Mesa Mark V in the house

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

I've been wanting a bigger amp for some time now but just couldn't find something I liked. I was interested in a Mesa Mark IV 40th Anniversary amp but just didn't have the money for it at the time. Stu got a Mesa Mark V combo with a Bubinga cabinet and a cane grill into the shop at Fatsound Guitars. That one caught my eye so I went into the shop to try it out and brought it home. So far, I am liking everything about it but the weight. This damn thing is heavy! The tricky part is trying to dial in a really good tone at a reasonable volume level. I'm thinking of taking it out to our first gig of the year this Friday.

Here's the picture from the Fatsound website: Image

RickT

Re: Mesa Mark V in the house

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Thats a beautiful looking amp Rick. I have major Mesa GAS after hearing one (a Lonestar) on Tuesday - what a sound!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Yep, great looking amp Rick. You can't beat that one around. Better get a road case!-- Darwin

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey Rick,

You hit the jackpot dude! :banana: I am a Mesa fan/owner (not Mark V) and Randall Smith hit a grand slam with the Mark V.

Play with it and let us know how you like it on various settings. The 10W setting should be dialable for home use and gigs well, just say BOOGIE!

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

That is cool, if it sounds as good as it looks you have winner for sure! I, too, will be very interested to hear how you get along with it. Especially how the low power setting works out.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

Very cool amp!! All the great amps are heavy!! Like Darwin said - Better get a case for it. 8-)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:57 pm

i hope you like it, i had not much success with mesa amps, owned quite a few, but so far the only one i have like is the trans atlantic 30 clean channel cranked. all the rest have left me feeling lacking.
Last edited by louis cyfer on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 am

I'm in the mesa club too, I own a little F30, quite simple amp as compared to a Mark V, but I love his weight, no non-sense approach, and the sounds !!!
I'm converted.. Though I'd love to own a lonestar for sure !
Last edited by supereiv on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 am

I've heard lots of good things about the Mark V, and that one in particular is georgeous! However, I resound with you on the tone/volume issue. I had an F50 for a few years, but could never sort that particular issue out...anyway, here's hoping you CAN sort it out and make it work for you!!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:03 pm

I took Big Bertha out last night for her first date. I worked all week on getting some decent tones on some lower volumes with pretty good success. However, things at the gig were a bit louder that one I had set the amp for. But, it just needed a bit of tweaking on the preamp and master volumes to get it balanced out. Still, I didn't want to push it too far out front. I used the 45-watt setting for all the channels. The clean channel got the most play as it worked real well with the pedal board. Channel 2 got a lot of air play, but I used the the third channel rather sparingly, mostly because the first two channels were working so well.

Here's a link to our version of the Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". I do the intro and the second solo using my Gretsch Powerject through the Mesa.
https://files.me.com/tightsqueeze/jrld1u.wav

RickT

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 pm

RickT wrote:I took Big Bertha out last night for her first date. I worked all week on getting some decent tones on some lower volumes with pretty good success. However, things at the gig were a bit louder that one I had set the amp for. But, it just needed a bit of tweaking on the preamp and master volumes to get it balanced out. Still, I didn't want to push it too far out front. I used the 45-watt setting for all the channels. The clean channel got the most play as it worked real well with the pedal board. Channel 2 got a lot of air play, but I used the the third channel rather sparingly, mostly because the first two channels were working so well.

Here's a link to our version of the Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". I do the intro and the second solo using my Gretsch Powerject through the Mesa.
https://files.me.com/tightsqueeze/jrld1u.wav

RickT

Excellent!! Both you and the new amp sound great! 8-)

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Rick, very nice amp there, like the case.

They are fantastic buggers, not sure what level of volume you are looking at but there is a bit of a sweet spot where the tones start to get good, it is also the cusp of 'acceptable' bedroom practice levels, and just below the 'I better wear hearing protection to decrease aural fatigue'. You do indeed need to do a slight tweak between overall master and channel master at lower volumes. Ch 1 is the money maker in my mind, where I spend most of my time, Ch 2 has some very great and diverse voices, I have found use for all of them ,but my favourite is crunch. Ch 3 has its uses, no doubt, and it is very dynamic with the gain at less than 1 o clock on the Mark modes, cleans up with pick dynamics (or a volume knob, if that is your thing, I just pick lighter) very well even with 'high gain' settings. More than 1 o clock and I find I can't quite get all the way to clean with dynamics, but damned close.

