Strings? Which Brand & Gauge? Vendors?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:17 am

Stuck in a rut on buying strings for my Lectrics and acoustics.

Which Brand & Gauge strings do you like? Vendors?

Lectrics?

Acoustics?

Bass?

Other instruments?

TNX Jamie

~~~

Used to have a great local store years back that got my biz.

Recently have purchased from Just Strings for guitar and fiddle.

Also bought from a friend on another discussion board that changes string brands like socks.

Lectrics-
Have used Fender 150s, Dads XL110s, Gibby Vintage, Darcos
Prefer nickle wound for warmth.

Acoustic-
phosphor bronze Dads mediums
Think it's either PBs or Bronze.

Basses-
Like TI EBs, DR flats.
Have used Dads Chromes, TIJazz, and Roto Flats, but prefer the DR flats.

Other-
Dads Helicores for fiddle

Re: Strings? Which Brand & Gauge? Vendors?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am

I use EB coated strings on my electrics, I get my strings from "strings and beyond" . Their prices are astounding and they ship for free on orders over 35$, even to Canada.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:38 am

[quote][/quote]

Jamie:

Probably not much help but if you ever want to stray from, "warmth" and try something different for electric strings, I recommend DR Hi-Beams for tele style guitars. I use them on my ASAT for, "country twang" sounds. They are bright and tight. For classic rock and blues they aren't the best. Good luck trying to find them, they aren't popular so most stores do not carry them. Might have to order on-line.

Tom

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:18 pm

All around D'Addario man:

Mandolin: J-74
Acoustics: EJ-16, EJ-17, EJ-38 (12-string), EJ-45 (nylon)
Electrics: EXL-110, EXL-120, EXL-115, EXL-115W (wound G-string)
Bass: EXL-170-5

Vendors: same as yours, Jamie. Love my one stop place. Strings are not necessarily the cheapest but differences are only in the couple of cents range. And they have a large selection.

- Jos

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 pm

I've been using Ernie Ball slinky string for years. 10-46 on all my guitars. I get them from ebay from whoever is selling them cheapest.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 pm

"Premium" string freak here. I use Pyramid nickel rounds (.011 - .048) on my electrics and, for acoustics, Newtone phosphor bronze or 80/20s (.012 - .054 or .056) depending on the guitar. I also use Newtones on my octave mandolin and banjo, and Newtone "Michael Messer" (.013 - .056) strings on my National resonator. Been using both brands for years. I buy them in batches whenever my stock is running low from wherever I can get a decent bulk "deal."

And where's the King of Strings? You lurking, Deuce?

--GDub

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:20 am

Strings are a very personal choice. I think Tommy Emanuel said it is always good to change your stings to see how good they are. Your ear gets use to them and they start sounding dead (Even when new), put a different set on for the term and go back and you fall in love with the old strings all over again.

I have found SIT's to be good for me for the electrics (My brother put me onto these as these are the same brand he uses on his pedal steel)-
Tele's and ASAT I use SIT 9 - 46's (Good bottom end for country and light for bending)(S946)
Strat SIT 9 - 42's (S942)

For my acoustic instruments generally Martin's-
Acoustic Guitar I use Martin Acoustic SP 10-47 (MSP400)
Mandolin I use Martin 10-34 (M400)

I use Elderly music for my music needs as their postage to Australia is great (They arrive at my door at about 1/3 local prices)

Good luck with trying new strings.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:05 pm

For a vintage bluesy tone, try Curt Mangan Pure Nickel or DR Blues. I have had good experiences with both of these. Consistently high quality, great sound. The Curt Mangan nickel wound are also impressive if you can find them. Other than those, GHS Boomers are probably my go to string - affordable and very versatile.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:31 pm

I've been using D'Addarios all around for a while now. EXL-120s on my electrics, sometimes EXL-110s. On acoustic I use their Custom Light EJ-26.

I have been tempted to try some of the GHS Eric Johnson signature strings, but haven't yet.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:30 am

I was using Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (9-42) Just recently I bought a couple sets of pure nickle strings, DR Blues 10-46 (really wanted to try 11's in these but my local shop didn't have them) and a set of EB rock n' roll (pure nickle) 10-46. Haven't tried the EB set yet but I really like the DR Blues so far.

For acoustic I've been using Martin Marquis' for the last 13 or so years, they still sound great to me so I see no reason to change.

As for vendors I've never ordered strings on-line so I'm no help to you there

-Dave