Wah-Volume Pedal Toggle Switch Sudden Boost - Need Advice

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 am

For the curious, my second GAS purchase for 2013 is an old Aria AWV-100 wah/vol pedal. I've heard less than good things about the old Dod and Dunlop wah/vol combos, but zero information about this one. Made of plastic, it only weighs half a kilo (compared to 2 kilos for my Budwah.) The wah is inductor based, and sounds cool, but there are some issues with the volume pedal:

First, the pot is a W100K which I read means the taper is supposed to put the sweep at 50% just in the middle. The result seems to be that at least a third of the pots rotation has no effect. So it's good for tremolo effects, but not for volume swells or precise adjustment. Can anyone recommend a replacement or mod?

Second, there is a sudden volume boost when I apply just the right amount of pressure when the pedal is fully forward. Too much pressure and it switches into wah mode, but just enough and it actually sounds like a nice full boost. This is definitely NOT the pot. I think it's the switch, but 'm not an expert. Actually, the guitar sounds weak without it, even at max volume. I'm not anal about tone sucking, ut this pedal does seems to killing more high and volume than I can tolerate.

This really isn't such a bad pedal. It just needs a bit of work. Is there anyone with some advice for switch/pot replacements?