Experiences With Cables

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:11 am

It's quiet on the forum so I am posting my recent experiences with cables. I picked up a couple of XLR (Microphone) cables yesterday, 5 foot each to run to my BBe Sonic Maximizer for the vocals. A few years ago our singer picked up a set of 10 XLR cables from an on line large box retailer for the microphones. I have repaired most of them and they have been dismal from a reliability standpoint. Usually cables break at the connector end but these would break somewhere within the length of the cable. Every time we would setup the PA we would deal with cable issues. The last year I have been responsible for the PA and setup and I went to a local company and picked up XLR cables that they build and have a free lifetime replacement warranty. I had made up a couple of 3 foot cables to run from the Sonic Maximizer to the pa input from a piece of those junk cables and used them for over a year. A week ago when I hooked them up i had low output from both channels on the maximizer and thought I was having a problem with the Maximizer. I did put a good cable on one channel to test and it was perfect. I then replaced the other one and we were in business. What are the odds of this happening the same way at the same time. I now have all good cables and since buying the more durable type, I have not had one fail. I have seen guitar cables fail over the years but it has not been common. I notice a long time ago that these cheap cables had a wire size about the size of a mosquito stinger and I could hardly see them to solder them. I also make some of my own cables using good wire. If I recall correctly he bought these cables at 10 for around $40.

I know that cables have been discussed here many times but do not waste any money on cheap cables. They are a total waste of money and the ones I had been fixing were wire from China. After I started looking at them closely, I discovered it was like the metal was rotting and they would almost fall apart. So cables on the cheap are usually not a good deal and I do not buy the most expensive either but something that has a lifetime warranty may be okay. At least if it fails, it will be replaced at no cost. The two I bought yesterday were Live Wire and they have good connectors on them. For what its worth.-- Darwin

Re: Experiences With Cables

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:18 am

The last time I needed more guitar cables (where do they all go? I am always short one) I ordered a couple from Lava Cable. That was maybe six months ago, and I am still happy with the cables I got. Even their least expensive ones are made using good materials and built very well. They don't currently make microphone cables but I've heard they're planning on expanding in that direction.

-Jukka

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 am

Great story, D-Dog. Now where's this cable place?

Cheers.

Will

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Will, I go to Metro Sound and Lighting.-- Darwin

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:06 pm

cables matter big time. i now use only colossal cables and on my board i use george l's. the difference in sound and reliability is incredible.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:03 am

Here is a great link regarding building your own cables. I hate cheap cables. The time that gets wasted during set up some times....anyway here it is

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... =9&t=16532

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 am

Good information. XLR cables are a bit more difficult to solder and it is quite easy to build cables but you must know how to solder. Good link, thanks for posting.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 am

I make all my own cables and have no issues. I hate repairing cables more than anything.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

i used to make my own, but using the silver coated wire with the silver solder takes better skills. buying the cable and components of the ones i buy would run me 75 bucks and i pay 90 for the already made cable.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am

louis cyfer wrote:i used to make my own, but using the silver coated wire with the silver solder takes better skills. buying the cable and components of the ones i buy would run me 75 bucks and i pay 90 for the already made cable.

Silver solder is a pain, but unless you want to rewire every piece in your entire rig with silver (including amp guts, guitar guts ,etc), I don't think any advantage will be clear as you still have many, many, 'weak' links.

I pay about 8-10$ for something that would market for 40, so come out much better after I put in the 20 minutes of work.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

I used to make all my own guitar cables back in the day, using this special very low capacitance Belden computer cable with a light blue pvc jacket and mil-spec brass plugs. Sounded great! But when I used it all up, I started buying cables, and I've had pretty good luck with the Guitar Center Live Wires, ProCo, Peavey, Mogami, and Spectraflex cables I've used. Cable quality is MUCH better now than it was back in the 1970's. I also like the cheap Rapco "Road Hog" cables that GC sells. Those are really good cables--check the specs.

I don't care for Monster cables, though their speaker cable is good. Too expensive, and for a short 5' or under run, not really necessary.

And soldering mic cables--never again! What a pain!

Bill

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:I used to make all my own guitar cables back in the day, using this special very low capacitance Belden computer cable with a light blue pvc jacket and mil-spec brass plugs. Sounded great!
Bill

hmmm..sounds familiar, I have 3 alembic supercords in use everyday that sound great, though I've had to replace the plugs .

Here's a pic I found of a 'Y' cord they made in the early seventies.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:39 am

You guys NEED to check out this link about Cables.
The person did some analysis on different models and such.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cables.shtml

As for the cables you run from effect to effect on your pedal board. It doesn't matter what you use. They will all sound the same. Just get one that works with no crackling sound or bad connection.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm

After I ordered my G&: I ordered a good set of Mogami Cable from lava Cable.

That's been about two years now, I'm thinking maybe I should look at something new before they fail :P

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 pm

I used to think expensive cables made a huge difference in my sound. Not any more. I use good decent cables for live and studio work, mainly because I don't want any problems with shorts when time is money.

But honestly, the cheap $1 cables that are included with Tribute's and Squier's sound fine to me for most applications.

I'm sure there is probably an audible difference, but believe it or not, sometimes a cheap cord that rolls off some highs is desirable if you're using a bright guitar.

Hendrix was known to use the 60's cheap coil cords for playing live because he swore they helped with reducing squealing feedback on his Strats.

One other thing - some of my guitars make better contact at the jack with a cheaper cord. Weird!

Different strokes for different folks.

My 2¢
Will

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:57 am

Most of the music stores on the NJ Shore will swap them if you bring them back. When we're on a heavy playing schedule, we go through at least one mic cable a week. We always grab the lowest cost cable with lifetime replacement. :alright:
helle-man wrote:I used to think expensive cables made a huge difference in my sound. Not any more. I use good decent cables for live and studio work, mainly because I don't want any problems with shorts when time is money.

<snip>

One other thing - some of my guitars make better contact at the jack with a cheaper cord. Weird!

Different strokes for different folks.

My 2¢
Will

Same here. Sometimes the rubber sheath doesn't let the cable lock down.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:13 am

I have been using Pro Co cables for years( http://www.procosound.com/cables). I still have a few that have served me without failure since the late '90s. They are not the cheapest, but definitely nowhere near the most expensive. They use quality materials and if not abused, they seem to be very reliable.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:29 pm

No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer, but here's a tough as nails cable with relatively low capacitance, no handling noise, and a reasonable price point: http://armorgoldcables.com/. Worth a listen if you're in the market...