Thinking about purchasing a PRS Custom 24..

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 am

Anyone here have positive or negative opinions about PRS guitars? particularly the PRS Custom 24?

Re: Thinking about purchasing a PRS Custom 24..

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:35 am

they are great. for playing, not so much. there is just something lacking. mojo.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah, that must be why PRS sells so many of them? :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Lefty wrote:Yeah, that must be why PRS sells so many of them? :lol:

they look really nice. very well made. the tone has always been lacking for me in all but one i have tried, and that was not a custom 24.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm

you should have specified only positive opinions, since you have already made up your mind, based on the numbers they sell.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Okay, have it your way. Everything sucks except your lofty opinions. :banana:

But you are right, I should have only asked for opinions from someone with a more positive attitude. Just because you don't like something doesn't make your opinion valuable.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Anyone here have positive or negative opinions about PRS guitars? particularly the PRS Custom 24?

But you are right, I should have only asked for opinions from someone with a more positive attitude. Just because you don't like something doesn't make your opinion valuable.

I'm a bit confused................................Do you only want positive opinions?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Lefty wrote:Okay, have it your way. Everything sucks except your lofty opinions. :banana:

i didn't say only my opinion counted. i simply said what MY opinion was. my opinion is not negative. nice looking and very well made is hardly a negative. please, do learn how to read, including your own posts.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:40 pm

No, but I was hoping for insight from someone who owns one or has owned one. I guess the G&L forum was the wrong place to ask? If there was a way to delete this thread, I'd go ahead & do that...

:)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Lefty, I have a Johnny Hiland Prs which is a very nice guitar. It has a 10 top and is put together very well. I am primarily a bassist but when I do lead work, I would often use it. I have the wide thin neck and find it very comfortable, especially if you have larger fingers. I only thing i would change is the volume pot. I hit at easily and it turns down. It also turns very easily. I like the tone and the feel and it is one of the few PRS guitars that has a maple neck. It sure worked for Johnny Hiland. It is one that I will keep and I have many brands.-- Darwin

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm

darwinohm wrote:Lefty, I have a Johnny Hiland Prs which is a very nice guitar. It has a 10 top and is put together very well. I am primarily a bassist but when I do lead work, I would often use it. I have the wide thin neck and find it very comfortable, especially if you have larger fingers. I only thing i would change is the volume pot. I hit at easily and it turns down. It also turns very easily. I like the tone and the feel and it is one of the few PRS guitars that has a maple neck. It sure worked for Johnny Hiland. It is one that I will keep and I have many brands.-- Darwin

interestingly, the only prs i have played that i liked the sound and playablity on had a maple neck. and maple board. not many prs' have that for sure.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:18 am

I always try to test the more exclusive gutars when I'm in a store. Every PRS I have tried have been
built to high standard and they all had great tones. I always walked away wanting one.
If I could justify spending that kind of money I would definately get one, but that little extra
is unfortunately very expensive.

Cheers
L-zr

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am

Lazer wrote:I always try to test the more exclusive gutars when I'm in a store. Every PRS I have tried have been
built to high standard and they all had great tones. I always walked away wanting one.
If I could justify spending that kind of money I would definately get one, but that little extra
is unfortunately very expensive.

Cheers
L-zr

Yes, I definitely plan to play this guitar before I actually make a decision to purchase it (or not.) I could buy 3-4 G&L's (used) for the same price - if I could find that many "lefty" guitars that I wanted.
PRS doesn't offer "lefty" guitars very often - This is the first time they have offered the Lefty Custom 24.
http://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/custom-24-left-hand-2/
Personally, I don't play anything I don't want or can't afford. To me, there is no point in driving a Lamborghini if all I can afford is a Chevy.

Thanks much for your input!! ;)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:25 am

darwinohm wrote:Lefty, I have a Johnny Hiland Prs which is a very nice guitar. It has a 10 top and is put together very well. I am primarily a bassist but when I do lead work, I would often use it. I have the wide thin neck and find it very comfortable, especially if you have larger fingers. I only thing i would change is the volume pot. I hit at easily and it turns down. It also turns very easily. I like the tone and the feel and it is one of the few PRS guitars that has a maple neck. It sure worked for Johnny Hiland. It is one that I will keep and I have many brands.-- Darwin

Hey Darwin,

Nice to hear that you have a PRS that you enjoy! The PRS I am looking at has a Mahogany neck which is okay with me - only my Fender and G&L guitars have Maple necks. I find that guitars with Mahogany necks are more stable, IE, stay in tune better through temperature & humidity changes.

