Tone You Don't Like

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:36 am

Not so much on this forum but on some other forums people are often seeking to achieve Stevie, or Jimi or John Mayer or some other artist' tone or they are raving about Johnny A's tone etc. I thought it migh be fun to discuss the tone(s) that leave you cold, confused, disappointed or just not emotionally affected :happy0007:
This is not a slam post. I have great respect for anyone who can make money playing music. I do not want to go negative on peoples character or the style of music that they play, just their choice of guitar tone. I hope we have disagreement, for example I really like Robert Cray's tone but a lot of people find it thin.

My pick of tone that leaves me unaffected and somewhat disappointed is Derek Trucks'. My experience in his music is limited to perhaps a dozen songs on which he is featured that have been played on the local blues show that I listen to on public radio. This includes songs with the others like the Allman Bros and his wife. To me his tone is too aggressive, which is not helped by the fact that they often put him too far forward in the mix, which pushes him into your face and forces you to pay attention. I also think his tone is way too fuzzy, so fuzzy that it covers the dynamics of his playing. I really don't feel any real emotion in his playing. Its almost like it's too perfect, robotic like. I liked Greg Allman's slide work much better than anything I've heard to date from Derek. That said I recognize he is tremendously talented. I just don't like the way he chooses to share it with others.

Re: Tone You Don't Like

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Off the top of my head:

Eric Clapton with Cream.
Hound Dog Taylor
Gary Moore.
Steve Vai.

Hound Dog Taylor's sound is very tinny, Clapton can be too buzzy, Gary Moore is dull and lifeless like an electric car horn. I can't put my finger on what I don't like about Vai's sound but it's almost like the it contains unnatural harmonics.

-Jukka

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:10 pm

satriani and vai come to mind. clapton as well. never cared for hendrix's or page's tone either.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 am

Slash.

Bonamassa. Too flashy, too much stuff. Bald.

A lot of the "Brent Mason-alikes" in country music. Too much compression, too many notes. Yawn.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Slash.

A lot of the "Brent Mason-alikes" in country music. Too much compression, too many notes. Yawn.

i think there is a difference in not liking the tone of someone vs not liking the playing. many can't differentiate.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 am

louis cyfer wrote:

i think there is a difference in not liking the tone of someone vs not liking the playing. many can't differentiate.

Good point Louis.

Jukka - I'm not familiar with Vai's or Satriani's work. When I was younger I tried listening to guitar gurus like Robert Fripp and John McLaughlin but I never connected so I've stayed clear since.

Jamie - You don't like Brent Mason or just his imitators? I actually like Brent and love his tone. Yes it is modern but that in itself is not bad. I find his tone refreshingly clean, it is compressed but not over the top. It not squishy like some other country pickers I've heard. HIs leads and fills are quite appropriate in the context of the song and his tone compliments his style. THis is all based on listening to Alan Jackson. I have no idea who else he's played for. That said I like old Country better than new Country. Don Rich's tone was killer and pure Telecaster. For a treat listen to the solo on WAylon Jenning's, The Only Daddy That Will Walk the Line. Wayne Moss plays the solo on a Jazzmaster, yet it's still very much a chicken pickin treat! It's a great Country solo, one of my favorites.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 am

Tom, I'm with you this one. Don Rich's tone was as classic Tele as it gets. I also love John Conleys live at Billy Bobs. His brother Steve was his lead player and the guy had killer tone and could chicken pick with the best. I love that old stuff. I could never get the Clapton thing. Vince Gill I do get!-- Darwin

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm

I knew of few guitar players that wanted that "tone". Which meant, crank it to 10.
Yeah, that might have reached that tone they were looking for, but no one wanted be a football field length close to the amp.
The worst tone I can think of is this guitar player at my church that plays once in a while. I think he goes through a digital machine, nothing with tubes. Sounds like crap.
If you are playing through tubes, it is really hard for me to tell if it is crappy tone especially when I am listening through an MP3 player.

Here is my music composition teacher.
[youtube]oBa6-w-PIEo[/youtube]

People complain about his tone in the comment section. But I can't tell. I must be tone deaf.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I hear more pick than tone in this video!! :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:27 pm

asphalt-abate wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Good point Louis.

Jukka - I'm not familiar with Vai's or Satriani's work. When I was younger I tried listening to guitar gurus like Robert Fripp and John McLaughlin but I never connected so I've stayed clear since.

Jamie - You don't like Brent Mason or just his imitators? I actually like Brent and love his tone. Yes it is modern but that in itself is not bad. I find his tone refreshingly clean, it is compressed but not over the top. It not squishy like some other country pickers I've heard. HIs leads and fills are quite appropriate in the context of the song and his tone compliments his style. THis is all based on listening to Alan Jackson. I have no idea who else he's played for. That said I like old Country better than new Country. Don Rich's tone was killer and pure Telecaster. For a treat listen to the solo on WAylon Jenning's, The Only Daddy That Will Walk the Line. Wayne Moss plays the solo on a Jazzmaster, yet it's still very much a chicken pickin treat! It's a great Country solo, one of my favorites.

