What is your favorite ALL TUBE Amp for use with MFD's?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Just curious....

Re: What is your favorite ALL TUBE Amp for use with MFD's?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:42 pm

About any Boogie, or in my particular case, an Express 5:25 on the Clean channel in the 5W setting.

- Jos

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Well............the only amp I have is a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues.
I've played my ASAT Classic through PRRI, DRRI, SFPR, Vibrolux Reverb (non RI), Blues JR, Peavy classic 30,Peavy Classic 50 4x10, Fender DeVille, Mesa F-30, Mesa Lonestar.

Haven't heard a bad sound from any of 'em. The worst was the DeVille, although with a bit of tweaking, the clean sound wasn't bad--but too loud for my use.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 pm

for large mfd's the fryette memphis so far. for the classic sized mfd's the vht standard 36. i also like the vox ac 15 and 30 for both. but really anything but mesas.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:08 pm

but really anything but mesas.

Lucifer, out of curiosity, have you ever played through a Mesa Blue Angel? The one Boogie you might like. I can understand the difficulty bonding with most Mesas, but the Subway Blues and the Blue Angel I think are superb (and very simple....and both short lived production-wise).

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Fender, Princeton Reverb

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Soldano's and MFD's are tops, pops!

Cheers,

Will

* Ok, maybe out due to technicality. However, worth a shot especially with Leo' s early G&L visions. Got the 80's all over them...
Last edited by willross on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm

suave eddie wrote:

Lucifer, out of curiosity, have you ever played through a Mesa Blue Angel? The one Boogie you might like. I can understand the difficulty bonding with most Mesas, but the Subway Blues and the Blue Angel I think are superb (and very simple....and both short lived production-wise).

actually those 2 are probably the best i have heard from boogie. i tried both of them at the hollywood store. they had character and personality, which is what i find lacking in most of them.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

actually those 2 are probably the best i have heard from boogie. i tried both of them at the hollywood store. they had character and personality, which is what i find lacking in most of them.

Yes

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

The first time I really fell in love with a G&L was playing through a Rivera 40 watt, but that was 20 years ago...anyone have any experience with that brand since?

-also-

PRS HXDA Amp? Or their 2 Channel H that seems to be the media darling as of late...

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

I've liked all of my G&Ls through my Blues Junior. It's not the ideal match for the Superhawk, but the large and small MFDs and original F-100 pups all sound great through it.

At home I run my basses (and sometimes my guitars) through a Fender Bassman Ten. It's wonderful with all of the basses, and really highlights the different pups and body woods. I haven't been able to crank it up with any of the guitars, but at low volumes it gives great clean sounds.

Ken

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:The first time I really fell in love with a G&L was playing through a Rivera 40 watt, but that was 20 years ago...anyone have any experience with that brand since?

-also-

PRS HXDA Amp? Or their 2 Channel H that seems to be the media darling as of late...

i have put those prs amps through their paces, and they sound good, but i guess i was expecting more. for the price i'd rather go in many other directions. the soldano astroverb (i tried serial #1) is very nice and the 3 monkey orangutan sounded great too. that is one fantastic amp. i have not tried the redplate amps with mfd's, something i plan to remedy.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Getting closer to zeroing in on the right amp for me, I'm looking at a Chicago Blues Box Session 4x10

-Or-

A Victoria 45410

They are both hand built, made to order amps and both are done locally and both are based on the '59 Fender Bassman.

My only concern is that it'll be actually too much amp for what I need, perhaps better off with a 30 watt single twelve for both recording and playing out...Ideally, I'd like to have a power attenuator on it so I can take full advantage of the tubes at lover wattage and be able to have GOOD line out so I can play through the house and still use the speaker cabs as monitors- any thoughts?
Last edited by JagInTheBag on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

That Victoria looks great, but the body was stretched for the image. Looks like 4 1/2 speakers...

Cheers,

Will

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm

If you look at pic three on he website, you see the full back open and get an idea of why it looks so tall. These two went head to head for he Buddy Guy signature, the Chicago Blues Box was Buddy's pick after touring with 'em.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:48 pm

the 4x10 bassman runs on 2 ohms, and also very difficult to hook up an attenuator to it. if the victoria is built the same, you'll have issues.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:10 pm

louis cyfer wrote:the 4x10 bassman runs on 2 ohms, and also very difficult to hook up an attenuator to it. if the victoria is built the same, you'll have issues.

Ill have to investigate that. The Blues Box is referred to as a "sonic duplicate" of Buddy Guy's Bassman. I'll find out from the builder on both.

Happy New Year! ~Patrick

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:A Victoria 45410

Ok, I was just looking at the speaker shadows behind the grill and they don't line up correctly. Plus, you can see where it was partially copied and added to the image. Don't know why. I've done quite a bit of image editing and this one was easy to see. Again, don't know why they did it... Nice looking amp BTW.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

willross wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:A Victoria 45410

Ok, I was just looking at the speaker shadows behind the grill and they don't line up correctly. Plus, you can see where it was partially copied and added to the image. Don't know why. I've done quite a bit of image editing and this one was easy to see. Again, don't know why they did it... Nice looking amp BTW.

