Tom Jones

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:47 pm

"Praise and Blame" is his new album.

Tore it up on Letterman. Check out his You Tube Channel for more, and drop $10 for the CD on Amazon.

jamie

[youtube]7UTf2nXPPhM[/youtube]

Re: Tom Jones

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Still got some pipes on him, never been a Tom Jones fan, so I have only heard him used in place of a random crooner on sitcoms and whatnot. That made that a little unusual (that's right, I went there).

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Back in the day... Tom Jones was a mans man! That guy could sing and dance like most guys would never attempt. I think I like this better though. From Wales I believe.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 am

I like Tom Jones. Always have - I have a Welsh background and my surname is Jones too. He's a blues aficionado from way back. he was in one of the Scorses produced films about the blues, he did a song with Jeff Beck and a few other British blues guys. He also does a bit of country - I didn't know this but recently found a compilation called 'Tom Jones in Nashville' in a second hand record store. It's not trad country, more '70s pop country, but it's pretty good just the same.

A few years back I was in the Welsh Club in Cardiff (Caerdydd in the local language, the capital city of Wales, or Cwymru - yes I'm being a smart-arse here ;) ) with my cousin. We were the only ones dancing until 'It's Not Unusual' came on - it was like someone flipped a switch and everyone else in the room who until this point had been sitting around solemnly either started dancing or singing along or both. It was great!

Tom Jones & Mark Knopfler

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Sure like this un. jamie

[youtube]ANQW7V6OCPc[/youtube]

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:56 pm

That is another awesome one, Knopfler kind of made it for me, love that mans playing.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

I love TJ. The man just ROCKS! Always loved "She's A Lady", which I believe was written by Paul Anka. BTW, Anka also wrote Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" theme. How'd you like to have the royalties for that one? !!!!! Better make that $$$$$$$!!!!!!

Love the Welsh. On the 4th of July, 1976, wound up drinking with a bunch of sailors off a British ship docked in the port close to the bar where I was performing. After the show, we went back to the ship and had "a few" (HA!) more. OMG!!!! Talk about a hangover the next day. Even the Aussies were complaining about how much the Welsh guys could drink. I just remember it being a memorable event. (Though thankfully I don't, or can't, remember much of it!)

Thanks for the clips!

Bill

Bought "Praise And Blame"

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:57 pm

WOW!

The uptempo songs hit like a sledgehammer.

In the slower, moodier songs, I hear Tom mining the depths of his soul.

Listen to Tom's interpretation of Dylan's "What Good Am I?".

Got to be the best CD purchase I have made in several years.

Jamie

[youtube]R3-2oAzJ_h0[/youtube]

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Nice. I like that clip from Letterman. I usually DVR Letterman but guess
I missed that one. I have a Best Of Tom Jones cd at home but I don't think it has
anything like that on it. Mainly that smaltzy stuff like What's New Pussycat and She's a Lady
that you'd hear on an Austin Powers type soundtrack. Just might have to get this new one.