'65 prri

Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:22 pm

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a couple years since i saw a guy playing through one in a local pub near me in chesapeake city, MD. New, they are a bit expensive, but always the bargain shopper, I sniffed out a goody on the verb. Excellent condition, and the original jensen speaker has been replaced with an eminence ragin' cajun 10 inch. Got a good deal, she's in great shape, seems like a quality build, and sounds awesome! could be a 1/2 nighter, i'm too old to stay up all night any more. :shocked028:

it's been 33 years since i owned a fender tube amp, got some catchin up to do.
anybody here have opinions on the ragin cajun 10" ??

Re: '65 prri

Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:49 am

I've read in a few places now that dropping a Ragin' Cajun (specifically) into a Princeton is a very good upgrade. Great choice for Blues and Jazz.

I've thought about getting one of these for a while now, with the intent of dropping an RC in it pretty quick.

That being said, I haven't personally owned/played a Princeton with an RC speaker, though I do have two Blues Jrs - both with Eminence speakers (Texas Heat, and Cannabis Rex) dropped in, and in both cases the sound was better than the original Jensen (in the tweed) and the Celestion in the other (according to my opinion/preferences).

What the Princeton has going for it is the ability to overdrive the tubes at lower volumes. This works well for playing at home, recording, and smaller more intimate (mic'd) venues. From what I've heard, the Cajun speakers pair well for this reason.

Your mileage may vary. I haven't heard from Elwood in a couple of years, but he'd be a great resource for this topic.

Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:35 am

Great score John!

I’ve looked at those for years as well and kind of on wish list if I could find the bottom feeder deal. Currently have a Deluxe Reverb that I put a EVM 12L in and love it. Different beast all together. Have heard good things about a Rajin Cajun so yer in good hands. I do have a Weber in a ‘79 VibroChamp that is better than the Oxford. Weber has possible options for the PRRI. Look forward to your reports

Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:52 pm

thanks, guys!

after playing it for 4 days, i'm quite satisfied so far.
it's pretty clean until you get the volume > 7 which is pretty loud. this one has alot of head room for a 15 watt amp.
supposedly the ragin cajun expands the headroom, perhaps by virtue of the fact it's rated at 70 watts/@8 ohms.
there's nothing not to like about it. i've played a tele, an asat classic S and an SG through it so far and i like everything i hear.
nice tones, juicy with tone and clear. i've been playing the vol at 3 with reverb at 3.5, treb at 6.5 and bass at 4. i have used the ocd pedal thru it for just a little edge at lower volume. seems like a great small room amp.

i'll get to try it out at a blues session at a local bar/restaurant in a couple weeks and we'll see how it likes the room.
i played thru a DRRI last week at a different blues jam and that had some nice power!

Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:34 pm

Congratulations! It looks really nice. I have always wanted a good Fender amp; some of them sound amazing.
Never bonded with the Blues Deville I owned...

Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:51 pm

thanks Mutts, so far it's met every expectation i have.
this one's pretty clean. from what I've seen, the '68 reissue breaks up at about vol 3 and that's not what i was looking for.
i'd rather use a pedal and dial in a little grit if desired. it has surprising head room for a 15 watt thru 10 in.
i'm going to play a small room this tuesday and see how it works out in a jam setting.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:59 pm

Dan, I have an eminence cannabis rex 12 in speaker in my old '88 Peavey studio pro 60 for about 10 years now.
it is very clean, sometimes i play a keyboard through it. the peavey has a line level out on it which i run to the board and i use the peavey just for stage level so i can hear it. sounds great! i'd say it gets great "highs" :lol:

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:17 am

john o wrote:Dan, I have an eminence cannabis rex 12 in speaker in my old '88 Peavey studio pro 60 for about 10 years now.
it is very clean, sometimes i play a keyboard through it. the peavey has a line level out on it which i run to the board and i use the peavey just for stage level so i can hear it. sounds great! i'd say it gets great "highs" :lol:

Hehe.. Thanks for the smiles that brought.