So I upgraded my sustain block

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 pm

I went from the stock sustain block on a floyd, 110g, 7.86 g/cm^3 density (neglecting holes) to a tungsted block 197.4g, 13.34 gcm^3 density. You can see my install here if you want tips on how to do it, or set up a floyd.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-and-general-tech/136938-epic-pic-sustain-block-switch-floyd-setup-56k-be-emo-grass-and-cut-yourself.htmll

Looking at this as a dynamics problem a harder material, and more mass should both work to alter the natural frequency and prevent vibration transference. This is what we want overall, more energy left in the spring. I had to turn the bass down a fair bit on my clean channel, it is much bigger in bass presence. This causes the highs to be much rounder. Over all very pleasing, the guitar is less harsh than before, and risks being boomy even. Sustain improved incrementally, lasts about 2s longer overall. I am quite pleased with my choice, I was skeptical, until now that I have tried it (but believe in go big or go home experimenting).

Re: So I upgraded my sustain block

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:22 am

Its amazing how much difference a hunk of metal can make.
Was this expensive to do?
Where did you buy the upgraded block?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 pm

bassman wrote:Its amazing how much difference a hunk of metal can make.
Was this expensive to do?
Where did you buy the upgraded block?

I bought my block from prorockgear.com , the block was 110 USD. I do all my own work and swapped the block myself so that cost nothing, it is really easy to do. A large brass block can be had for 40 USD, but you may need to get routing done (I have no router) to get the same travel, so I opted for the expensive standard sized higher density block (that is also harder, which should effect the damping of the system).

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Sooo, a large/denser block ony effects the tremelo?

Craig

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:53 am

This block was same dimension as stock, just much harder and denser. I didn't lose an tremolo travel, and it feels the same.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:06 am

knotty wrote:Sooo, a large/denser block ony effects the tremelo?

Craig

It affects the sound too. Usually adds sustain and maybe some high frequency response.

Fender Strats went to a smaller diecast block for a while a few years ago, but still offered a "vintage" steel block on some models like the 57/62 reissues and Jimmie Vaughan models, etc. They've now gone back to a larger copper infused block for more density on the American series. It changes the sound.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:45 am

standards guy wrote:
knotty wrote:Sooo, a large/denser block ony effects the tremelo?

Craig

It affects the sound too. Usually adds sustain and maybe some high frequency response.

Fender Strats went to a smaller diecast block for a while a few years ago, but still offered a "vintage" steel block on some models like the 57/62 reissues and Jimmie Vaughan models, etc. They've now gone back to a larger copper infused block for more density on the American series. It changes the sound.

I figured he wanted the effects on the tremolo directly. The impact on sustain was minimal, might get an extra second with an unplugged note. My experience was not it increased high frequency but LOW frequency. This likely has to do with the difference in damping properties of the metals, opposed to mass. Mass and stiffness effect the nature frequency of the block, and help to keep it farther from resonance (or closer depending on the properties desired). The lack of damping is letting more of the low frequencies get through as they are not being killed off. I had to dial back the bass on my amp some. The unplugged volume improved slightly also, the distortion channels had to be turned down slighting, clean just bass rolled off a bit. It took the harshness out of the top end due to being more balanced (more bass -> closer to balanced, less brashness in the upper register). It took that anemic floyd characteristic away. A large brass block may do enough by altering the natural frequency with more mass, but stiffness and damping remain unchanged, and you lose some tremolo travel.

As far as allowing more high frequencies by changing a block, I find that unlikely from a perspective of physics, as the high frequencies will be much farther removed from the natural frequency of the tremolo system than the low frequencies, so they are less likely to lose energy exciting the system. Stock floyd rose blocks are nickel plating brass. This is a tungsten alloy, likely carbide. It does not possess the density to be pure tungsten (probably a good thing, Tungsten is far from an ideal material).

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm

sirmyghin wrote:...I figured he wanted the effects on the tremolo directly. The impact on sustain was minimal, might get an extra second with an unplugged note. My experience was not it increased high frequency but LOW frequency...

"D'oH!"

I totally missed we are talking about a Floyd. But you are right anyway.

Ok, I'll just retreat again to my doddering ol' geezer cave to play more Duane Eddy records. "...Hey you kids, stay off my lawn!..."

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:48 pm

standards guy wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:...I figured he wanted the effects on the tremolo directly. The impact on sustain was minimal, might get an extra second with an unplugged note. My experience was not it increased high frequency but LOW frequency...

"D'oH!"

I totally missed we are talking about a Floyd. But you are right anyway.

Ok, I'll just retreat again to my doddering ol' geezer cave to play more Duane Eddy records. "...Hey you kids, stay off my lawn!..."

The other weird thing to be conscious of, the strings had more energy after the upgrade. This caused palm muting to be uncomfortable for a few days, you know that too much vibration feeling? Either way, we all notice different things, as Standards Guy has illustrated, your mileage may vary. I was surprised with my results as I have always been rather skeptical of this upgrade.

Seeing as you were dealing with steel blocks, the results could be very different. Steel would probably have been a lot cheaper, but I have not seen a steel floyd block before. I imagine it would do a good job, you can get it to a good hardness, it has a high stiffness, which I think would help lessen the importances of mass (resonant frequency is root (mass/stiffness). I am still undecided as to whether resonance is a good thing though, in theory the right note could sustain for quite a while if resonance occured.