George Fullerton's book.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 am

I finally ordered George Fullerton's book about him and Leo building G&L guitars. I 've been meaning to order it for a long time now.
LS

Re: George Fullerton's book.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

The book was delivered today. I don't have time to go completely through today but I skimmed through it quickly and it looks like a book I'll enjoy from cover to cover.
LS

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Please post a review when you get a chance. I almost ordered this last night, but the negative customer reviews (on Amazon) were so similar that I decided to wait and reconsider.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I own "Guitars from George & Leo: How Leo Fender and I built G&L Guitars" too, and it is not as bad as it is made out to be in the reviews. Yes, most pictures are black and white, including the color chart. But then again, many of the pictures are reprinted in color in the center insert, including the color chart. If you want to know more about the days at Fender up to the time G&L started, try to get George's other book: "Guitar Legends: The evolution of the guitar from Fender to G&L". The history in the latter book is recapped in the former book. The former book has way more on G&L though and the run-through of almost all of the models is actually very nice. Does it have all the models? No, although I cannot recall which models are missing of the top of my head; all I recall is that looking for a model or two, I couldn't find it in that book. The instruments displayed on ggjagar.com, Greg Gagliano's website, have way more technical details but tthat is not the intent of George's book anyway I think. And then there is the final chapter, a parade of several mainly country stars from times past George really liked, including Buck Owens and his famous red, white, and blue guitars.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:I own "Guitars from George & Leo: How Leo Fender and I built G&L Guitars" too, and it is not as bad as it is made out to be in the reviews.

I also own the book, and would recommend it to anybody interested in the history of G&L and the stories behind various models. It doesn't have the details that a comprehensive history would, but it is full of George's memories and observations. IMO the section on Country & Western stars who George had met doesn't add much to the book, but it can also be ignored without losing any of the info on G&L. He spent a lot of time speaking with musicians about their needs, so it clearly was a big part of the G&L era for him.

Ken

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks for the perspectives; I'll pick up both books soon (probably after a Tribute Comanche, we'll see).

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I would have liked to seen the book packed more with G&L paraphernalia, but over all it is still a book to have on your shelf if your into the guitar works of George and Leo.
LS