15 Albums in 15 Minutes

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:11 am

A friend of mine invented this exercise and hit me with it on Facebook and I thought, seeing as how it's a holiday weekend here in the states, it might be fun to see how our collective minds think (?) and how we react. I couldn't stop with 15 but I did work pretty much off the top of my head and there were a lot more bands that kept popping into my head. afterwards so there is no shame in forgetting the Stones, or the Kinks as I did. (I'm so ashamed) I'll post my answer and I do look forward to your responses.

Speed is the key. His instructions are:

The rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen albums you've heard that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. (Of course, if you're gonna write ABOUT your choices, it may take a bit longer.)

The rest were instructions about how to use "notes" on Facebook. Irrelevant here.

Enjoy,

Brian

My 15+

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 am

Only 15?

1 The Who "Tommy" The first time I ever heard a guitar pick hit a string.

2 Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow"
Truly interesting and difficult music.

3 The Who, "Who's Next" Not one bad song, awkward moment to be found.

4 Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim. (Girl From Ipanema) I never thought I'd like Brazilian Jazz.

5 Brand X "Unorthodox Behaviour" I promise you will never hear Phil Collins play like this again.

6 Dave Mason "It's Like You Never Left" as perfect a 70's rock album as can be found. All Star cast.

7 Buddy Guy "Feels Like Rain" Complete array of emotion. From sad to joyous.

8 Melos Quartett Stuttgart "MozartString Quartets in E flat major KV428, in B flat majo0r KV458 Jagd (Hunt)"
I worked in a music store during college and learned to hate Rock...and REALLY hate disco. Found this and it made me appreciate a lot of music. Still don't like disco, though.

9 Carlos Satan "Borbaletta" An album featuring lots of Gato barbieerri. Remember what I said about Brazilian Jazz?

10 John Coltrane "My Favorite Things" Made Rogers and Hamerstein nine minutes of wondrful.

11 Pink Floyd "Meddle"
One of these days... (do you know the rest of the lyric?)

12 Elvis Costello. "My Aim is True" I have never grown tired of this record.

13 Beatles "The Beatles" (White album) Their musicianship was at its peak in my opinion.

14 John Coltrane and Duke Ellington. Also the title of the record. If "In a Sentimental Mood" doesn't get you laid then you are alone and your hand is tired.

15 Gary Moore "Ballads and Blues" Slick and beautiful.

16 SRV Everything he ever did except for "Soul to Soul." He was too high to know how bad that record is.

17 Frank Zappa "Hot Rats." It has Peaches en Regalia and Willy the Pimp. What else does a record need?

I can't believe I didn't get to Albert Collins and B.B. King, Cream, Stevie Wonder or Bob Dylan, Leo Kottke, Joni Mitchel, Janis....

Re: 15 Albums in 15 Minutes

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:39 am

1- Travels, Pat Metheny Group: For some strange typographical reason it got 6 out 0f 5 (?!) in a Dutch music magazine and my curiosity was piqued ...
2- Exile on Main Street, Rolllng Stones: With the re-release this summer I think enough has been said about this album.
3- The Last Waltz, The Band: As a teenager I was into live recordings and this was my first encounter with the Band
4- Who's Next, the Who: see post above
5- Spritz, Herman Brood & His Wild Romance: camping in the rain comes to mind while a national radio station plays the new album in its entirety
6- Umoja, Bløf: Another Dutch band, I had been here in the US for about a decade already and had completely missed their rise. But when a family member brought this album ...
7- Kind of Blue, Miles Davis: oh my ... Still holds up after 60 years!
8- Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd: Played it over and over again before falling to sleep.
9- Sheik Yerbouti, Frank Zappa: My first encounter with that genius.
10- Punch the Clock, Elvis Costello: 'Every Day I Write The Book' is still one of my all time tunes
11- Time On My Hands, John Scofield: An din a similar vain ...
12- Lookout For Hope, Bill Frisell: my first encounters with these modern poets on the guitar
13- Ten, Pearl Jam: can listen to this over and over again still
14- Seeds of Love, Tears for Fears: Great memories from around the time I was working on my PhD thesis
15- Aegis Byrjun, Sigur Rós: Who cares you don't understand Icelandic/Hopelandic?
16- Cordon Blue, Solution: Another plug for another great Dutch Band. Great musicianship and highly correlated with my courtship of my wife
17- Pretenders, Pretenders: Great riffs ...
18- Day at the Races, Queen: My very first album bought with my own money. Tie your mother down ...
19- Ooops, time's up.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:54 am

