Yet another cabinet....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I put this one together last week. I've been finishing it off over the last 5 days, putting coat after coat after coat of polyurethane on it to keep it looking pretty for a long time. It's amazing what you can get done given a bit of spare time - I'm loving being on holiday and this thing matches my mood!

I managed to defy the laws of physics with this one. I measured up the offset for the baffle bracing, expecting to leave 2cm between the face of the grille and the edge of the cabinet but somehow it's taken up all the room....

Speaks for itself really - either you'll love it or hate it. Its a 115, with a Weber Neo 15 that I picked up at a third of its value from a guy who didn't like it. I did a little reading into cabinet design and decided to make it closed back with a couple of ports at the front. I haven't fired it up yet - my soldering iron refused to heat up today :x I'll have to borrow my old mans because I really want to use it at my gigs on the weekend.

Re: Yet another cabinet....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I hope the sun won't bleach out those beautiful colors. Can you add UV protection to poly?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:18 pm

standards guy wrote:I hope the sun won't bleach out those beautiful colors. Can you add UV protection to poly?

:D

Maybe I should start taking a beach umbrella to gigs, that'd really set the scene!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:15 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:

Maybe I should start taking a beach umbrella to gigs, that'd really set the scene!

...and a shirt to match your new cab couldn't hurt.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:16 am

Hell, just looking at the thing makes we want to drink something tropical, with lots of rum in it...

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:17 am

desertrat07 wrote:Hell, just looking at the thing makes we want to drink something tropical, with lots of rum in it...

Me too.....could be a boozy weekend gigging!

Hopefully everyone else will think that. A bar full of people buying rum cocktails at $15 a pop is the exactly the sort of thing that pub/club bookers love to see and gets a band invited back. :banana:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:19 am

In Australia, do you guys ever get a percentage of the bar's profit once past a certain point?

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:26 pm

standards guy wrote:In Australia, do you guys ever get a percentage of the bar's profit once past a certain point?

That's one way you can choose to be paid. I suppose it's similar to the USA, some places offer you a percentage of bar sales, some work a door deal and others pay you a fee. The set fee is by far the best deal, they usually throw in dinner and a few drinks too. It would be nice to ask for a percentage of profits too, but it's fairly unlikely to happen!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:36 am

Very cool! Don't know if Jimmy Buffet ever comes down under, but if he does and happens to see that, he might try to take it off your hands! :mrgreen:

I had the opposite problem with the grille on my 2x12...made the grille to fit it with no tolex because I thought I'd stain it...then when I decided to tolex it, I had to take a chisel and chisel out a couple layers of ply from the edge of the cabinet so the grille would still fit. But it all worked out in the end! :thumbup:

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Muleya wrote:Very cool! Don't know if Jimmy Buffet ever comes down under, but if he does and happens to see that, he might try to take it off your hands! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

I've never heard of JB coming down here, though he has PLENTY of fans.I have a pair of Adidas 'Jimmy Buffet' shoes. Seriously. They have a parrot and some palm trees on them.

Muleya wrote:I had the opposite problem with the grille on my 2x12...made the grille to fit it with no tolex because I thought I'd stain it...then when I decided to tolex it, I had to take a chisel and chisel out a couple layers of ply from the edge of the cabinet so the grille would still fit. But it all worked out in the end! :thumbup:

Been there, done that! Had to remove the grille cloth from one of mine (which I had on perfectly straight) so I could plane the edges back in order to fit it in. Grrrrr!

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 am

Nice job Jamie! You're really churning out those cabinets lately, I could really use a holiday(vacation) winter/Christmas has left me no free time.
Spent the weekend stacking firewood and cleaning gutters because it was above freezing, that window has passed, had a brisk 17 degree (-8c) walk into work this morning. The other night my wife had me moving the furniture in the living room to make more room for the Christmas tree, got done moving everything and she says "I hate it move it back to the way it was" :crazy: I actually won that one and we left it in the new configuration.

Anyway, barely have had time to keep up on the forum here never mind finish projects. I did test fit the baffle only to find it's a little off and will need to be planed.

Bummer about your soldering iron, when you get everything up and running be sure to let us know how it sounds!

-Dave

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks Dave.

I'm so glad that we don't get temperatures that low here. I experienced that sort of weather when I lived in Germany, I had to ride my push bike to the shops to buy food in -10C. <censored word> that.

I still have to get a soldering iron, maybe I'll do that today...

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:17 am

I finally got hold of a soldering iron and have wired up the cab. There is a lot more bottom end than I expected, its got a HUGE sound. Very good fun. The top end in this speaker is very round and soft. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Glad to hear it's up and running, I really got to find time to finish mine, especially since I've been lugging the bottom half of an organ around to practice :lol:

-Dave

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Cab is up and running! :banana:

Haven't had a chance to do the covering yet but I've got all the materials just a matter of finding the time, I'll get some pics up later today.
Pics to follow :mrgreen:

-Dave

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Awesome Dave - I want to know how you like the 15" speaker. I'm totally in love with mine, it's got me on the lookout for more of them!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Awesome Dave - I want to know how you like the 15" speaker. I'm totally in love with mine, it's got me on the lookout for more of them!

So far it sounds great, this is actually my first AlNiCo speaker cab, always had ceramic, I'm really enjoying the tone but have only played it at bedroom levels so far. I'm hoping to find time this week to get together with some friends and really give it a good test.

Pics as promised :mrgreen:

-Dave

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Good job Dave, looks like a very neat build. What style music do you play in your band?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 am

Good job Dave, looks like a very neat build. What style music do you play in your band?

Thanks Jamie, it looks better in the pics than in person, as long as I do a decent job covering it no one will see the mistakes :lol:

My band is a bit disjointed at the moment, we had a good thing going, gigging at local bars/clubs playing rock/classic rock covers and a few of our own songs then our drummer and vocalist decided to "date" and that was the end of that. We still play occasionally though (minus the vocals). Getting together Friday actually, so I'll get to give the new setup a proper run through.

To answer your question though we play(ed) mostly rock/classic rock (Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Cream, the Police, etc.) The material I write is more bluesy but there's other influences mixed in there too. I've gotten into bluegrass and country lately, wouldn't mind finding some guys to practice with.

-Dave

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Dave_P wrote:.....our drummer and vocalist decided to "date" and that was the end of that.

You gotta hate it when something like that breaks a band up. I hope you guys can continue to play, it's a lot of work getting new people into a band. Country and bluegrass is fun to play - and there are plenty of people out there playing it, you just have to find them. Good luck with it all.