Must Have Pedals

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 am

I'm thinking about adding a new pedal but can't decide what I might enjoy. What are your must have pedals?
I've thought of adding a distortion unit; I just use OD pedals currently.
Have also looked at boost pedals like the MXR Micro Amp and the new Boss BP-1w. Does a boost differ much from a clean OD pedal?
Have also thought of a volume pedal to use in the loop. Does anyone do that?

Re: Must Have Pedals

Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:49 pm

Check out Chase Tone pedals.. Small company with great pedals. I've been using the "Secret Preamp" pedal for a couple years now. It's basically a copy of the preamp found in the EP3 Echoplex. If your an old Echoplex users from back in the day, you'll remember the how turning up the volume on the Echoplex used to thicken up the sound, add some sustain without changing the tone or making it fuzzy. This pedal does exactly the same.

He also has an array of Fuzz pedals with different chips that'll cover about anything your looking for, along with a few other different pedals. I believe Kyle Chase is still a one man operation and will answer any questions and give suggestions on what he has that may hit the tone your looking for.

https://chasetone.com/

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:29 pm

I like my Eventide Time Factor

Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:56 am

My must have in the chain are a BBE Sonic Stomp, a distortion of some variety but seem to always have my 80’s RAT in the mix. BBE 447 stacks well with OD’s. I choose between a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Green Screamer V2 or a kit pedal snagged off fleabay for OD.

Others like a delay or trem find their way as well.

Happy hunting!

Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:36 pm

Frankie wrote:Check out Chase Tone pedals.. Small company with great pedals. I've been using the "Secret Preamp" pedal for a couple years now. It's basically a copy of the preamp found in the EP3 Echoplex. If your an old Echoplex users from back in the day, you'll remember the how turning up the volume on the Echoplex used to thicken up the sound, add some sustain without changing the tone or making it fuzzy. This pedal does exactly the same.

He also has an array of Fuzz pedals with different chips that'll cover about anything your looking for, along with a few other different pedals. I believe Kyle Chase is still a one man operation and will answer any questions and give suggestions on what he has that may hit the tone your looking for.

https://chasetone.com/

That looks/sounds really good.
Intrestingly I had already opted to try the new Boss BP-1w preamp. It has three modes; two are vintage preamp styles. Never had a preamp pedal but it's working great for my current needs. Super fun to use.

@Sam, I had actually been considering a Rat of some kind or maybe a Boss DS-1. I don't have a distortion pedal currently. Maybe that will be next.