Ampeg TriAx VT 120, any users? + Help with used good stores

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 pm

There's this second hand music gear store nearby and I stop off there every now and then to check out what they have. There hasn't been much of interest recently but today! They have three different Ampegs in there, one of which is very interesting, a Tri-Ax VT120. Switchable between 60 and 120 (!) watts. I didn't have time just now to play it, gonna go back tomorrow and check it out. Anyone ever used one?

Does anyone know how these places work? Is there a good way to get discounts etc? I've never dealt with these sorts of stores. This place has a whole bunch of stuff in there and it all seems WAY overpriced. The amp I'm interested is priced far beyond what anyone in their right mind would pay for it. It's in a very bad cosmetic state (rehoused as a piggy back style amp in a blue tolex cab which is peeling very badly and a panel s missing off the front) and the reverb doesnt work so should I have bargaining room. I think it'd be worth about 70% of its current price.

Re: Ampeg TriAx VT 120, any users? + Help with used good stores

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

I have had bad luck in second hand music stores as my friend was too lenient. They were very inflexible at the one (all they sold was used stuff and entry level gear imo) and would not even toss in a set of strings (they were rusted) without them being purchased. This could be my friends complacency though even though I tried to barter with them.