New Will Ray Instructional DVD.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ray-Street-Surv ... 650wt_1135

Just purchased a copy. I've never been into instructional DVDs before but from the description, this looks like a good one. And I betting there are a fews G&Ls in it!

Re: New Will Ray Instructional DVD.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Very interesting. Please let us know what you think when it arrives. :thumbup:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 am

I'm keen to know too Pico. Will is a unique player and I'd like to hear his insight into those sorts of things. I'm thinking about getting his b-bender vid soon, I love the way he uses that thing.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:10 am

I'd be interested in how this is too. Most instructional DVDs are 'alright', in that they teach technique, but a lot glaze over the why and how so I can't always play where to use it, why it is useful, etc.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 am

So the DVD arrived this past weekend and I finished viewing it last night. I did not have a guitar in hand most of the time and just wanted to watch the whole thing first (almost two hours) and see what it all entails.

Background on me: Self taught, mostly from books and being a huge fan of music. Been playing on and off for about 15 years. Sill plenty to learn. I play guitar in a local pop rock band. I have a few Hellecaster albums. Perhaps needless to say, the musicianship on them is outstanding but it's not the kind of music that I would regularly listen to. While I do sometimes play melodic, lead stuff in my band, I generally don't have many measures to really step out front (not my thing anyway). I first learned of Will on the old GbL forum and have enjoyed his (like others) advice and tips on G&L pups and playing in general. I picked up this DVD because I strive to understand the fretboard better and from the description, it sounded like it would really speak to me.

Will works off a variation of the CAGED system-something that I've read about but never understood the practical values of. He starts on the E shape, which actually makes a lot of sense, since it is, like Will says, one of the first chord shapes we learn. Lots of practical tips and advice. He breaks down a lot of licks, explains how they work and encourages you to do your own thing. Just from watching it once, I've already started thinking differently about my approach to soloing and getting around the fretboard (which to me, is alone worth the price of the DVD). I will probably watch it a dozen more times over the years-there is lot of information that I won't be able to absorb over night (I have become more patient as I have gotten older) Again, this is my first instructional DVD so I can't compare it to others. It's not flashy and maybe not for someone picking up a guitar for the first time but it's perfect for a guy like me. Thanks Will! :thumbup:

Also, while I have always dug them, after seeing all the closeups of his guitar neck, I REALLY want one of his signature guitars, just so I can have those cool skull inlays. Very cool. :evilgrin:

Paul