I see what you mean, the company website has a really good photo that isn't all chopped up, but it too big to post here. Here is a better shot:

I like their logo, but that isn't a reason to buy an amp... ~P

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm

It's about the sound and to a lesser extent, the controls. All things being equal, I'd go for Victoria!

Cheers,

Will

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:25 pm

With will on your picks pat.X2 on the Victoria.nice bitta kit to keep company along side that awesome array of planks of yours mate.had a 4x10 fender tweed for a while,absolutely loved it.
With eddie & yo as far as tubes amps go though.x3 on the boogies.I'm a compulsive tweaker though..

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Patrick - I love the tweed bassman. Any version of it will be great, even the reissue Fender one. While I don't own one, my amp sounds to me more like a bassman than anything else despite using different tubes (EL84s) and different sized speakers (2x12"). At 15 or 30W its also lower powered. I'd go for a used Fender reissue and spend the saved cash on something else.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Patrick - I love the tweed bassman. Any version of it will be great, even the reissue Fender one. While I don't own one, my amp sounds to me more like a bassman than anything else despite using different tubes (EL84s) and different sized speakers (2x12"). At 15 or 30W its also lower powered. I'd go for a used Fender reissue and spend the saved cash on something else.

i have a 96 reissue bassman, and it is a great amp. you can get a mid 90's reissue for 500-600 bucks in great shape.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Patrick - I love the tweed bassman. Any version of it will be great, even the reissue Fender one. While I don't own one, my amp sounds to me more like a bassman than anything else despite using different tubes (EL84s) and different sized speakers (2x12"). At 15 or 30W its also lower powered. I'd go for a used Fender reissue and spend the saved cash on something else.

i have a 96 reissue bassman, and it is a great amp. you can get a mid 90's reissue for 500-600 bucks in great shape.

I think that sounds like a smart plan, I am also considering chasing a used CBB Kingston 30. I will wait until the WR and the Junior II are in house, I have a good friend that has his own Ampeteria, we'll put all these "planks" through their paces and see what sounds the best. Stay tuned! ~P

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Found this used '90's Bassman. http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/3513130866.html Looks like it's been gigged pretty hard. Three out of the four speakers have been replaced. Me thinks I need to keep lookin'.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:The first time I really fell in love with a G&L was playing through a Rivera 40 watt, but that was 20 years ago...anyone have any experience with that brand since?

-also-

Yep, I am using a Rivera Clubster Royal. The Rivera's seem to be the perfect match with G&L guitars.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

twangster2 wrote:

-also-

Yep, I am using a Rivera Clubster Royal. The Rivera's seem to be the perfect match with G&L guitars.

Right now, i am leaning toward a Venus 3 at the moment, just have to get a chance to play through. My best friend has a Rivera head that is long since discontinued, it is the amp to which all others in his arsenal are compared. My local store is looking to capture Rivera distributorship during this trip to NAMM. We shall see!

In other news, I also found Dan Butler of Chicago Blues Box, he is only selling through a couple outlets and still taking custom orders. If I wanted a hand built boutique, he'd do it, but with no variation from his established designs...Here is mention of his work on a video taken on Buddy Guy's rig rundown, begins at 2:50:

[youtube]6BbQq6FpD7g[/youtube]

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:33 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
twangster2 wrote:

-also-

Right now, i am leaning toward a Venus 3 at the moment, just have to get a chance to play through. My best friend has a Rivera head that is long since discontinued, it is the amp to which all others in his arsenal are compared. My local store is looking to capture Rivera distributorship during this trip to NAMM. We shall see!

In other news, I also found Dan Butler of Chicago Blues Box, he is only selling through a couple outlets and still taking custom orders. If I wanted a hand built boutique, he'd do it, but with no variation from his established designs...Here is mention of his work on a video taken on Buddy Guy's rig rundown, begins at 2:50:

[youtube]6BbQq6FpD7g[/youtube]

Have you tried the LTD Rivera venus 3 with the EVM?

Holy crap.. My buddy got one. The thing kicks butt to no end.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:52 pm

twangster2 wrote:
Have you tried the LTD Rivera venus 3 with the EVM?

Holy crap.. My buddy got one. The thing kicks butt to no end.

I figured all those were gone. Love the idea of the EVM-10 speaker, and the added foot switches. I wonder if the foot switches are available as an upcharge on the "regular" Venus3...

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 pm

I can't say for sure.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 am

I've been playing my F100 through a Crate Vintage Club 50 from around 1990 or so. Just pulled it out of my basement storage last weekend, and I'm quite pleased with it, sounds great. Don't know why I haven't been using it, other than it weighs a ton. It's a 3x12, made right here in my home town of St Louis, Mo.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 am

I play my 1993 ASAT through a tweed Champ clone (5W with a 8" Weber HP). Love it! :banana:

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 am

When I brought my ASAT in to get setup for .11 strings I had a chance to try it out through an old beat up 50's tweed fender deluxe.
It was the best amp I have ever played through but then again I REALLY love that tweed sound.

