Red, White and Blue

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

There are some ASATs on this board that are the Buck Owens RW&B. HLG has one. I looked at it in his avitar but cannot tell if it is a solid or a metalflake color. I am looking for input as this will be one of my projects next spring. I recently saw a MIJ Tele in that format but it was large metalflake. I believe the Buck Owens was a solid color and he had it on an early Fender Concert Acoustic. I have that same style acoustic, a 63 Concert with Indian Rosewood neck. I don't think that I will paint that, although the value of these models is not very high. My candidate is an American Deluxe Strat (2006) that is currently Transparent Amber on alder. The wood grains on the Fenders suck. So, what do you think? Solid ,Mini Flake or Large Flake like a bass boat, or use a pearl in a silver base coat with transparent colors as top coat before the final clearcoat? My mind is way ahead of my body but I am pumped up for these projects. What do you think? If I knew how to do a poll I would do that. :confused0007: Darwin

Re: Red, White and Blue

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

I think the Buck Owens ASAT has a sparkle finish, though I could be wrong. I've seen a picture of a guitar that may or may not have been the BO model - I can't remember if it was here or over at TDPRI - but it was definitely sparkle. Hopefully HLG will chime in. Either way I think you should do a sparkle one. Probably mini flake on such a colorful guitar. Tinted clear coats would be a nightmare on a guitar with that color scheme!

Are you really going to strip the finish off of the Am. Deluxe Strat? That's a lot of dusty, hard work. I suppose you wont have to buy anything aside from the finishing materials. The guy I bought my t-style body from is selling solid bodies for $92, I couldn't go past that price. Just thought I'd mention that before you start sanding that guitar....if you're interested I'll send you his email address.

As an aside, my dad has an Am. Deluxe Strat from about the same year as yours and it is a fantastic guitar, as good as my G&L's. It's the best Strat I've ever played.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Blarg, I will probably strip the body. I have done them before and it is work. I may do a miniflake but you have to buy Red, White & Blue miniflakes. Last time I bought flake it was about $35 a bottle and that was 10 years ago. But it doesn't matter, I will be doing it once. I do want to find out what they should be. I may also do a clear body binding but I could do a base coat of white and use the white as the body binding. I really like custom painting but it takes time and a perfect job is hard to achieve. I could never understand why it was such a crime to repaint a guitar. Would you want a 56 relic Chevy convertible? The American Deluxe Strats are great guitars. I have sold some of them but still have four, two of them are HSS. They both have the LSR nuts with no string tree. Thanks---Darwin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I thinkim I can see some mini-flake in the red in this pic, and I'm betting it's probably under all three but hard to see:

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

darwinohm wrote:There are some ASATs on this board that are the Buck Owens RW&B. HLG has one. I looked at it in his avitar but cannot tell if it is a solid or a metalflake color. I am looking for input as this will be one of my projects next spring. I recently saw a MIJ Tele in that format but it was large metalflake. I believe the Buck Owens was a solid color and he had it on an early Fender Concert Acoustic. I have that same style acoustic, a 63 Concert with Indian Rosewood neck. I don't think that I will paint that, although the value of these models is not very high. My candidate is an American Deluxe Strat (2006) that is currently Transparent Amber on alder. The wood grains on the Fenders suck. So, what do you think? Solid ,Mini Flake or Large Flake like a bass boat, or use a pearl in a silver base coat with transparent colors as top coat before the final clearcoat? My mind is way ahead of my body but I am pumped up for these projects. What do you think? If I knew how to do a poll I would do that. :confused0007: Darwin

I had added some pictures in the GbL Gallery of one of the two the factory built several months ago.
Here's one of those pictures:

Regarding setting up a Poll: see the FAQ. Look for the Posting Issues section.

Hope this helps.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks Craig, that is a beauty and is large silver flake. It will take a lot of top coat too cover but it sure is pretty. I will figure out how to do a poll. Thanks again---Darwin

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 pm

That sounds like a fun project. What a way to make a guitar 'yours'. And I have to say this, finishing a guitar (like a car) makes all kinds of sense. Especially, if you don't like the current finish that well. I don't get buying a new 'reliced' guitar. Of course, i don't even know how to spell relic-ed, and I like to buy pants with a very limited number of holes as well.

I think you should go with a subtle mini-flake, just to give a little depth below the clear. And very chunky period (Ie Buck period, not 2006) colors. Then find a flashy pick guard!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Sickbutnottired, what a handle! I agree with you on Relic. Why would I buy something beat up? I am also inclined to go with the MInI flake as you suggested. I have to decide if I want the flake in the base paint or as a first top coat. It is a different look but I have a lot of time to decide. I have a neat pearl pickguard which may do the job, but as we all know sometimes these projects are a moving target until completed. I have learned that it pays to be open minded up until the end. Ginny is very good with colors and on this one I won't have to hear "Its another Red"! It will be RW&B.-- Darwin

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:40 pm

To set the confusion straight, there is no flake in the paint on the Buck Owens Asat. My Avatar was taken with a less than professional quality camera so it's difficult to tell. I've been out of town and away from my photos but I'll see if I can round up some better pictures of the paint.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks HLG. I know that Bucks Concert Acoustic was also solid colors. Looking forward to the pics. Thanks again--- Darwin