Re: What is your favorite ALL TUBE Amp for use with MFD's?

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 pm

A 1963 B-15-N:

Nobody said we were limited to guitar MFDs!

Ken

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

KenC wrote:A 1963 B-15-N:

Nobody said we were limited to guitar MFDs!

Ken

Since when is this Basses by Leo? I thought that was a different forum! ;) ;)

- Jos

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Since when is this Basses by Leo? I thought that was a different forum!

- Jos

My guitar amps aren't worth posting photos of... :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:

Ken

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:05 pm

KenC wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Since when is this Basses by Leo? I thought that was a different forum!

- Jos

(Back to my '86 questions)...I was under the impression it was George & Leo Discussion Page . :eh: :)

I guess there is a disconnect with the 'by' replacing the ampersand...so I understand my(your) confusion...I just don't like it.

I think it should be changed to stand for George and Leo and Dales Preciousness :angel:

To me, good bass amps are just as fine with those teeny 6 string pickups, only with an extended freq. response...anyhooo.

The Oliver amps (Jesse Oliver of Ampeg )had a good response upwards of 25 khz...those things could get insanely bright!!
Of course those were also advertised as good for marimba...so they went low too.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Elwood wrote:
KenC wrote:

- Jos

(Back to my '86 questions)...I was under the impression it was George & Leo Discussion Page . :eh: :)

I guess there is a disconnect with the 'by' replacing the ampersand...so I understand my(your) confusion...I just don't like it.

I think it should be changed to stand for George and Leo and Dales Preciousness :angel:

To me, good bass amps are just as fine with those teeny 6 string pickups, only with an extended freq. response...anyhooo.

The Oliver amps (Jesse Oliver of Ampeg )had a good response upwards of 25 khz...those things could get insanely bright!!
Of course those were also advertised as good for marimba...so they went low too.

The first paragraph of the guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines reads:

Welcome to the G&L® Discussion Page (or G&LDP for short), an exclusive feature of the web's first
and only official G&L enthusiasts website, http://www.guitarsbyleo.com (or GbL for short)!!
This site is dedicated to the innovative guitars and basses that Leo Fender† and
his long-time associate, George Fullerton, created during the last decade of Leo's
career and lifetime, and to the G&L tradition of innovation and hand craftsmanship that
continues in the G&L lineup today. The G&LDP is your meeting place to discuss all
things related to G&L products. G&L guitars, basses, amps, pedals, and other brand
amps and gear we run them through are all fair game! If you want to talk about non-musical topics,
go the G&LDP's Off Topic forum.

So, I see nothing wrong with Ken's post. :thumbup:

BTW, this really is a G&L topic and could have been posted in the Let's talk G&L Products sub-forum.

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Craig wrote: Welcome to the G&L® Discussion Page (or G&LDP for short), an exclusive feature of the web's first
and only official G&L enthusiasts website, http://www.guitarsbyleo.com (or GbL for short)!!

gotcha, sometimes I forget where I am ,my mild dyslexic tendencies don't hlep :lolno:
thanks craig,

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:02 am

Lets just add some clarification on my end. There is nothing wrong with Ken's post (nor with his beautiful amp for that matter!). In my OP there are clearly 2 emoticons. Unfortunately, they did not get included in the quote in Ken's answer. However, the emoticons used in his response, it is clear to me he understood the joke. But anybody only reading that quoted message can easily misconstrue the intended tenor of the message which seems to have been the case.

The lesson we can learn here is that if people get quoted out of context, other people may misread what was stated. So always go back to the source. Or in other words, try to find that mythical horse's mouth ... ;)

- Jos

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Lets just add some clarification on my end. There is nothing wrong with Ken's post (nor with his beautiful amp for that matter!). In my OP there are clearly 2 emoticons. Unfortunately, they did not get included in the quote in Ken's answer. However, the emoticons used in his response, it is clear to me he understood the joke. But anybody only reading that quoted message can easily misconstrue the intended tenor of the message which seems to have been the case.

The lesson we can learn here is that if people get quoted out of context, other people may misread what was stated. So always go back to the source. Or in other words, try to find that mythical horse's mouth ... ;)

- Jos

I guess I need to bump up the max number of emoticons which can be displayed on a post at one time. :think:
So, I'm off to do that now.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Lets just add some clarification on my end. There is nothing wrong with Ken's post (nor with his beautiful amp for that matter!). In my OP there are clearly 2 emoticons. Unfortunately, they did not get included in the quote in Ken's answer. However, the emoticons used in his response, it is clear to me he understood the joke. But anybody only reading that quoted message can easily misconstrue the intended tenor of the message which seems to have been the case.