1- The Human Equation - Ayreon - best rock opera I have ever heard to date.
2- Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Dream Theater - Contains the count of tuscany, probably the best long song I have ever heard
3- Hold your fire - Rush- one of my favourite rush albums, particularly enjoyed in my teen years
4- Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - derrr.
5- Snakes and Arrows - Rush - in my opinion one of their best albums, greatly enjoy it
6- A Night at the Opera - Blind Guardian - The album that dipped my feet into power metal
7- Greatest hits (red) - Aerosmith - just always liked the tunes on that album, until my father's wife destroyed it through neglect
8- Professor Satchafunkalicus and the Musterion of Rock - Joe Satriani - A nice change of pace from his stuff, a little more laid back
9- Into Electric Castle - Ayreon - Another fantastic rock opera
10 - Demons and Wizards - Uriah Heap - There is just something about this one, can't shake it, love the album
11 - Aqualung - Jethro Tull - My favourite Tull album, love how it flows between songs near seemlessly
12- Dance of Death - Iron Maiden - first album I had heard since the return of Bruce (missed brave new world) for some reason this album did a lot more to capture my interest
13- Creek Drank the Cradle - Iron and Wine - A good folky sort of album
14- Within a Mile of Home - Flogging Molly - some odd celtic/punk mix, kind of like the pogues on roids.
15- The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Bowie - imo not a bad choice if you are going to pick up a bowie album.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:25 am

Ok, but no order:

1. Frank Zappa / The Mothers: Roxy & Elsewhere - Thanks Lou!
2. Judas Priest: Painkiller
3. Laurel Aitken: The Blue Beat Years
4. Johnny Cash: The Essential Johnny Cash
5. Mickey Hart: Mystery Box
6. Steely Dan: Countdown To Ecstasy
7. Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic
8. Steely Dan: Katy Lied
9. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
10. Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans
11. Yes: Close To The Edge
12. Yes: The Yes Album
13. Yes: Time And A Word
14. King Crimson: Lark's Tongue In Aspic
15. King Crimson: Red

16. King Crimson: Lizard
17. The Firesign Theatre: Don't Crush The Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers

Hey, I said no order...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

1. A night at the opera - Queen
2. Silence followed by a deafening roar - Paul Gilbert
3. But seriously, folks - Joe walsh
4. Surfing With the Alien - Joe satriani
5. Revolver - The Beatles
6. 2112 - Rush
7. Moving Pictures - Rush
8. Rubber soul - The beatles
9. Sheer Heart Attack - Queen
10. Get Out of my Yard - Paul Gilbert
11. Texas Flood - SRV
12. Diver Down - Van Halen
13. Van Halen - Van Halen
14. News of the World - Queen
15. Anything by jaco pastorius

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm

THis is a little old, but I have got the flu and am super bored. This looks like fun.

No particular order.

1. Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones
2. Some Girls - The Rolling Stones
3. Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town - Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band
4. Appetite for Destruction - Guns and Roses
5. Chester and Lester -
6. Rubber Soul - The Beatles
7. Endless Boogie - John Lee Hooker
8. Bring 'em In - Buddy Guy
((I have got to stop with the blues, and the stones for that matter, could just go and go.))
9. Honky Tonk Hero's - Waylon Jennings
10. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
11. Simple Truths - Holmes Brothers
12. Blind Faith
13. Disraeli Gears - Cream
14. Who's Next - The Who
15. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
16. In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin

( I have three minutes left) No I don't I changed my mind about Zeppelin 14 times,