Release the kraken!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Now it appears the Mayans have spared us I'm out of the blocks early this year.After laying some hard earned Pat's way to saddle up along side him for a dual WR custom extravaganza earlier today I laid summor for this wee morsel immediately after.A jem HAM 90.
Of the ebony deck jem models the 10th anniversary is more an air loom than a plank to me,id be sweating bullets every time i took it out of its case! contemplated a VHW for a bit as I really like the inlays & hardware,just plain finishes do nothing for me at all & the 2003 series aside are a bit dime a dozen so went in between with one of the 98 anniversary models,of which there was only 800 odd built.anyway here she is..

The guard is a bit weathered as are the poles on the buckers as you can see but aside from that she's near mint..

The bubinga strip has some mojo :) also no cert unfortunately & the paper works in Japanese so not one of the 72 that were issued stateside,but she's still the real McCoy..

Should land here in about 2 weeks,will keep y'all posted :thumbup:

Re: Release the kraken!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:07 pm

i like the look of these guitars, but after having played evo II and evo III and flo, i can tell you, both the tone and playability really leave a lot to be desired.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i like the look of these guitars, but after having played evo II and evo III and flo, i can tell you, both the tone and playability really leave a lot to be desired.

I'm surprised you mention playability mate,especially since you're talking an ebony deck as well in your experience.personally I love evo's,but totally understand why they're not everyone's cup of tea.i got this plank solely for prog rock/fusion purposes,nothing more.oh & im the worst slide player in human history & aping firkins,beck & co has got me out of numerous binds in the past :D the incoming WR & custom upfold strat i already own are to appease my more traditionalist tonal muse.the garsed ESP has a Bluesbucker n the neck as well,so the more vintage sounds from a personal perspective are already covered in spades relative to my playing style.
the planks you're talking here are the cream of the crop Louis,the hoshino is little league by comparison.saying that though by playability "leaving a lot to be desired" I assume you prefer a neck that fights you a bit more as opposed to going belly up.it don't get much more "playable" than an ebony board set around 1mil at the octave :)

"Covey Leader calling Raven … talk to me, Johnny." ...

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

The Black Page wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:i like the look of these guitars, but after having played evo II and evo III and flo, i can tell you, both the tone and playability really leave a lot to be desired.

I'm surprised you mention playability mate,especially since you're talking an ebony deck as well in your experience.personally I love evo's,but totally understand why they're not everyone's cup of tea.i got this plank solely for prog rock/fusion purposes,nothing more.oh & im the worst slide player in human history & aping firkins,beck & co has got me out of numerous binds in the past :D the incoming WR & custom upfold strat i already own are to appease my more traditionalist tonal muse.the garsed ESP has a Bluesbucker n the neck as well,so the more vintage sounds from a personal perspective are already covered in spades relative to my playing style.
the planks you're talking here are the cream of the crop Louis,the hoshino is little league by comparison.saying that though by playability "leaving a lot to be desired" I assume you prefer a neck that fights you a bit more as opposed to going belly up.it don't get much more "playable" than an ebony board set around 1mil at the octave :)

"Covey Leader calling Raven … talk to me, Johnny." ...

i am not talking about an evo, but evo II evo III and flo, steve's personal guitars. the action is way low, but they are fretting out buzzing, no sustain, without the sutainiac pup, the notes die a sudden death. his old san dimas charvels are much superior guitars. i love the garsed esp though.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
i am not talking about an evo, but evo II evo III and flo, steve's personal guitars. the action is way low, but they are fretting out buzzing, no sustain, without the sutainiac pup, the notes die a sudden death. his old san dimas charvels are much superior guitars. i love the garsed esp though.