I hope I like the PRS when I try it out. Variety is the spice of life! :happy0007:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

For what it's worth, I owned a PRS Mira for a while. Great build quality, super light, played great, and sounded really nice too. The Mira can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Custom 24, and lots of people think it's one of the most versatile guitars that PRS makes. In the end, I decided I'm more of a single-coil/MFD kinda guy, so I sold it (even though the humbuckers on the Mira sounded good tapped). I often thinking about picking up another one at some point, and probably will. I'm particularly interested in the Mira with P-90s.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 pm

I got a chance to play the Lefty PRS Custom 24 last Friday - I loved it, puchased it, and am anxiously waiting for it! :happy0007:

Darwin - Like you said, the only thing I didn't like about it was the position of the volume knob & how easy it is to turn the volume down while you're playing. I'm hoping (of course) that this will be a minor annoyance. If not, I will replace the pot with one that does not turn so easily.

Conversely, I guess I could complain about how hard it is to turn the pots on my G&L guitars, but I won't. ;)
Last edited by Lefty on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Post a picture when you get it. They are really nice guitars!-- Darwin

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I've owned several PRS guitars and I think they are fine instruments. I've had a McCarty, Santana II, 2 Archtops, and another model whose name escapes me now. I currently own an Archtop Jazz which is a very fine guitar.

RickT

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 pm

They can sound great, though they dont sound like a Tele, Strat or Les Paul and I feel this is where the "Lack of Mojo" argument always seems to come into play.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:40 am

darwinohm wrote:Post a picture when you get it. They are really nice guitars!-- Darwin

I am loving my new PRS: Image

Like Paul101 says, it doesn't sound like it's trying to imitate a LP or a Strat - and that's OKAY!

More photos are available here:http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=uza1SJHrXnoOebnzPjeZ4Q%3D%3D or a description and photos here:
http://www.sixstring-guitar.com/Gallery8.html

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 am

being a lefty player as well, I just have to say, WOW! Stunning!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 am

Lefty, the best color on the planet and the wood grain is superb. Great score!-- Darwin

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 am

it is absolutely gorgeous. i like those trem bridges actually, they did a very good job. only the dfs and suhr bridges i like better.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Very nice! No PRS experience, but that bridge looks like an Ed Roman(RIP) Pearlcaster Tremolo.

Cheers,

Will

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Lefty, I just looked at the rest of your photos and this thing is really superb. I have not seen the open gear tuners before.-- Darwin

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 am

I'm another lefty and let me just say I WANT IT!...congrats, and what a Great looking guit!

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 am

Awesome plank lefty.love the top & especially 2-4 position split so you can have a flitter with more woodier tones. :clap:

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Sweet looking guitar. Love that color. How does she sound?

Stop

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Sweet guitar! I have a prs and love the attention to detail they put into their instruments . Congrats on the new find.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments!! :happy0007: I've had my Custom 24 for a few months now & I love it more every time I play it. The neck is awesome, the pickups produce clean tones (not icepick;) are very quiet but very responsive to pick attack. The 5 way switching is awesome, the controls are high quality. The PRS tremolo is the best I've used - This guitar stays in tune - period! I also find that the mahogany neck is very stable - humidity & temperature changes hardly affect the tuning.

Fit & finish are near perfection. I'd like to get a Custom 22 lefty (PRS made some last year,) but I can't afford it right now...

I still love my G&L's :luv: I hope to add a new G&L with a roasted Maple neck in the future!!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Jerry's has a big selection with one-off colors too. 22's and 24's...

Cheers,

Will

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 am

I have owned a PRS CU24 for the past 5-6 years and it is one of my favorites. Plays effortlessly, great tones and versatile. The tremolo is one of the best IMO. Since owning it I've bought some SE single-cut models for gigging and though not as refined as the USA model, the newer ones anyway play great and sound very good though I sometimes change the pickups. To me the difference in the PRS SE imports and USA models is similar to my experience with my G&L Legacy Tribute and USA model. Both nice but the USA is more refined.

PRS as well as Mesa seem to stir up a lot of polarized views. I have read others who said it was missing mojo or sounds good, just not great. Like Mesa there are a lot of models for different tones and playing styles to choose from. I played with a guy who didn't like PRS because they looked like furniture. Fancy flamed/quilted tops are not for everyone but I like them. Also like plain solid colors. That one you've got is very nice looking and I like the blade switch better than the rotary. The only thing wrong with it is they built it back wards.