It is a tweaker and takes some practice to get the most out of it, learning how the EQ interacts is the biggest hurdle.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:51 pm

That is a particularly gorgeous Mark V--so jealous!! LOL! I think Sirmy is right about the sweet spot. My Mark IIIs (a head and two combos) and my Mark IV (combo) definitely have a sweet spot for volume. The big Mark III 200-watt Coliseum head amd 412 really likes to have the MV above 2.75--and if it is about 3.25--better run for cover and save the wimmen and children first! The Mark IV is a little more flexible at low volume than the IIIs because of the added multiple power amp options--the Tweed Power, Class A or Simul-Class, Mid-Gain or Harmonics, and the Pull Presence all affect the power amp output and feel. I also have a 35 watt DC-3 112 combo, and a 30 watt Class A Maverick 212 when I want a bit less power.

These days I can't imagine playing on anything but a Mesa. I've been using a Mesa since about 1994--and I am just over-the-moon happy with mine. I've been thinking I want to add another Mesa amp or ten to my collection. The Mark V, Stiletto Ace, Royal Atlantic, LoneStar and LoneStar Special are all in the running; and I wouldn't mind getting a Heartbreaker and a Trem-o-verb too! But your Mark V....WOW!

Enjoy that beast!

Bill

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Boogie, I have been avoided trying a royal atlantic, in fear it will be different enough to come home with me. It has some great soak options on it for power levels too, and if more 'british' voiced I could definitely find a spot for it, not that I need it in the least beside the V

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a 90's MKIV imbuya/wicker (B) & love it to bits.its defineatly a tweakers amp though & a road case if you're grinding as Darwin said is non negotiable IMO.especially a vintage finish.once I seen this model the GAS monster reared It's head & I seriously mused over lifting it & upgrading.however I read mixed reports over what was the better on a few forums I scoured? I just expected it would be a lay down mossaire!
Maybe there was some sour grapes amid the MK IV purists,conversely though some seemed to really know their onions.has anyone here A/B'ed both the MK IV & MK V side by side & what is your take if so?
thanks in advance..

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 am

The Black Page wrote:...has anyone here A/B'ed both the MK IV & MK V side by side & what is your take if so?
thanks in advance..

I'm not really a Mesa guy, but I bought the Mark V as I wanted a "big" amp for our larger venues but something that was useable in the smaller clubs as well. I've been playing around with the 10-watt setting this morning and it has a impressive array of sounds even at 10-watts! In the end, what does it matter when you A/B the two amps. If you like the sounds you are getting with what you have, it doesn't really matter what the other sounds like does it? Besides, its all subjective anyway. I feel the people that like the IV will always pick that over anything else and vice-versa for the V.

RickT

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 am

Rick, there are some advantages to each design. The Mark V has the voicing switches for the preamps, while the IV has more variations to the power amp that really change the feel of the amp. I think the V might be better for live performance, and I might give the edge to the IV in the studio. The big deal to the V though is that you have more control over the R2 middle channel. I use my LEAD channel for solos with my Legacys, and solo with my Les Pauls using the R2...the gain difference compensating for each style of pickup.

Not sure I would give up all of my other Mesas for the Mark V, but I do have three Mark IIIs at the moment and I am thinking one of them might make a good down payment on a V! LOL!!

Bill

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 am

after having played most of those boogies, i just got my two rock crs v3, and the difference is staggering. while it is not as pretty as the mark 5 above, it is lighter, about the same size, and the most beautiful guitar tones i have yet to hear from an amp. i am blown away.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am

Another Mesa fan/user here. That amp is very nice looking. I'd be afraid to take it to some of the clubs I play.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:Another Mesa fan/user here. That amp is very nice looking. I'd be afraid to take it to some of the clubs I play.

It's built like a tank. The only thing to fear is the weight of this beast.

RickT

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

RickT wrote:
MJ Slaughter wrote:Another Mesa fan/user here. That amp is very nice looking. I'd be afraid to take it to some of the clubs I play.

RickT

They are built Tonka tough. That's one reason I like gigging with them. What I meant was the cabinet is so nice I'd hate to scratch it. Needs an amp condom for club gigs so it doesn't come home with cooties. Very versatile amp. Enjoy.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:
RickT wrote:

RickT

They are built Tonka tough. That's one reason I like gigging with them. What I meant was the cabinet is so nice I'd hate to scratch it. Needs an amp condom for club gigs so it doesn't come home with cooties. Very versatile amp. Enjoy.

that is one reason why i went with the plain black tolex on my two rock, instead of the fancy version of the cab.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:
RickT wrote:

RickT

I bought it to gig with. I did buy a nice Studio Slips cover for it. I went with the double quilted padding and pocket on the front for the footswitch cable. I also paid the extra money for the caster holes. The cover is extremely nice. I even bought one for my TopHat. It is a gorgeous amp but I did buy it to gig with. Ironically, I purchased it because I wanted a bigger amp for outdoor venues. But, it is probably one of the best sounding 10-watt amps on the market. I've been working with it this week for a gig this Saturday. The club books full bands but they want the volume at acoustic, i.e. unplugged, sound levels. Even the Swart can't meet that. I've dialed in the three channels for some nice low-volume tones so I'll see how it works.

