Reunion Blues questions

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 pm

I was just given a Guitar Center $100 gift card.

I do not need a guitar, amp, or pedal, so I've been trying to figure out what to spend it on.

I am tempted to to put it towards a Reunion Blues gig bag. If I order by phone they say that they will also honor the current $30 discount.

I know that Lucifer owns at least one of these bags and I have a question for him and/or anyone else who has direct experience with them.

The "SONOMA" model (in Black Fabric) lists for $399.95
The "CONTINENTAL" model lists for $249.95

Guitar Center currently offers EITHER ONE for only $199.95......Same price for both.

What is the difference? The Reunion blues website lists the specs, and the dimensions are a bit different, but I'm not sure which one is preferable.

SONOMA:
External Size (LxWxH): 42.5 x 18.7 x 4
Internal Size (LxWxH): 42 x 18 x 1
Size at Bell: 14
Weight: 8.7lb

CONTINENTAL:
External Size (LxWxH): 42.5 x 16 x 8.26
Internal Size (LxWxH): 40 x 14.5 x 3
Weight: 9lb

Would either one have any issues fitting an ASAT Classic? The internal size of the SONOMA is quite a bit larger...I wonder if it is too big?

The CONTINENTAL is the one used in the "Roof Drop Video" so I am sure it would be fine, but just wondering if the SONOMA model is even better, for the same price.

[youtube]CAm8Te0FXzA[/youtube]

Thanks.......

Re: Reunion Blues questions

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm

i have the continental, and it is great. the asat fits well. i have not tried the sonoma, but the continental was only 160 with tax when i got it.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks...........

Actually just got off the phone with GC.
Ordered the CONTINENTAL.
I don't know what the extra MSRP cost for the SONOMA buys you, but the larger interior dimensions did not sound desirable.

Bottom line after $30 discount, and $100 gift card, I paid $84 out of pocket.

I saw comments on some other forums that the company (Reunion Blues) was sold to China. Is this true? Are they manufactured in China now? Their website still lists some California numbers for contact.
EDIT: To answer my own question, a quick Google search comes up with this info:
http://www.hornguys.com/reunionblues.php
Last edited by suave eddie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey Lucifer--one more question for you..........

I saw many comments on other forums related to the placement of the backpack straps causing the bag to ride too high.
Is there any reason you couldn't hang it upside down to alleviate this?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

suave eddie wrote:Hey Lucifer--one more question for you..........

I saw many comments on other forums related to the placement of the backpack straps causing the bag to ride too high.
Is there any reason you couldn't hang it upside down to alleviate this?

you couldn't hang it upside down because of the placement of the straps, but you can adjust the straps to ride lower. i like it to ride high, as that is a much better position for any backpack, and you can sit down while the bag is still on your back.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 am

I wish I hadn't seen this thread - I have a couple of guitars without cases and was thinking I could do with a new gig bag for them. I wasn't planning on spending that much, but wow... those are great looking cases. They're a bit more expensive over here (everything is!) but not madly priced I guess.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Goat wrote:I wish I hadn't seen this thread - I have a couple of guitars without cases and was thinking I could do with a new gig bag for them. I wasn't planning on spending that much, but wow... those are great looking cases. They're a bit more expensive over here (everything is!) but not madly priced I guess.

You might want to look into WolfPak cases. In previous discussions here regarding gig bags, their name has come up. I know that Lucifer has both WolfPak and Reunion and testifies to the quality of both--You can usually obtain the WolfPak for approximately half the price of the Reunion. I think Darwin also has some WolfPak bags if I am not mistaken.

If it hadn't been for the $100 gift card I was given that was burning a hole in my pocket, I couldn't have justified the expenditure. I already have the G&L custom fitted hard case and a good quality G&L padded gig bag--and I am not a regularly gigging musician--My guitar usually travels no more than a few miles from my home in my back seat. The G&L hard case is extremely heavy though, and I am convinced that a well constructed heavily padded bag actually provides better protection than a hard case.
(I have to admit that I was impressed by the "hype" of the roof dropping video. I have actually seen many shows in that theater building that they use for the demonstration.)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks Eddie - I'll look into those as well.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

I just recently (December) bought a new Wolfpak case and it will not fit the G&L.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/wolfpak-electric-guitar-polyfoam-case

I am not sure if this is the same one that Louis has but I got it for $67 and free shipping but I noticed that they are much higher now.-- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm

In researching the Reunion Blues on other forums, the MONO M80 seems to be their most formidable competition.
http://www.monocase.com/mono-electric-guitar.asp

Guitar Center offers those for the same price as the Reunion Blues.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm

darwinohm wrote:I just recently (December) a new Wolfpak case and it will not fit the G&L.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/wolfpak-electric-guitar-polyfoam-case

I am not sure if this is the same one that Louis has but I got it for $67 and free shipping but I noticed that they are much higher now.-- Darwin

The specs for the WolfPak guitar case shows 39" in length--my ASAT measures 40" so I can see how that would be an issue.
Their bass case measures 46.9" which seems to be a bit of overkill.

Maybe Lucifer can chime in on how he manages to get his G&Ls to fit the WolfPak case. Perhaps they have changed their dimensions.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm

SE, you are right. I just posted a picture of my ASAT in this case last week. About an inch too long for the case.-- Darwin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm

darwinohm wrote:I just recently (December) a new Wolfpak case and it will not fit the G&L.

I had the same experience. I bought a Wolfpak guitar case for my son's short-scale bass. I was impressed enough with the quality that I considered buying one to replace a worn-out G&L case, but none of my G&L guitars fit. As I recall, the head stocks were all too long.

Ken