One for all you 5E3 fans out there....

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

This week on the forum, I've noticed that there has been a bit of talk about the ol' 5E3 Tweed Deluxe amp. I recorded a demo for you guys thinking about getting one of these beauties using a variety of ASATs.

Here's a link to the file showing a couple of the sounds contained in them.

#The rhythm part is an ASAT Classic S, in the neck postition. The volume on the amp is set to around 3, tone at 7.
#The 'bass' line is played on an ASAT classic fitted with Don Mare pickups and a Glendale bridge/saddles.
#The first two rounds of lead are on the Classic S in the bridge position. Volume on the amp at 10, tone at 7
#3rd round is on the Classic with Don Mare 'Don-O-Caster' pickups (low output, '50s tele reproduction style pickups) in the bridge position. Volume on the amp at 10, tone at 7
#4th round is a Classic Bluesboy, neck pickup. Volume on the amp at 3, tone at 7
#5th round is a Classic Bluesboy, bridge pickup (an O.C. Duff Plankster, overwound vintage type tele pickup). Volume on the amp at 10, tone at 7

Signal chain is: Guitar - BBE Sonic Stomp - Amp. Nothing else. No compression or reverb were added to the sound, nor any EQ.

Recorded using a Shure SM58 (yes, its a vocal mic but it's my only one....) into a M-Audio interface, into my Mac, using Garage Band.

The speaker in the amp is a Weber 12A125A AlNiCo magnet thing, and its very nice.

Mine is a Paisley Deluxe

Re: One for all you 5E3 fans out there....

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 am

Yep.
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Cool beans.
Love that classic snarley crunch with hair.
Neat bends and spank too.

Gonna have to build me a Mission Amps kit. I think that's the cheapest way into the package for me.

I have played through a friend's Mission build extensively, and a Victoria (must be the most expensive, but real good). I won't try to deal with Torres anymore, but in the past his $8 Champ improvement pack has been fine.

Thanks for posting this. Nice! :happy0065:

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 am

Wow. I dig it. Thanks for posting.

Can't compete with Standard Guys description, so I'll just leave it at that!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Now that is a nice tone! I liked the pickin' on it too. Thanks for sharing.

RickT

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Real Nice Pickin' Not too many country fans on this site so it's cool that you posted the sound clip. :happy0065:

And Great job on PU comparisons. My favorite is the Dan-O-Caster. The Bluesboy neck sounds cool in this context as well. My least favorite is the Duff Plankster - too hot IMO. :BangBang:

What picking style do you normally use: flat pick, flat pick hybrid, thumb pick, finger picking etc?

My goodness, how many ASAT's do you own? I'm considering picking up a second. It looks like you own at least 4. :o

Keep up the good work.

Tom

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 am

I appreciate the responses guys, thanks :thumbup:

Tom - I have three ASATs, all classics. The Plankster is definitely hotter than the others, perhaps a bit too hot. I'll be putting the stock pickup back in the Bluesboy once I get hold of a new soldering iron. The Don Mare pickups are very nice indeed, they have a nice, sweet tone.

I'm a hybrid picker - flat pick and my middle and ring fingers, and I play the banjo which helps me a lot in that regard.

And do yourself a favor and get a second ASAT. They way I look at it is that they're like shoes - it's good to have more than one.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Jamie that was excellent! great tone, all nice sounding pups but it's a toss up for me between the Don-o-caster's and the seth lover on your Blues boy as my favorite. This really sealed the deal for me though, now I need to build one of these :lol:

-Dave