Dead and Company Atlanta

Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Hey now!

Caught Dead and Company with my wife Sunday night in Atlanta, and after some ticket hassles it was an exceptional show. :happy0065: First the good parts. The entire band was on fire. They had a rest day before and everypne was smilling and in top form. Bob Weir and John Mayer played some wicked lines throughout the show. Otiel Burbridge pulled out a bass solo no one saw coming. They played a good mix of Dead standards and great covers of It HurtsMe Too and Morning
Dew (coming out of a ripping Terrapin Station) A few of my favorites were good to hear since it's Dead & Co Final tour, Friend of the Devil, Tennessee Jed and China Cat Sunflower / I KNow You Rider. :elguitar054:

Now the BAD :x DONOT EVER buy tickets through reseller TicketNetwork. They were linked to the Dead tour page but did not deliver, on phone and text up to an hour before show started only to be told "they cannot reach the seller". So a last minute Ticketmaster grab got tickets close to stagemuch cheaper than they had bee, but still more than the ones not delivered. THEN the que to go through security was 1 hr long! Lakewood Amphitheater is nothing like it used to be, won't go there again. Was out in line during opening songs Cassidy and Deal, could hear but still not see. That was a pain, but the crowd was great, all had a good time and the show was worth the price of admission. :banana: Will try to catch another show or two if "work travel" can be coordinated! :evilgrin: Watched the opening two nights in Los Angeles on nugs.net and this was every bit as good. If yer a Dead fan, it's worth the price to sign up, you can hear tons of shows, see live shows and they also have many other bands to hear and see.

Proof I was there

Re: Dead and Company Atlanta

Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:24 am

glad u got to see Dead & Co on the final tour, Sam!
i heard Billy K is not with them on this one, he's doing his own thing.
i also heard his replacement is a great player, watched one of the videos, agree!
the tickets thing sounds like an unpleasant nightmare.

i've seen D&Co 4 times since 2016 so i was on the fence about this tour.
they were all good experiences. i downloaded the performances from Nugs and still go back and listen to them.
i also saw Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers at Lock'n festival a few years back and thought they were terrible.
He needs a bigger band around him with another guitarist, (like JM)!

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:36 am

Thanks Sam for the review and the pics! I do envy you the opportunities you have to see so many great bands!

where is that envy emoji? :mrgreen:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:55 am

Sam, your commitment to attending shows is commendable. " Next time " does not apply to you. Rock on.

Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:01 am

Thanks Dan,

I've seen Dead and Co a few times and this go round is one of the best. Jay Lane is the drummer for Billy K, quite good. He's played with Ratdog (saw them in 2008) and Wolf Brothers so you saw him as well. I past on the Wolf Bros, glad I did based on your review. I was unsure about the show without Billy but Jay is a great match.

Agree on nugs, what a great way to re-see / re-hear shows :thumbup:

envy emoji? maybe after seing my $20 shirt from the parking lot

Image Image

Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 am

Thanks for posting about the show, Sam! Glad that you overcame the hurdles and enjoyed the show.

I'm looking forward to the SF shows. I'd like to travel to a couple others, but probably won't.

I've seen a show almost every year that they've toured (missed two last summer after catching COVID at Phil Lesh's outdoor show in June?!?). I've also watched a number of the live streams, particularly during fall 2021. I've always been satisfied with Mayer's playing, and the music is living, breathing, and exploring new spaces.

Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:31 am

sam wrote:Thanks Dan,

I've seen Dead and Co a few times and this go round is one of the best. Jay Lane is the drummer for Billy K, quite good. He's played with Ratdog (saw them in 2008) and Wolf Brothers so you saw him as well. I past on the Wolf Bros, glad I did based on your review. I was unsure about the show without Billy but Jay is a great match.

Agree on nugs, what a great way to re-see / re-hear shows :thumbup:

I think this part was aimed at john o, though I appreciate the nod on his behalf :sign0011:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:31 pm

Totally on the run today, missed john o!

tomanche - I may catch the SF Sunday show. Hope schedule holds out :searching:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:54 pm

Hey Paul,

I’m just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time for a lot of the shows. The cost of tickets is hampering me some these days though. Lots I’d like to see but unless I can get advance ticket savings or a good deal I’m not seeing the bands I’d just “like to see” versus the ones I really want to see. Even some of the really want to see are charging more than I will cough up. Some of the older bands are playing smaller venues for “reasonable” prices so that helps.

Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 pm

Good news update on the tickets, got refunded after a few calls and emails.

Helps to replenish the coffers for some other concert this summer! :elguitar054:

Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:30 am

Tix prices are way out of control, all those fees... The ticketmaster/live nation thing is way too powerful.
I remember a show I saw at the Spectrum in Philly back in Sept 1977, a "back to school" concert featuring Foreigner, Derringer and the Little River Band, tickets were $5. Now, the dollar went a little further back then, but still...

I wasn't going to ante up for Dead and Co this time, but my son called me Tuesday and said he had Dead tix for the Citizens Bank Park (Phillies) show for Thursday, so I got to see them anyway! I'm a grateful dad! It was a lovely night, we were upper level, but there ain't a bad seat in that place.
They played very well, better than I remembered from last time, and the keyboard solo by Jeff Chimenti on Eyes of the World was astounding.

6/15/2023 Philadelphia
Set One

Women Are Smarter
Shakedown Street
Cold, Rain, and Snow
Jack Straw
Brown Eyed Women
Dark Star
El Paso
Don't Ease Me In

Set Two

Fire On The Mountain
New Speedway Boogie
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
Drums
Space
Dark Star
Cumberland Blues
Standing on the Moon
Not Fade Away

Encore: Ripple

Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:10 am

Hey john,

Good for you! :banana: Yep, I remember the days of decent prices, The Who 5th row for something like $12 bucks, and thought $28 for Dylan in 1980 was highway robbery. Don’t even want to think about prices now.

I’ve been following the shows each night on setlist.fm and when I saw the Philly setlist was a bit jealous. Dark Star I bet was a treat, and El Paso is one of my favorite covers they do. Estimated / Eyes is always great and yes, Jeff was better to me this time than the last I saw a couple of years back. Good to see them throwing in later songs like Standing on the Moon as well. Looks and sounds like a good time had by all. Grateful Dad for sure, obviously well deserved with yer son getting tix. :thumbup: