Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds

Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:43 pm

So, been a LONG time since I’ve listened to an album start to finish, let alone more than once in two days, and even wrote about it. With that as a litmus test the new new Rolling Stones met the requirements. I’m not a big Rolling Stones fan, and I do like their music over the years, more of a Beatles fan between the two. But this collection of songs seems to hit every button of music through the years and even hits on current sounds. I’ve listened a number of times over past week and this album is a keeper.

II thought the initial release and video “Angry” was pretty good but made me think what will the rest of it sound like. I’ll be damned if they didn’t deliver. Steve Jordan fits in on drums quite nicely. A little harder than Charlie Watts but since he played with Richards in the Expensive Winos he understands Keith’s tempo. Mick sounds as good as ever. Man I hope I can sound that good at 80. Keith is Keith, consistent and throws in a few tasty riffs.

Not to cover my option on every song, but a few of my faves are: Dreamy Skies (love the acoustic slide and slinky feel), Depending on You (old school Stones), Driving me too hard (Some Girls era), Livw by the Sword (Charlie Watts drums, nice driving guitar sounds), Bite My Head Off (great kiss my ass song, even reminds me of Alice Cooper’a I’ll bite your face off, and Paul
McCartney plays some ripping distorted bass on that song), Sweet Sounds of Heaven (Lady Gaga doing background vocals takes me straight to Let It Bleed) and they round it out doing Rolling Stones Blues as a tribute to Muddy Waters Like a Rolling Stone, talk about coming full circle. Could write about other songs but go listen for yourself.

Who here has heard it and what do ya’ think?

Re: Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds

Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:34 pm

I agree with all your comments Sam. I am a huge Rolling Stones fan going back to the early 60's (loved the Beatles too). I keep my '91 ASAT Signature with 5 strings tuned in open G. I was very excited when it was announced that they were working on a new studio album and really hoped it wasn't going to be a rehash of the past. From the book that came with the version I got, it seems Jagger had those same fears. I was really happy with the results and like the album a lot. It's not Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street, but there are a bunch of really good songs, and some excellent ones. It's very impressive that a bunch of wildly rich 80 year old guys are still doing it. I plan to show up next time they Roll through town, though I'll really miss Charlie. I saw Richard's X-Pensive Winos show in the 80's. It was an excellent band featuring Sarah Dash singing backup. Keith opened with a great cover of Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else". A lot of fun.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:08 am

I have been a Stones fan from the beginning (yeah, I'm that old ). Was a bit apprehensive that this new release would be just a money grab and not that exiting. I am happy to admit I was mistaken. The more I listen, the more I like it!
If only Keef and Ronny played G%Ls ...

Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:04 am

Love hearing you guy’s comments. You hit the nail on the head with the money grab fear. Didn’t get that out in my review, but it was in the back of my mind. This definitely is no sloppy set of songs to throw music to the masses. “Sticky Fingers” that was an all time great. :thumbup:

Tour tickets will cost a fortune I’m sure, but may have to buy some of the “cheap” seats just to see them live. Missed tours in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s where I had tickets but various circumstances prevented me from going. Whole nother stories :roll:

Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:59 am

My first real concert was seeing the Stones in Chicago in 1969. A high school chum and I rode a train to Chicago for the event. Chuck Berry opened for them and had to greatly extend his set while Keef pulled it together enough to play.
Same buddy and I saw the 50th tour in Anaheim where I managed to score some VIP passes from Chuck Levell. Great time!

Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:54 am

Long time fan here too. I just bought the album on CD for my wife. Looking forward to listening in full after she is done. I've checked out several cuts on YT and thought it sounded pretty damn good.
I never saw them live and don't have much interest in stadium shows. Would love to see the Expensive Winos- kick myself for missing that back in the 90s.
Everybody always rants over the Mick Taylor years- I do too but I really love Ronnie and Keith together

Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:15 pm

I have seen many Rolling Stones shows since the late 1970's. For the longest time I had this gnawing fear that I would go to the concert and see a bunch of old guys playing at being The Rolling Stones. Never happened. Every concert was a band clearly trying to live up to the moniker of "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World". They gave it all they had and were obviously having fun doing it. I would leave wondering how they could possibly do that night after night; realizing that I didn't have the stamina necessary to merely attend the shows that often. Sure, Jagger doesn't move as quickly as he did, and his voice doesn't have the range it had, but oh well...

At one concert in L.A. there was a young girl sitting next to my wife with her grandmother who wanted to make sure that the kid got to experience The Rolling Stones. From all appearances it was a hit for her too. As we were leaving, walking through the venue concourse, I passed a woman shuffling along with a walker and a big smile on her face. There is no cure for birthdays, and I was crushed when Charlie Watts passed away. I considered stopping my Stones concert attendance, but this album changed my mind. As long as Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and I are still alive, I'll keep going. One day it will end, but until then, I almost feel like if they're gonna' keep doing it, its my responsibility to keep showing up.