially if you love your Tele *cough* I mean ASAT

Lindsey Buckingham

Dick Dale - If you like that sound

Eric Johnson

Arthur Lee

Ronnie Montrose

Thurston Moore - You may not like him, but he is very interesting

Ted Nugent

Joe Walsh

Leslie West

Johnny Winter

Billy Zoom from X

Steve Stevens

Alright, that should be enough to keep you busy for awhile!

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

I'd add one or two more : michael landau, kirk fletcher ( my favourite at the moment),

And, yes, try Jack Pearson ( a G&L player btw) he is amazingly souful !

Sun May 12, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks!

Liking Jack Pearson.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm

brett Garsed..
[youtube]V1Q9SYkdtE8[/youtube]

lot of people view this style is "gimmicky" but Eric mongrain's hit it out of the park here..
[youtube]AbndgwfG22k[/youtube]

Shawn lane,there can be only one...
[youtube]R0ODb4yhKXY[/youtube]

Wayne krantz..
[youtube]zgswhBHPeI8[/youtube]

Brent mason,nice bluesy solo from Vince gill in this one too.

[youtube]oeJHnkUKg_M[/youtube]

& on & on we could go mate :lol:
NEXT :thumbup:

Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

That's a fair variety of musical styles! It's great to be listening to some new stuff. :)

Mon May 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Hank Garland - Jazz Winds From A New Direction featuring a very young Gary Burton on vibes. And below is one of Hank's country gems Sugarfoot Rag drenched in verb. Below that is Speedy and Jimmy and below that is Merle Travis and Joe Maphis. Then we have Chet and Jerry Reed. Finally Les Paul and Mary Ford doing How High The Moon. And for some blues rock stuff check out Cactus from either their self-titled album, Restrictions, or One Way Or Another. Jim McCarty was, and I think he's still with us, a monster player.

[youtube]RM1wOVP0oac[/youtube]

[youtube]dPj3yjXJzYw[/youtube]

[youtube]TuGvIVnWnTM[/youtube]

[youtube]je-TjSBFriA[/youtube]

[youtube]Ni8KBhnebwE[/youtube]

[youtube]e0ffdwBUL78[/youtube]