- Jos

Give me some credit Jos, I read everything...you are right though, as my post didn't convey as much light-heartedness as I wanted to.
I'll admit I also usedthe situation to bring up other things , so it did (or could ) get convoluted into a message noone really intended
to send. I hope that makes sense.

with Love (there's a word that never gets confused with anything else :lol: :fighting0030: :confused0007: :mrgreen: )
elwood

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Hey guys, FWIW, I completely understood Jos's joke. I tried to include Jos's emoticons in my reply, but I got a message that I had exceeded the five emoticon limit for the post. Apparently any that are in quotes count against the total. I figured everybody who read my post would have seen Jos's OP, and understood the humorous context he intended. Sorry for any confusion it caused!

So let's get back to good tube amps. I've been happy with my Blues Junior for about 2 1/2 years now. I just tried out the Sonic Stomp from my last LR stint, and realized how much that amp muddies my new SC-3's tone. I've taken a solemn vow not to give in to GAS again before January 1st, but I think I will need a different amp to do my guitars justice. I'm relying on this thread to find a suitable amp that won't break the bank!

Ken

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

These amps sound pretty good to me. Image

The Swart AST always sounds good. The Tophat Club Royale, on the right, is a very good sounding amp as well. I've been using that one a lot lately. I retubed the TopHat with Preferred Series 7189 (Premium EL84) from thestubestore.com.

RickT

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Elwood wrote:

- Jos

Give me some credit Jos, I read everything...you are right though, as my post didn't convey as much light-heartedness as I wanted to.
I'll admit I also usedthe situation to bring up other things , so it did (or could ) get convoluted into a message noone really intended
to send. I hope that makes sense.

with Love (there's a word that never gets confused with anything else :lol: :fighting0030: :confused0007: :mrgreen: )
elwood

Love you too bro :thumbup: Totally understood what was going on. And since Craig upped the limit of emoticons I could/can add some of myself now. Thanks Craig :thumbup: :thumbup:

- Jos

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm

KenC wrote:Hey guys, FWIW, I completely understood Jos's joke. I tried to include Jos's emoticons in my reply, but I got a message that I had exceeded the five emoticon limit for the post. Apparently any that are in quotes count against the total. I figured everybody who read my post would have seen Jos's OP, and understood the humorous context he intended. Sorry for any confusion it caused!

So let's get back to good tube amps. I've been happy with my Blues Junior for about 2 1/2 years now. I just tried out the Sonic Stomp from my last LR stint, and realized how much that amp muddies my new SC-3's tone. I've taken a solemn vow not to give in to GAS again before January 1st, but I think I will need a different amp to do my guitars justice. I'm relying on this thread to find a suitable amp that won't break the bank!

Ken

Guess you have to schlep your ASATs and SC-3 to a guitar store so you can use your own guitars to test the amps. There must be some good ones out there. On the other hand, sometimes it is just trying to get a handle on the interplay of your amp's tone stack and your guitar. Most Fender amps to my ears seem to want to temper the highs in a guitar since they were designed to deal with the inherent highs in Fender guitars. But G&L pups are way more balanced and hence you have to dial down the highs a tad while not getting the bass too muddy. I run my Mesa Express 5:25 with treble and mid at 12:15 and bass at 9:30 which is quite the deviation from the recommended starting point for a clean sound.

Happy tone hunting!

- Jos

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:39 pm

I play exclusively through "Hooligan Amps". Great vintage designs with "Brutal Tone". :) www.facebook.com/hooliganamps

(full disclosure....I build these amps) My all time favorite circuit that I've built is the 5E7 with 3-10's. Great Blues amp.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 am

My Mesa Nomad 55 212 combo.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm

My favorite local guitar shop makes and sells a line known as Back Alley Barkers. I love their sound. If I were a gigging musician, this would be a "must have" for me. Right now it's first on my list of "really wants."

I own a Fender Blues Junior, which serves me quite well in its garage-band status.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:52 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Just curious....

I'm a firm believer in tube amps, although I own a solid state FM212 as well. I love the chime I get with my SC-3 through my Vox AC-30, especially if I'm doing British Invasion era sets. But if I had to pick my favorite, it would be the sweet breakup I get through my '94 Fender Blues Deluxe, esp. if I'm pushing some volume through the speaker. Actually, whichever guitar I play through the deluxe does it for me.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 am

Carr Amps started making the Impala based off the bassman but with a few mods. Pretty cool looking too!

http://www.carramps.com/products/impala

I love my Carr Mercury. I don't gig so don't need power. It is 8 wonderful watts of all tube goodness and reverb. Very versatile, can put in a 6L6, KT66, EL34 to suit your mood - easy to re-bias. I also have a yellow jacket EL84 adapter when I want a little more spank. Attenuates down to 1/10 watt for quiet time too. I have had it about 10 years and will get rid of my PR silver face and DR-II when I have time to sell them. I never use them anymore and feel guilty looking at them. :cry: