Clapton... playing a burst Les Paul?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-isBSTqpdY

I love his strat sound, but he seems so at home on a Les Paul. Very swampy sound

Re: Clapton... playing a burst Les Paul?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Howdy:

Clapton is one of those gifted people no matter what guitar he picks up it sounds great. I've seen him play a Les Paul, SG, ES-335, Explorer, Stratocaster, just to name a few "electrics" and he has a wide collection of acoustics he rotates through.

I'd be curious to know if a G&L ever graced his hands?

Tim

I believe he had a G&L listed in his auction catalog when he auctioned off many of his guitars, including Brownie and Blackie. I don't
recall if it was a Legacy or an ASAT Classic or some other G&L model. I sure would like to know the history of that guitar and his impression
of it. I waited too long to order one of the catalogs before they were gone.

Anyone know more about this?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:59 am

Might just be that video but I found the guitar ridiculously muddy sounding.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 pm

I'd have to agree but I think it's the gain on the vocal, guitar, and
organ mic's that are the problem..

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:30 pm

He played a Paul when he was with John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, before he got into Cream. Not sure what he had with the Yardbirds.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 am

Craig wrote:
Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Howdy:

Clapton is one of those gifted people no matter what guitar he picks up it sounds great. I've seen him play a Les Paul, SG, ES-335, Explorer, Stratocaster, just to name a few "electrics" and he has a wide collection of acoustics he rotates through.

I'd be curious to know if a G&L ever graced his hands?

Tim

I believe he had a G&L listed in his auction catalog when he auctioned off many of his guitars, including Brownie and Blackie. I don't
recall if it was a Legacy or an ASAT Classic or some other G&L model. I sure would like to know the history of that guitar and his impression
of it. I waited too long to order one of the catalogs before they were gone.

Anyone know more about this?

Not sure if there were any G&L's listed for auction, but here are the result of the 1999 and 2004 Crossroads Auctions:

1999: http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton- ... tion-compl

2004: http://www.stratcollector.com/corner/ar ... 00255.html

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 am

A friend of mine says he has a picture of Clapton playing a G&L, don't know when or where, I've been bugging him to get that pic over to me for a while, I'll post it when I grt it.

gary

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:23 am

westsideduck wrote:A friend of mine says he has a picture of Clapton playing a G&L, don't know when or where, I've been bugging him to get that pic over to me for a while, I'll post it when I grt it.

gary

I definitely would love to see that photo :thumbup:

I was blown away, when I came across these of Peter Green:

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am

First time I saw Clapton back in 1967 he was playing that Les Paul SG.