Need amp advice

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm looking for a 1/2 stack as a gift for my nephew, Gotta have that "modern sound", He's playing an old Peavey classic 30 w/ 2x12s, "doesn't like them old tube amps" oh well he'll smarten up some day, he's only 17. I was looking at some cheapo 100 watt Kustom (solid state of course) at around four bills and it looked pretty suckey! Do you know of anything in the 5 to 600 range that you may have tried out that would fit the bill?

gary

Re: Need amp advice

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Gary.

You might want to check out the Peavey 'transtube' series. The other guitarist in my band uses a 15W one and it sounds fantastic. I don't know if they're still in production, but they have a good modern sound and you'll get one used for next to nothing. One of them and a good OD/distortion pedal should keep him happy until his tastes change. The new Peavey 'Windsor' seems popular with young metal heads.

Be sure to grab that Classic 30 off of him, I'm sure he'll want it back one day. That'd be a neat present in a few years time :)

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Gary, in that price range or a bit less I would look at some Vox models with tube preamps. Also the young gents seem to like Line 6 amps as they do a lot for the money. Line 6 does modeling and with a foot controller, they are pretty slick. The solid state amps are light and pretty bullet proof, kinda like we were when we were young.-Darwin

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Line 6 foot controllers are not included with amps though from what I gather.

Kustom amps are absolute garbage.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:47 pm

A couple years ago I bought a Crate VTX65 for about $300. Has all the effects built in, sounds ok, but built pretty poorly. It'd save you some dough though. Tell your nephew I wish I had an uncle like you! Haha. I miss my Peavey Classic 50 (4 x 10) I sold to help fund my wife's engagement ring when I was in school! I'm itching to buy a Peavey Delta Blues 210 to recover that tone...

good Luck, Duck!

fitz

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:27 am

westsideduck wrote:I'm looking for a 1/2 stack as a gift for my nephew, Gotta have that "modern sound"...

Not sure if this means effects or post-dual recto?

Marshall has the VM series ("Vintage-Modern"). Most people who want half-stacks are into them for visual image (a 1 X 12 Boogie can be very "modern" sounding).

I would think wanting a "half-stack" is another way of saying they want a "Marshall" half-stack. In most circles of guys who are after that sort of music: are also after the visual image that goes with it. :idea:

Edit:
Of course they're out of that price range...

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the Ideas guys, I went to guitar center today and they had a whopping total of two choices in my price range for a 1/2 stack! An Ibanez for 499 and a Marshall for 599, both 100 watters, I played both and they sounded pretty similar to me so I had one of the young guys there play some heavy metal type stuff through both while I screwed around with the settings and the Marshal just came alive, I thought it was pretty kick ass for the money so I brought it home.

Thanks again for your input

gary

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Another line you might wanna look at is the Vox Valvtronix. I had one for a while. It sounds pretty good. Has most voices & effects. It would fit the bill for most, but it doesnt quite do it as most know.

Craig

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

westsideduck wrote:...I screwed around with the settings and the Marshal just came alive, I thought it was pretty kick ass for the money so I brought it home.

Thanks again for your input

gary

Cool.
Glad it worked out and the price was in there for you.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:33 am

westside, I nominate you for uncle of the year! A half stack under the tree! :happy0065: