Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm

I just finished watching the recently released DVD, "Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan, In Session." Filmed in Canada on December 6, 1983 live in studio with a tight backing band (Albert's band at the time). An hour and 27 minutes of pure bliss. Both video and audio quality are great, with almost 100% of the focus on Albert and Stevie playing their hearts out for each other. It just about left me speechless. Not only is the music smokin', but the respect these men had for each other is palpable, and the banter between them is priceless. Run, don't walk, to the store to grab this one if you have any interest in either of these legends.

-Adam
Last edited by desertrat07 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 pm

That sounds like a goooooooooooood film. I love Albert King. No-one has managed to look as cool as him with a Flying V, EVER. I'll have to try and find a copy of that one. I know :idea: I'll buy it for my dad for Xmas!

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Saw this on PBS the other night and agree with you on the music and respect. This could be a DVD I actually watch more than just after purchase. Man can they play. :alright:

Will look for another play on PBS again and make donation and get extra goodies as well.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 pm

sam wrote:Saw this on PBS the other night and agree with you on the music and respect. This could be a DVD I actually watch more than just after purchase. Man can they play. :alright:

I thought the same thing. With most music DVD's, you may get 2-3 watches out of them. But I swear, I almost restarted this thing as soon as it was over just to watch it again. I think it will also make a great practice vid, because you get really good views of all those nasty licks.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 am

I saw parts of this on PBS as well. I was impressed by both guitarists and facinated by Alvbert King. His hands are huge. You'd think he'd be clumbsy on the guitar but he is anything but. I love is picking style and I actually prefered his tone over Stevie's. This might just be my reaction to the hype that surrounds Stevie's "tone".

Albert's Flying V is the style with rectangular head stock and standard rectangular pickups. Is this the original style? I'm used to seeing the Vs with the V headstock and sometimes even V pickups.

Tom

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:43 am

I picked up the In Session CD a couple of years ago. I assume this is from the same recording? Wasn't aware there was a DVD. I'm overdue for a PBS donation so I'll have to keep an eye out for the re-broadcast and see if I can grab a DVD. I will say that SRV's Live at El Mocambo is one of the few music videos I have that gets multiple plays.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 pm

I have a CD that has quite a bit of the session on it; but I would love to hear the rest. And see it all! That version of matchbox is amazing! I love all of Albert's comments, as well. Classic!