NAD - Supro Dual Tone

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 pm

This came as a bit of a surprise. I was in my favourite shop not looking for anything in particular, and they had a few of these scattered throughout the place. I've never taken much notice of them in the past, but I had a closer look at the control layout I became very interested. I had a go on one and it was love straight away.

These new Supro amps are made in the USA, and designed by Bruce Zinky who worked for Fender at some point and who runs his own brand, Zinky (famously the maker of those Smokey amps in the cigarette packets). This model seems to be a rehoused Zinky Blue Velvet.

25 Watts of EL-84 tone with onboard tube driven spring reverb. It's more American voiced than British. On the spec it's not something I'd go for as I generally don't like channel switching amps with a master volume - I find them too finicky with too many controls and switches and the foot switches are something else you need to carry around and find room for on stage. This one is more straight-forward with just a volume, single tone and a mid cut/boost toggle for each channel. There still a crappy footswitch though... The clean channel has quenched my thirst for a Princeton, it's beautiful. The OD is great for alt-country at around 9 o'clock and from there goes all the way to singing sustaining lushness. It's certainly not vintage voiced, despite its looks. It's thoroughly modern.

I got it for a very good price, just over half the ticketed price, as it was a floor demo model and I'm a repeat customer at this place. The dilemma it has created is that to pay for it (sometimes I wish the bank never gave me a credit card!) I have to sell some of my other gear :( It's about time I did some streamlining anyway :crazy:

Re: NAD - Supro Dual Tone

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 pm

I see you've been to 555 Music again Jamie :D .

My wife and my wallet won't let me near the place. Every room has something that screams 'Buy Me Now' until you're left confused and hyperventilating and wondering if you can sell the kids on E-Bay. And shock/horror, the shop dudes are really nice. If only they sold G&L too.

That's a seriously good looking amp and the perfect partner for your laminex table and vinyl chairs :thumbup:

How're you going to sneak a Special home now?

Re: NAD - Supro Dual Tone

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Yep, that place is a trap! They have what must be the full range of 65 amps, Swart, Trussart guitars.... there's even a G&L in there, an SC-3 of all things, at the moment - and it's red :shock: It needs a re-fret though. I'll get that Special one day, I want to make it my 'finishing uni forever' present to myself, and get one with all the trimmings.