Greta Van Fleet show

Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:27 pm

Yea yea yea, we've all heard Led Zepplin copy band but I was in DC last week and saw they were playing within walking distance so I took a chance to check them out. (scored tix really cheap on StubHub) I gotta say they are an entertaining band. Reminds me 70's-80's rock shows, not a big production, just 2 hours non-stop music and good audience interaction. Lot of guitar solos and even the lost drum solo. :alright: I was not familiar with any of their songs but it was basically a sold out show and their fans were singing along to every song. The Led Zep comparison is from a few songs but I heard hints of Rush and Styx in the mix. They are from Michigan and when talking sound like they are from Canada so there's the Rush sound.

Worth the price of admission for me. :thumbup:

Re: Greta Van Fleet show

Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:39 am

I picked up their first album when it came out.

Highway tune and Safari Song (if anyone hasn't heard them) sound pretty much like Led Zeppelin pre-1973 (before Plant had surgery on his vocal chords). I guess if I could sound like an early Robert Plant, I'd be singing songs that resemble early Led Zeppelin too. They have other stuff, but I haven't kept up with the band. My interest was piqued when I heard those two songs, because they are uncanny. But I haven't really explored their other albums. Their fame, such as it is, began largely because of their ability to sound (especially vocally) like Led Zeppelin when they were at their peak. For me I like the songs that made me nostalgic for early Led Zep. I haven't really followed them, but I would go see them if they played locally.

Sounds like it was a good show. Thanks for sharing Sam.