For the most part I play it through my Valvetrain Lexington Reverb or through a Fender Excelsior.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 am

Mine is the Carvin vintage amp, Belaire, or Nomad.
LS

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Ahryn wrote:When I brought my ASAT in to get setup for .11 strings I had a chance to try it out through an old beat up 50's tweed fender deluxe.
It was the best amp I have ever played through but then again I REALLY love that tweed sound.

For the most part I play it through my Valvetrain Lexington Reverb or through a Fender Excelsior.

i have a 57 old tweed deluxe, and it does sound great with mfd's, but after getting the two rock, i have to say, there is no better amp than the custom reverb signature for an mfd.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
i have a 57 old tweed deluxe, and it does sound great with mfd's, but after getting the two rock, i have to say, there is no better amp than the custom reverb signature for an mfd.

And now I have something to research/drool over :lol:

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Thought I'd toss this in the pile-

Check out the new offering from Swart ( I haven't played through one but I know two nicely balanced Swarts
turn a room into cloud 9 ) :

New ST-Stereo Head

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Ok, tube... Here:

Cheers,

Will

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Playing my new ASAT Special thru a Deluxe Reverb, on channel two, with a 12AX7 for the Phase-Inverter, and the Pre-Amp from the clean channel pulled, to lower the headroom.

Sounds like a Tube Champ, or a GA-20.

This guitar sounds really good on a little Tiny Terror with a 12" Greenback.

I also tried it on a Relic blues deville, just because it had a $5,800 price tag, but I couldn't get the thing turned up without the wall rattling so I didn't really get to hear it sing.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 am

Dean Markley CD 60 I think they even started making them again.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I am planning to run a Tribute Comanche (not yet purchased) into a Carvin V3M Combo. The Vintage Series amps from Carvin have clipping diodes for the drive sound, and a tone stack designed with that in mind, so they don't appeal to me nearly so much. I would go with the Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:50 if I could spare the cash, since they were kind enough to include the clean channel from the Lone Star and the EQ module from the Mark V. A nice middle ground would be the Rivera Pubster 45, but I don't think I can pass up the cost efficiency and low weight of the V3M.

Oh yeah, I'm back. Sorry for the disappearing act; life became quite complicated for a while. I am currently selling all of my guitar gear to establish a moving fund—being that I need to look after my grandmother now that she's a widow—so I will set up the aforementioned affordable rig after the move. My main instrument will become the Chapman Stick, and the Comanche will be pretty much dedicated to blues and blues inspired rock.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 pm

1961 Fender Showman through a 72 Marshall 4x12 cab w/ WGS ET65s AND VET30s in an X pattern. Big, bold and sweet.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 pm

BigJake wrote:1961 Fender Showman through a 72 Marshall 4x12 cab w/ WGS ET65s AND VET30s in an X pattern. Big, bold and sweet.

Sweet, What's at the other end of the cord ?
Welcome BTW,
elwood

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 pm

For BASS!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I'm a breath away from pulling the trigger on a Fender Super Reverb. I had one when I was in college and it was a superb amplifier. I've tried out several G&L's on this amp and always loved the combination --- including even the reissue!
Tim

I picked a '68 up for $200 at a yard sale several years ago. I need to get it back to playing condition (the tubes and caps are all original). I had it scheduled to go in to the tech right after my Bassman Ten was serviced, but I really wasn't happy with the job he had done on the Bassman. If anybody knows of a good amp tech in the DC or Baltimore areas, I would appreciate you letting me know!

Ken

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 pm

My favorite amp has become the 77 Vibrasonic Reverb I picked up last week. With the JBL, it is sweet.-- Darwin

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 am

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I'm a breath away from pulling the trigger on a Fender Super Reverb. I had one when I was in college and it was a superb amplifier. I've tried out several G&L's on this amp and always loved the combination --- including even the reissue!
Tim

I just put a down payment today on a 1966 Fender Super Reverb , mint all original except a recent re-tube , it sounds beautiful but will probably take a week or two to get it home , I think it will be a good addition to my peavey Classic 30

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Present go-to amp is a DRRI with an Eminence Red White and Blues in it, the Vibrato channel "Bright" cap removed, V1 removed, and some beefier screen resistors. Also a negative-feedback control pot (mounted on the back of the chassis) placed in series with the grey wire from the output jack, which let me trim how the amp transitions into distortion.
This amp goes DI really well via a Palmer PDI-03, and is great with a HotPlate soak for little gigs.

I think this amp really needs some better tube sockets, especially for the 6V6's and the rectifier. Must do soon. But otherwise not bad at all.

In its present incarnation, it gets on well with MFDs! I like it.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:46 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:About any Boogie, or in my particular case, an Express 5:25 on the Clean channel in the 5W setting.

- Jos

This...

I use my ASAT w/MFD through a <gasp> Peavey 5150 Combo for happy hour/jazz trio. I've used it through my Mesa Quad Channel 1, and a 69 Fender Bandmaster. When I need to read charts, it works perfect through any amp I've had available. (Atlantic City union companies supply what they want you to play through... :confused0077: )