Since Y'all asked...my Soloway Gosling

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Here is the 411 on Jim Soloway and his guitars. Jim is a solo fingerstyle jazz player. Not happy with typical big box
jazz guitars and semi-hollows he decided to make three guitars. One to keep and two to sell.
One of the keys to the big tone he was able to get was the 27" scale tuned to A-440 rather than baritone.
Long story short his three guitars turned into a business. 200+ guitars later he still has his long scale guitars
available but also has 25-1/2" scale instruments and a 24-3/4" model under development.
Apologies to Jim if I messed the details up.
Probably better if you just read his story here:
http://www.jimsoloway.com/

I had the opportunity to trade for this guitar and I am very pleased with the trade.
It has a pretty amazing sound for jazz but the Dimarzio PAF Anniversary pickup at the bridge sounds great for rock
not to mention the in-between tones.
What I am most pleased to report is the uncommon, nay unheard of businessman Jim is.
When I got this guitar I knew I wanted to keep it but was having a hard time getting it set up to
my super low action this arthritis nonsense requires.
An E-mail, led to a phone call which led to me sending the guitar to Portland. (thankfully just a couple days away).
After quizzing me about my preferences he decides to replace the neck.
I told him I was not the original owner and could probably not afford the non-warranty neck replacement.
He said "you are not dealing with corporate America here. I take care of my guitars. Your only cost will be ship it to my shop.
Long story short I had the guitar back in a week with a new CocoBolo over maple neck. Stainless steel frets too.

My wife who is sick of my guitar addiction said it best..."well, that's it...you HAVE to buy a new guitar from him!"
I need to save my pennies but I really would love to have him build one for me. We'll see.
This is my first non-production boutique kind of guitar. I now see the attraction especially when you get to deal
with a fine guy like Jim Soloway.

Re: Since Y'all asked...my Soloway Gosling

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice story for a great guitar! :!:

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Jim's guitars are beautifully crafted and have a sound unlike any other guitar I've played. Many guys I've talked with are wary of the long scale but I didn't find it an issue at all and what you gain in tone easily makes up for any adjustment needed on the part of the player. Haven't tried any of his shorter scale guitars yet but I can't imagine they'd be any less than stellar. Btw, that's an amazing finish on your Gosling and I like the mix of hummer and mini-hum. This guy is definitely a class act.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Wow...you gotta respect a businessman like that! I'm sure that's a killer axe, jazzrat! Sounds like another good candidate for the permanent collection!!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Jazzrat, good to see you back and was not able to post until tonight. You have some beautiful guitars and this Soloway is no exception. This sounds like an interesting guitar and is stunning in beauty. Thanks for sharing-- Darwin