Need Uke Advice

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 am

I'm considering getting my wife a Uke for Xmas. I'm looking for advice on purchasing a decent quality "starter" instrument. I'm also seeking advice on books, dvd's or other resources that would be good to help her learn how to play. Thanks! - ed

Re: Need Uke Advice

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 am

A "starter"? Well, I like the Ovation Deluxe Soprano or the aNueNue Koa III Tenor. However, Lanikai make several lower-priced models.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

If your wife is anything like my girlfriend then she wont care about how it sounds, just how pretty it is :roll:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:59 am

Ahhww I thought we had discussed the uke thing a while back on that other G&L enthusiast forum! Can't talk her into a mando? :-)

'cause its you, I had a word to my uke playing mate Tony. Not sure what sort of price range you have in mind but he suggested that a uke in the $150 price range would be a good price point for reasonable quality starter instrument that won't frustrate a beginner with issues like high action or not staying in tune. You might get away for less than that tho given that you are in the USA rather than AUS. He suggested Kala as a reasonably safe buy. Oh, and he suggested that unless she has really small hands, a Tenor is probably the best size for a beginner.

As for books/DVDs he recommended anything by Jim Beloff. Other stuff he suggested were good quality strings (Aquila) and maybe a clip on tuner as ukes don't hold their tuning as well as guitars.

cheers, Robbie

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 am

Perfect (Perth-ic?) Robbie. Thanks so much. - ed