Fender Fuzz Wah

Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 pm

This isn't G&L related, though guess it could be if a person ran a G&L through it. A friend of mine has an old, probably early 70's Fender fuzz/wah/volume pedal that was given to him by an uncle several years ago. It is quite a contraption really, Strings on springs and all sorts of craziness. The foot pad moves like a typical wah pedal for the wah effect, volume you turn it side to side. He asked me I knew much about the pedal, I don't know much about it, so figured with the wealth of knowledgeable folks that frequent the good old G&LDP I would ask all those here what they may know about it. What were the original years of production on this pedal? I know in recent years there has been a reissue of it. Was this a design that can be linked to Leo era Fender, or was it something solely based in CBS era fender? How desirable is this pedal, and what is an approximate value of it? From the sounds of it my friend is getting ready to sell it in order to make room for other effect pedals that he will be more inclined to use. Basically at the moment it sits in his pedal bag and doesn't get used, believe he is starting to feel that it should find a home with someone that will genuinely appreciate this pedal and he would like to get as much info he can on it before listing it for sale. Perhaps, some may wonder why I ask this for him instead of him coming on and asking, well, He is kind of a Gibson SG guy ( Bleh ). Anyway, thanks to everyone in advance for any help that provided.

Re: Fender Fuzz Wah

Tue May 17, 2011 2:27 am

I do remember them. I have very fuzzy memories--pun intended (Hey, it was the Sixties!)--I think the wah was okay and the fuzz horrible. I have no idea what the value would be, though many vintage pedals are very highly esteemed. I owned two Fender Blender pedals from about the same era. One I bought new c. 1968-69, the other several years later. The first one was pretty good; the second one, not so good. Interestingly enough, both pedals were stolen from me in separate incidents. As I understand it, the Blenders are a high dollar item in the vintage market.

Like the Blender, the Fuzz-Wah would have been a post-Leo era item.

That's all I know. Good luck!

Bill

Re: Fender Fuzz Wah

Tue May 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Bill, thank you for the response. Nobody that I know, would fault you for fuzzy memories, Hopefully they are at least warm and fuzzy. OK, I know that was bad, I can be a bit cheesy from time to time. Your thoughts on the pedal are pretty much spot on with my friend's assessment as well. I must admit, I asked about he origins of design for my own curiosity. While somewhat clever, it does seem a bit Wile E. Coyote like.