A funny thing happened on the way to practice today....

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 am

well, actually, during practice.

As part of my practice regime I jam over backing tracks (as I am sure many of you do). I now use a Boss E-band and upload the tracks I like to it. I tend to play anything I want over the backing track once I have found the key / scale that is appropriate.

Yesterday I was playing over Guns n Roses "sweet child o mine". I did the intro as per the record, the power chords, etc, I know the first three short solos fine. But when it comes to the final two fast solos, I dont know these so I simply freestyle it out of the Em pentatonic / blues scale and do my own thing - not trying to be like the record. In the middle of practice, I just played (as if from nowhere) an amazing (for me - a newbie) run of notes or lick and at a speed I had always felt was unattainable!

It came from nowhere and was a run from the high e-string all the way down to the low e-string and swapping between positions really quickly and note perfect. Firstly, I was so stunned I stopped playing - it did not 'feel' like me. Secondly, I tried immediately to remember what the hell I did, so i could repeat it - i could not. Rather like an alien abduction experience - i cannot prove any of this to you :D

However, do you often find in practice - 'things' just happen that surprise you and sometimes you simply cannot remember what the hell you just did - but it sounded ace....

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to practice today....

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:50 am

Great to hear, Doctorb. I love those little moments where your mind is focused on nothing else apart from the music you're playing. Once your ear gets good you'll be able to play those things again. In the meantime try recording what you play then sit down and work out the licks you really like - you should be able to do this by using whatever knowledge that enabled you to play that lick in the first place.

I've found that as I've progressed as a player that less and less 'falls out' of the guitar, and more of it becomes premeditated. I know what the notes I play will sound like, if I play the right one :whome: . I'm not claiming to be the worlds greatest guitar player or musician, not by a looooooong shot, but I know (roughly....) what I'm doing.

The fact that you're getting excited by the music you're playing is a great thing, and a sure sign that you will progress into a fine player - keep at it! :thumbup:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:36 pm

There are no wrong notes Blarg, just more interesting choices :happy0007: . I agree, even improvising isn't random chance when you get there. You know what is what.

The reason you were able to play faster is likely that your were relaxed. You can always play that bit faster when you are fully loose and open.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:09 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Great to hear, Doctorb. I love those little moments where your mind is focused on nothing else apart from the music you're playing. Once your ear gets good you'll be able to play those things again. In the meantime try recording what you play then sit down and work out the licks you really like - you should be able to do this by using whatever knowledge that enabled you to play that lick in the first place.

I've found that as I've progressed as a player that less and less 'falls out' of the guitar, and more of it becomes premeditated. I know what the notes I play will sound like, if I play the right one :whome: . I'm not claiming to be the worlds greatest guitar player or musician, not by a looooooong shot, but I know (roughly....) what I'm doing.

The fact that you're getting excited by the music you're playing is a great thing, and a sure sign that you will progress into a fine player - keep at it! :thumbup:

Thanks man - much appreciated :D I am getting excited now as i can see and feel improvement in my playing and its always nice when that happens - especially when you do not get the time to practice much.

I will keep at it - and I greatly appreciate the comments and support :thumbup:

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm

sirmyghin wrote:There are no wrong notes Blarg, just more interesting choices :happy0007: . I agree, even improvising isn't random chance when you get there. You know what is what.

The reason you were able to play faster is likely that your were relaxed. You can always play that bit faster when you are fully loose and open.

Good point and quite right my friend - i was relaxed at the time. Sometimes i obsess too much over making sure i use the right fingers and use the pinky when i should and I 'dont do a three-finger clapton' - this pre-occupation interferes with my connection to the playing. So something i try to concentrate more on the technique and other times more on the feel and being in the moment no matter how i get the notes played :shock:

I hope at some point these too aspects will become the same thing.