Rory Gallagher

Mon May 23, 2011 7:43 pm

I had heard of Rory Gallagher before by name only, but nobody ever turned me on to his music in my 40 years. But after hearing him on the radio the other day (gotta love Sirius), I was immediately taken in by his hauntingly beautiful playing. What tone!!! Why the hell was this guy not a superstar the likes of EC? Anyway, here's a little clip for those of you who love of him and those of you who don't know him:

[youtube]RxiEMpcI83E[/youtube]

Re: Rory Gallagher

Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 pm

:thumbup: Thanks for the clip, never heard anything by him before, great stuff!

-Dave

Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Rory is awesome. He was (and still is) hugely popular throughout Europe. Check out the Montreaux DVD. There's a whole bunch of concerts from the '70s to the '90s.

One of my favourites:
[youtube]uezV4zn8tvI[/youtube]

Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 am

I wore out 3 copies of Irsh Tour and all the Taste records I had as well. Rory was amazing and while he might not be as well known as some others, he was a major talent, monster player and great song writer. As already mentioned, there are lots of vids on YT with the early ones being my favorite. Other "lesser knowns" you folks might be interested in:

Savoy Brown
Climax Blues Band (Peter Haycock)
Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green)
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (w/ Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Harvey Mandel)

Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 am

definately another call for Peter Green. :happy0065:

Best guitarist most have never heard of. He is still with us, and performing from time to time, but a shadow of his former self apparently.

Have a look on youtube for the BBC documentary on him called 'Man of the World: The Peter Green story". Its about 2-hours long (I've go it on my sat TV recorder). At his peak, probably better than EC at that time frame. Very pure blues, and perhaps limited because of that - but no one did it better.

There is a whole legend about his old Gibson / les Paul and the 'out of phase pick-up'. This was a mistake and not a choice originally...

Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Fleetwood Mac - Albatross

[youtube]6ombnqWR3eA[/youtube]

Tue May 24, 2011 12:44 pm

And a bit earlier version of Tattoo'd Lady

[youtube]QCNJlG44UPw[/youtube]