I knew that sorry mate.i was refering to Evo pickups as well not the planks.
Surprised steve has his action that low.you gotta be talking 3/4's possibly even half at the 12th by the sounds there.
As for the garsed or its namesake,the man can do no wrong this end.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 am

The Black Page wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

I knew that sorry mate.i was refering to Evo pickups as well not the planks.
Surprised steve has his action that low.you gotta be talking 3/4's possibly even half at the 12th by the sounds there.
As for the garsed or its namesake,the man can do no wrong this end.

brett garsed is one of my absolute favorite players, along with andy timmons. i saw a video of the 2 playing together, and i think i like garsed better, although it is a close call.

steve's action is less than 1mm at the 12th fret for sure. i trained his guitar tech's wife, and i got the chance to play most of his guitars along with his amps and gear. you need a lot of signal processing to get those axes sounding decent. plugging his guitar straight into his carvin amp is a pretty sad sound.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 am

The Black Page wrote:

If I was playing video. I would hold the ax around the neck to kill zombies, not in the hand slot on the body.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

meowmix wrote:If I was playing video. I would hold the ax around the neck to kill zombies, not in the hand slot on the body.

As it happens, I'm working on the next version for Plants vs Zombies at PopCap to be released for Apple Mobile devices mid this year. Like me to promote the idea? Have to cast it a plant though :think: Guess is has to be a true guitar slinger ... ;)

- Jos

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
meowmix wrote:If I was playing video. I would hold the ax around the neck to kill zombies, not in the hand slot on the body.

As it happens, I'm working on the next version for Plants vs Zombies at PopCap to be released for Apple Mobile devices mid this year. Like me to promote the idea? Have to cast it a plant though :think: Guess is has to be a true guitar slinger ... ;)

- Jos

If you cast it in a plant, then you'd have to include some vine inlays... :BadIdea:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

louis cyfer wrote:brett garsed is one of my absolute favorite players, along with andy timmons. i saw a video of the 2 playing together, and i think i like garsed better, although it is a close call.

Another brett garsed fan?

Im in the liner notes of big sky & the first uncle moes cd if youve got either of them louis.known brett for years mate.shawn lanes my other big fave.
Interesting 6 degrees of association angle going from vai to Brett & Andy.
Steve's got favored nations as you know.andys on Steve's payroll.when brett released big sky he offered it to steve but didnt got a reply?never asked brett about it but there mustn't be any bad blood as he did a few supports for Val's tour last he was in oz.

louis cyfer wrote:steve's action is less than 1mm at the 12th fret for sure. i trained his guitar tech's wife, and i got the chance to play most of his guitars along with his amps and gear. you need a lot of signal processing to get those axes sounding decent. plugging his guitar straight into his carvin amp is a pretty sad sound.

What's your story Louis?you seem to know an awful lot about a lot of things,and wired in some as well.youre out Hollywood way too is that right mate? You MI?ex pro?sound? Etc.

meowmix wrote:
The Black Page wrote:

If I was playing video. I would hold the ax around the neck to kill zombies, not in the hand slot on the body.

Looking at them buckers & scratch plate again it already looks like its done 3 levels of resident evil...

yowhatsshakin wrote:As it happens, I'm working on the next version for Plants vs Zombies at PopCap to be released for Apple Mobile devices mid this year. Like me to promote the idea? Have to cast it a plant though :think: Guess is has to be a true guitar slinger ... ;)

- Jos

My wife loves that game :lol:

JagInTheBag wrote:
If you cast it in a plant, then you'd have to include some vine inlays... :BadIdea:

*rimshot* PISH :D

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 am

black page, i majored in classical guitar performance at usc and minored in recording arts. worked in tv for years doing both production and post production audio. the usc conservatory is a step above MI or berkley, we had a lot of people who graduated from those and came to advance their craft. you are right, i am close to hollywood, in la county about a 20 minute drive. i learned so much along the way that i now know that i know absolutely nothing.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 pm

louis cyfer wrote:black page, i majored in classical guitar performance at usc and minored in recording arts. worked in tv for years doing both production and post production audio. the usc conservatory is a step above MI or berkley, we had a lot of people who graduated from those and came to advance their craft. you are right, i am close to hollywood, in la county about a 20 minute drive. i learned so much along the way that i now know that i know absolutely nothing.