RickT

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 am

Great amp Rick!
Hardwood and wicker cane grille has always been my favorite finish for a Boogie.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:32 pm

RickT wrote:
MJ Slaughter wrote:
RickT wrote:

RickT

I bought it to gig with. I did buy a nice Studio Slips cover for it. I went with the double quilted padding and pocket on the front for the footswitch cable. I also paid the extra money for the caster holes. The cover is extremely nice. I even bought one for my TopHat. It is a gorgeous amp but I did buy it to gig with. Ironically, I purchased it because I wanted a bigger amp for outdoor venues. But, it is probably one of the best sounding 10-watt amps on the market. I've been working with it this week for a gig this Saturday. The club books full bands but they want the volume at acoustic, i.e. unplugged, sound levels. Even the Swart can't meet that. I've dialed in the three channels for some nice low-volume tones so I'll see how it works.

RickT

i am in the process of ordering the studio slips for my two rock. the measurements they had on file were wrong, so i am sending those in. i am getting the fron pocket as well. have you had any issues?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:10 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i am in the process of ordering the studio slips for my two rock. the measurements they had on file were wrong, so i am sending those in. i am getting the fron pocket as well. have you had any issues?

No issues at all. I'm quite happy with the quality and design of their product. I've got a padded Tuki cover for my Swart and the other guitar player in the band has one for his Maz 18. I think the Studio Slips are better made. Turn around time was relatively quick considering they are made to order.

RickT

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Just in case you're still interested in exploring Mark V tweaks, Rick, I will link you to my Mark V playlist on YouTube—the bulk of which is the eight part series Haggerty's Music published. When it looked like I would be starting a guitar company to bring my inventions to market, I was planning to use a Mark V as my testbed amp.

I just hope America comes to its senses quite rapidly after March 16th: the America Invents Act's flaws have certainly prevented this American from making use of his inventions.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Robstafarian wrote:Just in case you're still interested in exploring Mark V tweaks, Rick, I will link you to my Mark V playlist on YouTube—the bulk of which is the eight part series Haggerty's Music published. When it looked like I would be starting a guitar company to bring my inventions to market, I was planning to use a Mark V as my testbed amp.

I just hope America comes to its senses quite rapidly after March 16th: the America Invents Act's flaws have certainly prevented this American from making use of his inventions.

i watched those mark V vids, and it basically highlights why i don't like boogies. of course going with prs doesn't do it any favors. it is versatile, and sounds ok in most things, but doesn't sound great on anything. somehow there is something missing in all the modes.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Another post on my Mesa Boogie Mark V combo. A couple of months ago I decided to change out the 6L6 tubes in the Boogie with a set of Tung Sol EL34s. That change took out a lot of the boominess in the Mesa which I liked. The ultimate goal was to get a useable tone from each of the 3 channels at a volume that would be suitable for the smallish venues that typically book us. It has taken me a couple of months of tweaking but I finally got some very good sounds at the amp at the sound levels I wanted.

I took the amp out to our gig this past Saturday and it sounded great and I am very pleased with the sound from the amp. I do like a simple amp and the Mesa's are anything but simple. However, after reading the manual several times and reviewing the posts on this forum and the internet, I was able to figure out how all the controls interact with each other. There are a lot of great tones in the amp, but, you really have to invest some time to figure out what works best for your guitars.

The most surprising thing to me was the 90-watt settings sounded much better at lower volumes than the 10-watt settings. And, I have the loop engaged and currently running a delay. The loop volume acts like an attenuator so you can control the stage volume using that. I'm also running a compressor, FX Engineering Mirage, on the front end which blends very nicely with the Mesa.

RickT

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am

Congrats on the V :banana:

Boogie user/fan here, too. I hear what everyone is saying with the volume. Would be nice to play comfortably at den/living room volume. I'm toying around with the idea of getting a V, or a IV. My Boogie Quad paired with the Simulclass 295s is very similar to the Mark V (specifically the IIC and III channels) but is way to heavy for practical gigging. My DC-5 gets great tone but is still a beast to carry around and not as versatile as a Mark.

Might have to avoid buying another G&L for a year...lol