Glad you've bonded with your PRS. If you get the itch for a LP style guitar for cheap take a look at the PRS SE 245.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:If you get the itch for a LP style guitar for cheap take a look at the PRS SE 245.

I love mine, but I've got to sell it (this isn't meant as a commercial). I had it modified by a PRS Authorized Technician (I kept all the original parts, just in case) to include:
  • a Pigtail wrap-around intonatable tailpiece
  • a Graphtech TUSQ XL nut
  • Grover 406C locking tuning machines
  • Dunlop Straplok strap buttons
As modified, the guitar is an absolute beast; I have used it in standard tuning, Open C Minor, and Open D Minor. The GHS Eric Johnson Signature strings (medium, .11–.52") are stable in those tunings, and the tension is absolutely perfect for me in standard. The stock pickups are fine, being a Korean copy of the HFS set used is the US guitars throughout the 90s, but I have lusted for a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas humbuckrs for months now.

All this is to say that MJ's advice is quite sound.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Nice score, I recently found myself purchasing an excellen CU 22 after spending about 1.5-2 hrs in a store with many USA PRS.

What pickups are those? Mine carries 59/09s which are damned excellent. Quite high output too (higher output than a set of Rebel Yells I have). Not quite sure how people are hitting the volume pots though, never had that issue with any of the PRS I played.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:11 am

MJ Slaughter wrote:I have owned a PRS CU24 for the past 5-6 years and it is one of my favorites. Plays effortlessly, great tones and versatile. The tremolo is one of the best IMO. Since owning it I've bought some SE single-cut models for gigging and though not as refined as the USA model, the newer ones anyway play great and sound very good though I sometimes change the pickups. To me the difference in the PRS SE imports and USA models is similar to my experience with my G&L Legacy Tribute and USA model. Both nice but the USA is more refined.

PRS as well as Mesa seem to stir up a lot of polarized views. I have read others who said it was missing mojo or sounds good, just not great. Like Mesa there are a lot of models for different tones and playing styles to choose from. I played with a guy who didn't like PRS because they looked like furniture. Fancy flamed/quilted tops are not for everyone but I like them. Also like plain solid colors. That one you've got is very nice looking and I like the blade switch better than the rotary. The only thing wrong with it is they built it back wards.

Glad you've bonded with your PRS. If you get the itch for a LP style guitar for cheap take a look at the PRS SE 245.

i think prs makes absolutely gorgeous guitars. they do look like a piece of very nice furniture, and i don't think there is a better guitar to display on the wall.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 am

sirmyghin wrote:Nice score, I recently found myself purchasing an excellen CU 22 after spending about 1.5-2 hrs in a store with many USA PRS.

What pickups are those? Mine carries 59/09s which are damned excellent. Quite high output too (higher output than a set of Rebel Yells I have). Not quite sure how people are hitting the volume pots though, never had that issue with any of the PRS I played.

Congrats! on getting the CU22. :happy0065: I am drooling over one from Willcutt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Reed-Smith-PRS-Custom-22-Lefty-Black-Gold-10-Top-587-/321071136299?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ac154be2b but really can't afford it right now..

My CU24 has the 59/09 pickups & I agree they are excellent. As far as hitting the volume pot - that happened to me once early on. I think the volume pot is exactly where it should be.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am

louis cyfer wrote: i think prs makes absolutely gorgeous guitars. they do look like a piece of very nice furniture, and i don't think there is a better guitar to display on the wall.

:happy0007:

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:49 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
MJ Slaughter wrote:I have owned a PRS CU24 for the past 5-6 years and it is one of my favorites. Plays effortlessly, great tones and versatile. The tremolo is one of the best IMO. Since owning it I've bought some SE single-cut models for gigging and though not as refined as the USA model, the newer ones anyway play great and sound very good though I sometimes change the pickups. To me the difference in the PRS SE imports and USA models is similar to my experience with my G&L Legacy Tribute and USA model. Both nice but the USA is more refined.

i think prs makes absolutely gorgeous guitars. they do look like a piece of very nice furniture, and i don't think there is a better guitar to display on the wall.

+1 - I'd have to agree!

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Nice wall Lefty!!!-- Darwin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 pm

very nice. it's just beautiful. i do like the prs tremolos. and there is one maple neck 3 pup version that i actually liked. but the prs looks kinda funny with a maple fretboard.

this one. of course it doesn't look as good as the other prs.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm

louis cyfer wrote:but the prs looks kinda funny with a maple fretboard.

Yeah, I've got to agree. Oddly, I think the NF3 looks more PRS-ish with a maple fretboard than the other models; I guess it's something to do with the coils of the pickups.