Nice one mate.started a bachelors in contemporary music(major guitar) with an associated diploma in secondary education at southern cross university but never completed it unfortunately.
Other than Segovia & Williams I don't know squat about classical guitar ,but I used to be able to play a few bars of mason Williams & randy Rhoads' dee once upon a time :lol:
Bein a garsedian & out Hollywood way I imagine you've seen Henderson a few times bud?
What other players you into Louis?
I'm planning to build a small home studio hopefully end of next year,will defineatly hunt you up for some advice.my last effort was on a tascam LOL
Cheers mate.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Just ordered this,should be here in a couple of weeks as well..

Anyone here got a pod HD? Thoughts?

The reason I choose the 300 was because of the size.it still contains the core goodies of the 400-500 pretty well.long term though all going well will use it as a midi trigger for something like an AXE FX.handy little tool to travel with as a stand alone too,getting the carry bag with it.the goal is to build a compact pedal board mounting the footswitch of the MK iV on some form of brace/shelf above it.should go pretty close I think size wise..

Will probably add a bad horsie off to the side & a needle tuner on the upper deck alongside the boogie switch.have never got on with digital tuners for some reason. plenty of options both old & new squarely at my feet then without having to do a Michael Flatley :banana:

I'm but a skeletal vehicle for the GAS monster at the moment,it's tragic really :lol:

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:46 pm

The Black Page wrote:Just ordered this,should be here in a couple of weeks as well..

Anyone here got a pod HD? Thoughts?

The reason I choose the 300 was because of the size.it still contains the core goodies of the 400-500 pretty well.long term though all going well will use it as a midi trigger for something like an AXE FX.handy little tool to travel with as a stand alone too,getting the carry bag with it.the goal is to build a compact pedal board mounting the footswitch of the MK iV on some form of brace/shelf above it.should go pretty close I think size wise..

Will probably add a bad horsie off to the side & a needle tuner on the upper deck alongside the boogie switch.have never got on with digital tuners for some reason. plenty of options both old & new squarely at my feet then without having to do a Michael Flatley :banana:

I'm but a skeletal vehicle for the GAS monster at the moment,it's tragic really :lol:

One of the rhythm guitarists uses this thing, even has a the Varitrax modeling guitar as well. It is not my bag, I am the opposite of Captain Digital, but hey it serves him so peace be with him.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am

JagInTheBag wrote:One of the rhythm guitarists uses this thing, even has a the Varitrax modeling guitar as well. It is not my bag, I am the opposite of Captain Digital, but hey it serves him so peace be with him.

Hi mate,
digressing first. the jem 90 hit my CHU today :D 6 days transit door to door & not a mark on the packaging,so lookin good our end for the WR too :)

The pic does it no justice at all really.what ive posted previously on this thread look to be before it was re chromed & prepped.beside a few minor blemishes on the guard & some light erosion on the poles she'd all but pass as new.couldnt be happier with it.
"Major troutage" will hang from that hook in the next few months as well :D
Regarding the HD 300 pat it's purely a back pack add water & stir jam jobby mate.ive got some friends in Thailand & elsewhere in the PI etc playing rooms that jar me up occasionally to head over & blow smoke with them so all I gotta do with this set up is throw the POD over my shoulder in a carry bag & take the garsed ESP then plug it into an amp the other end & I'm basically set to have a bite on most musical styles the boys are likely to throw at me.providing I get my chops back into shape that is :?
The unit itself isn't real pricey & of the 4 planks I've got the ESP is not only the most diverse,but the most replaceable as well if fate should pertrude it's flight case.
Any serious sonic divinity I'd tackle with the MK IV & use more swank modules or stomps to add colour.getting the HD 300 is solely for practicality & convenience to travel with bud,little more.