I figure until I can play better than any of these guys - I have nothing to say about not liking their tone. :crazy:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i think there is a difference in not liking the tone of someone vs not liking the playing. many can't differentiate.

I don't like Bonamassa's tone OR playing.

Tom - Brent Mason himself is okay with me, its all the imitators that I have a problem with. And that tone on "Only Daddy..." is one of my favourites of all time. . I like raw guitar sounds :thumbup:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 pm

I've heard great tone thru solid-state amps and cheap guitars, and I've heard crap tone come out of high-end gear.
The worst for my taste is the guy with dozens of pedals and a full rack of DSP's , at that point the guitar and amp do not make any difference at all.
Keep it simple.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 pm

meowmix wrote:I knew of few guitar players that wanted that "tone". Which meant, crank it to 10.
Yeah, that might have reached that tone they were looking for, but no one wanted be a football field length close to the amp.
The worst tone I can think of is this guitar player at my church that plays once in a while. I think he goes through a digital machine, nothing with tubes. Sounds like crap.
If you are playing through tubes, it is really hard for me to tell if it is crappy tone especially when I am listening through an MP3 player.

Here is my music composition teacher.
[youtube]oBa6-w-PIEo[/youtube]

People complain about his tone in the comment section. But I can't tell. I must be tone deaf.

there is a lot of pick noise in there, but people forget that youtube, especially back then used horrible compression schemes, and makes the tone sound bad no matter what. he is playing on the edge of break up, and a bunch of idiots complaining there is not enough distortion. don't listen to morons. there are other morons who are unable to differentiate between someone playing only fast, and someone playing fast with nice feel and phrasing. of course the listener has to be skilled enough to be able to tell the difference, just because there are too many notes, it doesn't mean it is not good. when you read the comments, it is pretty obvious the ones complaining about that only wish they had some technical ability, and justify not getting better by dismissing those who have it.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 am

Ledergeist wrote:I've heard great tone thru solid-state amps and cheap guitars, and I've heard crap tone come out of high-end gear. The worst for my taste is the guy with dozens of pedals and a full rack of DSP's , at that point the guitar and amp do not make any difference at all.
Keep it simple.

I agree with everything in this statement.

Simplicity is one of the most under appreciated things, and not just in a guitar tone context. It's a beautiful thing AND its easier! Win-Win!

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am

Hound Dog Taylor's sound is very tinny...........

I thought this was pretty funny............
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/32 ... -tone.html

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Although I love his playing and his phrasing, I don't like Roy Buchanan's tone. I find it brittle, harsh and lacking warmth. I also agree with many of you about some of the other players you've cited. Gary Moore's feedback-soaked sound bores me. Ditto Vai's overprocessed metal tones. I am starting to agree with Keith Richards about keeping it simple: Find a good guitar and a good amp, twiddle the knobs, and you're golden.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I know it's sacrilege in some circles, but I have to agree about Roy Buchanan. I have to add Danny Gatton also--I can only take either of those guys in limited doses.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 pm

The one guy that really come to mind for me is Albert Collins. He was a terrific player, but talk about ice-pick tone!

Tone is so subjective. Everybody hears things differently. And as long as I'm happy with my tone, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Bill

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 am

louis cyfer wrote:

This is probably the most true thing in this thread. I think people tend to focus too much on what gear people are using to achieve their 'tone' vs what they are actually doing with the guitar due to this. Which leads to all those depressed gear whores flipping stuff like mad as it is not 'giving the tone' they wanted/thought it would.

Hard to think of tones I don't like overall, but I don't use any one tone. Everything has to mesh well, different moods, different songs, different tones. The tone must suit the needs of the song which leaves a lot open for use.

I don't like John Myung's bass tone as it gets buried too easily, and takes away a bit from what the man brings to the table.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I think it is fair to "talk smack" about someone's choices in how they present their performance, tone wise. The reason for this is that the choices one makes to create their 'tone' or 'sound' are subjective while playing is 'an art' or 'skill'. Take Slash and put him on Chet Atkins' rig and his playing will not change, but his 'tone' will. Now of course there is an exception to every rule. In this instance David Gilmour comes to mind, sometimes his sound processing becomes part of the instrument, so I guess there is a grey area in my theory. While I will never be able to play like Steve Vai, or Malmsteen I absolutely hate the way they sound. To me they both roll off too much of the low end for the sake of clarity, the ability to reproduce that many notes in such a short time. To me it is like watching someone play anything by Chopin on a mini moog when there is a perfectly good 12 foot Bosendorfer right next to them. Do not get me wrong I am blown away by the technical stuff, but I need more than that. I agree that Ice Pick sound kinda hurts. I can see how it can be used to emote on certain songs, but not for everything. After that I am pretty much game, but now that I think about it I do like warmer tones better.