The Fate Of Independant Music Stores

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:07 pm

This is a bit relevant to the discussion in the LR regarding opening a music store.
I lived in Santa Rosa, CA from '78 to '97. I have since moved 1,000 miles away, but still have ties there and keep up with the news via their online newspaper. I ran across this today: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... c=pg&tc=ar

When I first moved to Santa Rosa the only music store I remember was a 30 year old established strait-laced store called Stanroy's. I referred to it as your "parents" store. It was a full service store, that did sell some guitars and amps, but much of the display area was taken up with pianos and orchestral/band instruments for sale or rent. You could take lessons or rent school band instruments.

Shortly after this, Don Andress, who would become a close friend until he passed away last year, opened Andress Sound. He was one of the earliest G&L dealers. He moved his small store 3 times before he was forced to go out of business sometime in the '90s.

There was another hole-in-wall store 30 miles north in Healdsburg that eventually folded along with another one in Petaluma and one in Santa Rosa called Stars. I never liked the feel of these stores and may have only perhaps bought a few sets of strings over the years.

About the same time as Andress sound came on the scene, Zone Music (the one in the article) started out in Cotati--about 15-20 miles south of Santa Rosa.
This was a cool store owned and staffed by hip young musicians. Zone kept growing over the years to include a separate store for used gear, a repair shop, and a recording studio.

After the closure of Andress Sound, Zone was the only "cool" music store around other than a great little store with a surprisingly large inventory in Petaluma called Tall Toad (which I believe is still open--it would be interesting to know how healthy their businees still is).

The original Stanroy's after 60 years in business was also recently forced to downsize and move into a considerably smaller location.

The news about Zone music is discouraging -- I hope I am wrong, but it may be just delaying the inevitable complete closure of the store. I don't remember Zone selling G&L while I was living there, but according to the G&L website they are an authorized dealer. I'm not sure if this will be the case after their restructuring.

The closest Guitar Center stores are at least 50 miles away in a couple of different directions from Santa Rosa.

GDub is probably familiar with Zone Music as he does not live very far from them.

Frank, the owner is a great guy and as it says in the article, there were many benefits that he arranged for local musicians and their families with serious health problems who had no insurance. I wish him all the best.

And to anyone who wants to open their own store-----Good Luck!

Re: The Fate Of Independant Music Stores

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Suave Eddie, yes times have changed. In the 60s B Sharp was a big one here in Minneapolis. He was the largest Fender dealer and supplied guitars and amps to most of the musicians in this town. Our band bought all our equipment from the owner, Jim. I had not been there 45 years and I stopped in a couple of months ago. They have mostly low end and student level equipment. There was not a guitar in the store that I was interested in and I understand that Jims sons now run the place. Yes, times have changed. Our local GC in Roseville has changed. They no longer stock any Fender Custom Shop guitars. Most of the people in there are kids who are shredding. It has to be tough for the Mom and Pops. If you want to see some high end stuff here you almost have to go to American Band and Guitar. They do have some cool guitars and are also G&L dealers with a decent inventory of G&Ls. That is where my F-100 Return came from. I visit them all looking for a gem but the true gems don't turn up very often. That is also probably best for me.--- Darwin

Re: The Fate Of Independant Music Stores

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 am

darwinohm wrote:If you want to see some high end stuff here you almost have to go to American Band and Guitar. They do have some cool guitars and are also G&L dealers with a decent inventory of G&Ls. That is where my F-100 Return came from. I visit them all looking for a gem but the true gems don't turn up very often. That is also probably best for me.--- Darwin

Yes, they do. Music Plus used to be a G&L dealer too in the nineties. They moved, made a name change and no longer carry them.

Here is a question: how does a guitar company making both foreign and domestic models successfully promote both when the "foreign" builders create a better product? Do they force them to use inferior components? A hideous moniker on the headstock? Less options? I think this may end up being the fate of some builders...